Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » "roadhouse" style resturants « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW's series on B-B-Q's in Windsor made me think of this.

Anyone remember, or have pictures of the two family style chicken dinner houses that lasted until about 1960 on North Woodward Avenue? One was torn down to build the Amy Joy at 10 Mile and Woodward, one was just north of the Susie-Q on the same side of the street.

And no, the Chicken Delight at Woodward and 11 Mile doesn't count....

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you mean Chicken Shack, just north of the Susie Q (between Webster and 13 Mile on Woodward), it's still there. BTW, Where's this Chicken Delight?

Douglasm

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't think that's it. Both these places were two or three story clapboard sided "houses". The one north of Susie Q was set back a bit from the highway. It was torn down (I thought) and replaced in the mid '60's by a Chinese take out place that looked like somebody's idea of a pagoda made out of plastic. Both the resturants in question delt in sit down dinners.

Chicken Delight, on the other hand, was a takeout/delivery chain that went pretty much belly up in the mid 60's, except in Canada. They had a location on Woodward, near Paul's Car Wash, in the general location of the old pet store.

When I was a youngster, when Dad (who was a heater/air conditioner design engineer for Chrysler) went on test trips, the big treat was having dinner delivered by Chicken Delight. When I got a little older, and Chicken Delight closed, it was pizza at Comos, or dinner at Ray Crotons Supper Club......

www.chickendelight.com

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmmmmMMMMM, chicken

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't cook tonight--get Chicken Delight" A huge treat to me too!

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the chicken home style restaurant was Aunt Fanny's. It was located near Shrine on the same side of the street. It was a three story pre civil war house with a porch. It was told to us that during the civil war it was a stop on the underground railroad. There were small almost hidden staircases. The house set back from Woodward and was painted white.

Douglasm

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bu George, I think they got it!

What about the one at 10 Mile and Woodward? And do any of these type places exist anywhere anymore?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.