Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Not Another One. Where are the Cops? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yet another atm pulled out of a store, right on gratiot at cvs. no police around. there probably were many wittnesses watching and laughing but no police. why would cvs want to stay in Detroit. they spend more on insurance and security and related things than they would in the suburbs. an atm could probably be pulled right out of a police station wall and they would still get away.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... So what is your issue exactly? That there at the very moment an ATM was stolen from CVS that cops weren't at the scene? I hope that's not your beef.. please clarify.

Where did you pull this story from?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11411
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CVS stay because it is still profitable. It isn't a one of or minor number of stores that fill the needs of the entire metro area. CVS has a huge clientele base and a ridiculous number of stores.

Profits keep them there and will continue to keep them there.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which CVS on Gratiot was it (there are 3)?

And besides, hard working citizens like myself living in the city deserves a CVS (at the least) without having to travel out to the boring suburbs for a bottle of Tylenol or a tube of Toothpaste.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080307/M ETRO/803070438/1361

Whittier70

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why there are so many of these atm's being stolen, making Detroit look bad. so many news stories too often of atm's being pulled from a building with a truck. just doesn't look good for the city. the vehicle was also stolen so somebody is out of their truck too. of coarse, the thieves got away.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3734
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the one from this morning? The cops were there quickly and were in pursuit, that's why the atm was dropped two blocks from the store. The cops called off the chase after a short bit due to icy streets. The truck they were chasing was recovered not long afterward.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, stealing ATMs doesn't just make Detroit LOOK bad. :-)

(Are we preoccupied with image here, or what?)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, why in God's name do they keep putting the damn ATM's right next to the front door? That in and of itself is like inviting them to break in and snatch them.

I know with this case, the ATM didn't make it that far. The money and smashed ATM was returned to the store.

According to the news DPD was on the scene in less than 2 minutes...Bravo for the quick response.

(Message edited by broken_main on March 07, 2008)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, 8 Mile and Gratiot. Ok.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The report I heard on Ch 7 said it was on Gratiot at McDougall.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=detroit+michigan&ie=UTF8&ll=42.363935,-83.020248&spn=0.019438,0.046778&z=15&layer=c&cbll=42.356909,-83.02913&cbp=1,325.67828610892223,,0,5

(Message edited by wash_man on March 07, 2008)

Lmcdet
Username: Lmcdet

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read the article and it said the 6th attempt in METRO Detroit this year (not Detroit proper)! Once again, something like this happens in Detroit, the next thing you every ATM crime in METRO Detroit becomes Detroit (proper) crimes. This type of crime (Like the article said) is growing trend across the nation.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash_man, someone's wrong.

Looks like the writer of the freep article gave too many zeros.

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 07, 2008)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main has a great point about the location. Usually I see them located at the back of stores. It's common sense to locate it where customers have to walk through your store (same principle as milk, bread) especially when you know they'll have a fist full of cash.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't think this type of criminal activity is exclusive to Detroit. Anyways, robbing banks pays off much easier, so i don't understand why these fools keep trying to steal ATM's. CVS is well insured also, I would think. Don't cost them a dime, does it?

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I just read the article and it said the 6th attempt in METRO Detroit this year (not Detroit proper)! Once again, something like this happens in Detroit, the next thing you every ATM crime in METRO Detroit becomes Detroit (proper) crimes."

Exactly Lmcdet! You said it in a nut shell. What happens in metro Detroit is connected to Detroit proper and likewise, what happens in Detroit proper is connected with Metro Detroit. We are all one, to onlookers. I wish we could see ourselves the same way others do.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4737
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need to start using one of these cash-staining systems: ATM Security to Dye For.
quote:

Blasted safes have been a particular security problem in Sweden, where Carozzi said criminals have ready access to dynamite and knowledge of how to use it because of its widespread use in the construction industry there.

Dynamite? Yikes!

Whittier70

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's biggest commodity: stolen copper and atm's. biggest trade: plumbing and atm repair.

Bw7085
Username: Bw7085

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like what Broken_main said they will keep stealing
the atm machines as long as they keep putting them
next to the front door. Most party stores keep there atm machines far away from the front door because they know better.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i don't think this type of criminal activity is exclusive to Detroit.

Definitely not. Almost exactly the same thing has happened at least 3 times this year alone in the Windsor area.

ATM smash and grabs and break-ins have been a problem in Ontario for awhile, it's just appears to be spreading out from the GTA more now.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 496
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes this is happening im many major cities today, Guess every city needs to be trashed where this happens. So many seem to feel Detroit has the market cornered on this activity.. Hmm , they need to read this sort of criminal activity is going on everywhere.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't a GPS go a long way here? It is going to take the robbers a little time to bust the money out of that thing, so a transponder device sounds like a good deterrent to me. Also, many times these machines are dragged to the hide-out where there are autopsied. One can simply follow the scratch marks in the road, kind of like a scent. (This, BTW, really happened with a car that was ‘hooked-n-booked’ from my brother).

Whittier70

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Bulletmagnet, with a gps you can retrieve the atm but most importantly remove the garbage from the street that committed the crime in the first place. Also don't forget two people are missing their dodge trucks, the vehicles used in the theft. And further more, were these vehicles taken at gun point from their owners. These kind of things just are not followed through.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.