Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Concerning the Job Market « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking that, with all the production capability and skilled labor force we have, why isn't Michigan jumping on these green collar jobs that are going to other states? We already have the infrastructure in place and the factories built...so why isn't Genny from the Block posturing to get Michigan a bigger piece of the action?

http://www.treehugger.com/file s/2008/03/denver-colorado-usa- gets-650-green-jobs.php

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3617
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so why isn't Genny from the Block posturing to get Michigan a bigger piece of the action?

She is.

http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/gov/Alternative_Energy_223 194_7.pdf

D_mcc

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well good, I'll insert my foot in my mouth.

Thank you very much for that clarification

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And this appears to be something the whole legislature is actually in favor of. Sen. Patterson of Canton is head of the committee that is looking at this and they just want to make sure they get it right. Jenny on the Block is pushing them to do it now. It will happen, it is just moving at the snail's pace our state government works at.

D_mcc

Post Number: 343
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as it is moving. We should be the first choice for some of these industries...the work force is here...the infrastructure is here...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2383
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but think of it this way:

If you were looking to move to a larger home for example, and you could for the same cost choose a new home or one built in 1935, which would you choose (all else being equal)?

The unfortunate thing, is that many do choose the new one. The old one might need a bit of work, but it carries the charm along with being already broken in and is probably in an established neighborhood.

When a corporation decides that it needs a new HQ or plant, they tend to move to flashy locations and would rather build new than rehab the old. It's unfortunate, but it's the American mentality...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5514
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you were looking to move to a larger home for example, and you could for the same cost choose a new home or one built in 1935, which would you choose (all else being equal)?

Well that's easy... I've seen how they build new homes. My mom's house is falling apart it was built in the late 80's by a "reputable" homebuilder. Mine is 85 years old, and solid as a rock.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old days had fine craftsmen and people who did one thing very well, like bricklayers, carpenters, etc. Today's boom-box and six-pack construction crews have nowhere near the skills they did in the old days.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking to a guy last week that said he's starting a business in Plymouth to sell components for wind farms.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There no reason to think that "There is a high number of jobs in comparison to the number of workers." There is nothing to back that up. As of today's unemployment data, the US has lost manufacturing employment for 20 straight months. Construction employment has declined for eight months. Detroit and Michigan have done worse. That is why the Michigan unemployment rate is the highest in the country despite a stagnant population.

No doubt there are some jobs that go unfilled because people can't get to them, but to think that if the people and the jobs in SE Michgan moved around so that they were right next to each other that there would be more jobs than people looking for jobs is an idea for which there is no evidence, and quite a bit of evidence against.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 658
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There is a high number of jobs in comparison to the number of workers. The problem is public transportation because the workers do not have cars and should not have to buy one. It is the property owners who should pay about $450. per year more to tax the cost of housing and rent to pay for SMART and DDOT to get these workers to the jobs."

Yeah, right. I've been unemployed over six months. Sent out probably at least 100 resumes. Had two interviews. Unemployment benefits have expired (first time I've ever collected in my life). Over 21 years of experience. Now living solely on my savings. Luckily, I saw what was coming and padded the savings account.

BTW News reports today indicate that 63,000 people in the US (not just Michigan) lost their jobs in January.

Yeah, it's a transportation problem. Give me a break.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh it's definitely a transportation problem. Think of how many jobs would be created when they restart the trolleys. They'll be hiring people by the dozens to collect fares and squirt nickels out of the change machines on their belts.

What a moron.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 653
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Department of Transportation MDOT has slashed over $32 Million dollars per year just from the SMART budget alone since 1995. This was a result of Proposal A in 1994 due to a loophole in the law that does not require operating expenses for community transit from ACT 51, if the public agrees to increase property taxes.

This has indeed caused many job losses and the loss of essential public transportation due to the shifting of state funds to pay for the SEMCOG Detroit to AA rail study and state grants for freeway expansions.

The problem of our poor public bus service is at the federal level and not at the state or city hall.

The federal transit administration no longer funds SMART to pay for the low income anymore except for existing riders only because of high per passenger costs.

In fact, studies show that it is now cheaper to buy low income families cars then fo fund a transit authority in many cases.

In fact, the cost of SMART is about $22. per passenger and MDOT has lowered matching grants for new buses depending on how the state transportation budget is balanced by law, but people are fighting this.

In fact, the public is told by SEMCOG and the Transportation Riders United that local funding is now essential without any meaningful efforts of increasing industry support at the fare box.

In fact, next August 2010 a NO vote only defeats the increase and will not shut down SMART or cause any loss of federal or state funding or transit jobs. It is illegal to shut down SMART by the defeat of a local property tax millage renewal because MDOT is required by law to pay regardless of the outcome and furthermore every community must also pay then same tax as before the millage defeat if the majority vote NO, under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and ADA guidelines.

So, Jrvass and DYer's, what do you all think of the facts? Are you going to vote next August 2010 on the SMART property tax renewal.

Learn the facts at DETROIT LINKS trainman's website first before you vote and tell SMART leaders about this site, so they can stop another Livonia from happening again in southeast Michigan.

Or, maybe we need more KKK members and their supporters to run our government. Then, the city of Detroit will get more freeways and lose even more jobs. Then, even more jobs will leave our state. We must all act now and vote in the leaders that will fight to protect federal and state funding for SMART or there won't be any of these funds left.

But, there will always be Wal-Mart in Livonia and other companies to help pay for the low income workers who need public bus service. Or, a car if you work or live in a city like Livonia.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.