Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Black mayors pass on detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The black mayors conference was set for downtown in april.... due to the mayor scandal here they cancelled and are going to New Orleans....... thanks Mayor Kilpatrick. more loss of respect and revenue.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busted is what you see.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was the one that called it off. WTF?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old news

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/130001.html?1204591271

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i looked for a previous post, sorry, musta been way down low..........

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does there need to be a conference just for black mayors? Is there a conference for just white mayors? It's 2008, why are people, especially city leaders who are supposed to act as role models, still so focused on race?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's because racism is a pervasive part of American life? (Just a guess, y'know.)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why does there need to be a conference just for black mayors? Is there a conference for just white mayors? It's 2008, why are people, especially city leaders who are supposed to act as role models, still so focused on race?

Why does the media keep saying that the Democratic primary battle is between "a black man and a woman"?

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 461
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so they trade a conference in KK's city to Nagan's? WTF? Ones just as bad as the other! LOL too funny! Come on Peter, a white mayor's conference would go over like a turd in a punch-bowl and you know it! LOL

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White mayor's conference? Hubbard's dead, but I'm sure L. Brooks would be welcome.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not suggesting that there be a conference devoted to white mayors. I'm just saying that events like the black mayor convention just further the idea that racism should be socially acceptable.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 702
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an fyi to those of you who do not know. There are several organizations...black accountants, black journalists, black officers. These are not organizations that just popped up over the last few years. They have been around for a very long time. I don't know their histories but welcome anyone who does.

There is nothing wrong with a group coming together to lift eachother up, or to give advice to eachother and to better themselves.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the black organizations have been the groups FIGHTING racism in this country, not furthering it.

"The NAACP? Totally racist!" :-)

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

black owned gas station owners should have a conference.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 479
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There is nothing wrong with a group coming together to lift eachother up, or to give advice to eachother and to better themselves"

I agree 100% with Bratt, but would like to ask what would happen if there were a National Conference for White Mayors; or a Miss White America Beauty Contest; or a NAAWP? I am playing devils advocate here, so don't everyone jump all over me.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, we do have a National Association for the Advancement of White People (est. 1980) in this country. They are the people who believe that white people are marginalized and need to be better politically organized. That is why they're laughable and irrelevant, Buyamerican.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 704
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White people have had their share of groups. White people have come together in the past to outlaw others for very evil reasons, and to make others think they are beneath them, like dogs.

You have to understand Buyamerican, it's hard to get through that. Sure we forgive, but don't forget. We come together to help eachother be successful.

What happened here will be around for many centuries. There are still traces of racism, and whites thinking they are better than any other race still today. You can even see it on this website. Every day.

Maybe you are right, maybe there should be white groups, to teach them that they are no better than anyone else. You may need some support groups for this, because many won't be able to handle it.

Whittier70

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so why did the black mayor conference pass up Detroit instead of meeting with kwame and giving him support? thats what this thread is about.

Whittier70

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone want to answer why the black mayors don't want to support kwame, what happened to stick together? their making him feel like he is beneath them, like a dog.(quote taken from above)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, You guys want to know why there's a black moyros conference or a BET but not a WET or White Mayors Conference.

Black = Minority
White = Majority

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh! I thought they just hated black people.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is that if they hadn't moved their meeting, the whole KK thing would have been a distraction. This way, they get it over with now, and it won't be an issue when they are actually meeting. It doesn't even necessarily mean they disapprove of KK, although no doubt some of them do.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't mean they don't like him, they just want to stay far, far away from him.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican said: "I agree 100% with Bratt, but would like to ask what would happen if there were a National Conference for White Mayors; or a Miss White America Beauty Contest; or a NAAWP?"

As a black man, I sincerely wish I could help set up something just like this. It would eliminate the need for people to ask these silly questions.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me that there are lots of ethnic beauty contests, and organizations to support ethnic causes, for ethnicities of various skin tones. In my view, most black organizations are more akin to those than they would be to a generic white people's organization.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the reasons for the proliferation of black organizations in the 20th century was segregation, imposed by white people. We haven't really arrived at a golden post-race age where white critics can wag their finger at these organizations.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn't we used to have those white established organizations when we used to exclude people from participation based on cultural background...seems to me that white Americans had a long run at separate organizations...

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK may of thought he might be indicted by april so he saved us further embarrassment by pushing that on to the N.O.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're going to bring up Miss America and race:

The reason why there's no White Miss America Pageant? Because it's called the Miss America Pageant. From 1921 until 1983, the winners were all white. Can you understand why black contestants may have felt like they didn't have a fair chance and some started their own organization?

Most minority organizations aren't intended to be discriminatory. They provide support and growth for folks who have historically been discriminated against and not given fair opportunities. As a society, we still have a long way to go for social justice...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mean to sound ignorant. But I think the point is that it wasn't white people that suppressed blacks and other races. It was simply people that suppressed people for some pretty bizarre reasons.

I think we all can agree that we cannot forget the past injustices of whites against blacks. I think it's fair that blacks have every right to band together to help their race. I also think that that is a part of the whole problem.

Just my thoughts.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7170
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black mayors of America will not come back to Detroit for a conference until KING KWAME is gone as Detroit Mayor and another future black Detroit mayor comes in packed with principles.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think many black groups & organizations formed as support networks at a time when racism was more institutionalized. Now that there are measures in place (affirmative action) to discourage (not quite eliminate - still exists to some degree) wide-spread institutionalized discrimination, maybe the black organizations seem passe. To dismantle them however seems downright silly.

I know that I have absolutely no need of a white organization for support, advice, etc...

Rel

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, Sean.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 670
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with many of the comments in this thread is that they display a profound lack of knowledge about American history.

Until the end of institutionalized segregation, the United States of America was a de facto apartheid nation. Black and white Americans lived parallel but separate lives. People, pick up a book and do some reading. Gunnar Myrdal and James Baldwin describe the postwar nation of two generations ago. Black Americans developed parallel organizations to serve their community, to network professionals and tradesmen, and to lend each other support.

Majority-white institutions, in the 1960s, were forced by law and through social pressure to open up. Majority-black institutions, from the 1960s until now, were never outlawed. On the contrary, some of these have begun to have more nonblack presence (i.e., HBCUs and the Divine Nine fraternities and sororities), and others whites simply wouldn't want to join (i.e., black churches and professional organizations).

Look at the claptrap over Sen. Obama's church. Rev. Jeremiah Wright is good friends with the pastor of Detroit's Hartford Baptist Church, and many other progressive black pastors. These pastors have had a problematic relationship with organizations like the Nation of Islam -- most black pastors I know absolutely do not support his antisemitism but admire NOI prison programs and the way they save troubled black men from the streets. Many supported the Million Man March.

So according to this myth, it's problematic, because of this, for black people to attend black churches... and yet there are white people at my church who are uncomfortable with my white pastor's decision to make ours a multicultural church. When he said that we were almost 20% POC, some SQUIRMED. I saw it.

So if black people can't go to black churches because we're racist, and if black people can't go to white churches because whites aren't comfortable once we hit the sociologists' magic 20% number... then what? Korean churches? Croatian? Ukrainian?

Do you see how silly this line of reasoning is... and how pointless?

BOTTOM LINE: Whites are uncomfortable with black organizations because they are a visible reminder of our nation's troubled past. The presence of African Americans and Native Americans disturbs the hagiographic myth of American exceptionalism.

Whereas most whites can honestly say that their ancestors did not enslave anyone, no whites alive today can say that their ancestors did not profit nicely from institutionalized segregation and subsequent white privilege.

Case in point? I'm a black woman who's a hairsbreadth away from a Ph.D - tall and thin - healthy eater, regular exerciser - no debt, no kids, very little baggage of any form.

There's barely a white woman alive who'd trade places with me.

And you guys want to complain about a black mayors' convention? Right.

Back to your regularly scheduled conversation.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English..in regard to your "BOTTOM LINE..." did you mean to say "Some whites may be uncomfortable..." ?

Because I don't have a problem with black organizations. I suspect there may be other whites who share my lack of discomfort with black organizations.

That would mean that your bottom line, even as you see it...is inaccurate. Not all are uncomfortable, sweetie. Just some. But nice try.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thin, educated, a healthy eater AND has read Gunnar Myrdal? You're my new write-in candidate, English. :-)

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its all about people being comfortable with change. If blacks and white always stay in their circle of course it would be an uneasy feeling to inner mingle at first, but now minds are changing and finding out the benefits of integration.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 347
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can honestly say my ancestors did not profit. As a white american of irish decent, I know full well the trials that Irish americans went through in their assimilation. While it is greatly over looked...many people have know idea what the Irish went through. Most people don't realize Mick is a highly derogatory term. Or where paddywhacker, or paddywagon came from.

All of that, only to be celebrated one day a year, for a name that can't even spell right.
It's Padraig...not Patrick...but still

I think the group that had it the worst...Native Americans...whole tribes wiped of the face of the earth...given dead land away from their homes...and most Native Americans live at levels FAR below the poverty line.

I have said it numerous other times on this forum...and I will say it again. As soon as americans today can realize it is less about race...and more about class...we can really start moving on and making some sort of change to our society.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Padraig was a Roman citizen.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2813
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Furthermore, I haven't come across a black organization yet that bans non-black members. Not a single one.

If that convention had gone to Detroit, it would have been spending dollars in predominantly white owned institutions; as does nearly every other black focused convention. So I really don't see what the discussion is about.

White people are not being discriminated against.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flustered White Guy: "B-b-b-but, those are BLACK organizations! They are discriminating! It PROVES that black people are just as racist as we are -- or, um, I mean as racist as they say white people are."

This is all so laughable and varsity-level. Can we return to topic? What do we lose when we lose a convention? Hotel rentals?

Rel

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hotel rooms, bar tabs, private meeting space bookings, restaurant bills, banquet services, car rentals, valet, museum admissions, retail sales, etc. Anything else to add?

And, of course, the absence of statements from attendees to their friends and colleagues.... "You know, I had a really great time in Detroit. You should go!" Instead, we will hear, "I couldn't go to Detroit because their Mayor can't keep his sh-- together". That hurts the most.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.