Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Regional Economic & Community Development Forecast « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5486
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some interesting things said today at this event at the Townsend in Birmingham.

Many expressing desire for a rapid transit up Woodward.

Must said on how important it is to work with Detroit, and how Detroit reflects on the entire region.

Special recognition to Penske for being especially vocal on these topics.

Times are changing folks. Us vs. them is going bye bye, those generations have grown older, and the ones replacing them know better.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4476
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your last paragraph is largely correct, but without bringing too much class warfare into this, it is mostly well-educated younger people who are expressing these desires. We will need these types to become elected officials and/or very rich and/or prominent here in SE Michigan and not in Chicago or NY in order to change things. We are still a long way from the masses being embracing of the central-city and of transit.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2806
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that private light rail gets built between downtown and New Center, then I suspect that would be the true proof of what is possible for the eyes of the region.

The funny thing about Metro Detroit is that it's so damn cynical. I'm not talking about the suburbs either, because city residents are just as cynical about the city as are the suburban residents.

But the cynicism impedes progress. There has to be something to break this never-ending cycle.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 476
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in high school and I hear everyday about a teens passion for Detroit and how they hope it gets better for us.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5390
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"it is mostly well-educated younger people who are expressing these desires"

the same people who see NYC, Seattle/Tacoma, Chicago and want the same here, and who will leave if we can't produce it

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The turning point may very well be people like Penske who take matters in their own hands and get things done. Look how Penske organized the downtown cleaning crews. Since all our little governments do is argue, maybe private hands will be what gets things changed. Of course, in Macomb County, their Board Chairman is being put on the hot seat for never being around, and disconnected from the things her is around for. And L. Brooks is L. Brooks, and never thinks in terms of region. But on his County Board, if I remember reading are more in favor of regionalism than L. Brooks. MI (the state and municipalities have their backs against a wall and have no place to go but to do anything to get things started in terms of economic growth. You are actually starting to see towns talking about sharing services. They cannot afford not to anymore. This could be the start of more regionalism.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4477
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point exactly, Rb336. They (I) will need a sign to encourage them not to bail.

I agree with Bob about the importance of the private sector in delivering this.

Jaydetroit
Username: Jaydetroit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would think L. Brooks would be very in favor of mass transit... lol then perhaps that whole situation with the drunk driving wouldn't have happened. Sorry but someone had to say it.....

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Desperation will lead to more cooperation. It seems to me that some people in the region thought that their areas were doing just fine on their own and that they could operate completely independently.

Now that many of the communities in the area are not doing so well, people are more likely to look at ways of doing things differently.

As things continue to get worse, I expect there will be more cooperation. What kind of results we will get from that cooperation, I haven't a clue--I don't have a lot of confidence in the governments of the region. Certainly the private sector has been key in getting stuff done up until now, no doubt it will be important in the future as well.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 661
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've filled up lots of buses and removed cars from our roads and freeways by getting people to use both DDOT and SMART.

If I can to this, then I'm sure many others can also.

To be honest, I had lots of strong industry support to do this and could have never done this on my own.

You see, I'm honest and compassionate and I care about not just LIvonia but also Detroit and all the other cities.

Today, I'm working on getting more federal transit grants for mass transit so SMART can come back to Livonia and expand into areas like Canton and northern Oakland county.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.