Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Stuff not often posted - arrests by DPD « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3716
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kinda curious as to whether this type of info was provided by DPD to the media and not run in the past or if DPD is going to start telling more about their successes

Detroit Police Nab Violent Crime-Spree Suspects

Detroit police arrest teens in string of carjackings

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11404
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that this is Ella Bully-Cummings doing. She is trying to convince or make people realize (depends upon the truth) that the majority of crime in the city is from a small number of people that are committing tons of crimes.

I think it is her attempt to reinforce the fact that the majority of people in Detroit are not criminals and that as a community we must do what we can to get criminals off the streets because they are not typically engaging in just one crime.

I agree and like the message but I doubt it will have any effect until DPD start being honest with themselves, the citizens adn work more proactively within the communities.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 937
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the DPD refuses to report crime data in a granular and timely way, it is impossible to get an accurate picture of what is going on in the city - and it is impossible to see what successes the city achieves if the last set of figures that the DPD has is from 2005.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5488
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least these pieces of sh!t are put away.

Now if they can catch the worthless thugs who burglarized and beat a 65 year old couple yesterday...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3718
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nain, they do report to the FBI every year and those stats are available online. Currently the FBI has through June 2007 posted.

Uniform Crime Reports

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 940
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Uniform Crime Report does not break it down by neighborhood or block as do other cities such as Chicago. Plus the data is only reported once a year where other city's statistics are reported daily. Finally, the DPD's web site, where most community folks would go for their data, shows only 2005 data the last time I checked.

Compare:
http://www.chicagocrime.org
with:
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/po lice/dept/compstat/tblcht.htm

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was quite the learning experience after my husband got carjacked last summer. From the first story:
The crew was so brazen it committed six of the carjackings and two of the armed robberies on Feb. 11, police said.
Substitute "stupid" for "brazen". Criminals like this are usually dumber than dirt, and young enough to think that they can do the same thing over and over and never get caught. They're no match for the DPD detectives.
In my husband's case, it was a small group that pulled multiple carjackings in the same neighborhood over a few weekends, and when they caught them, they were in a stolen car and had stolen car parts and wallets from previous victims on them. Stupid. The punk my husband testified against is doing 15-30 in Jackson.
I'd have to agree that it's a relative few criminals committing a whole bunch of crimes in a short time frame. They're not smart enough or organized enough to keep it up for long, though.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicagocrime.org is run privately. If the DPD would just make the raw data available, someone could create a site to present it. As I understand it, the data simply isn't available at all in a timely fashion. I think that is something that should be changed--it isn't as if it wouldn't be useful to the police as well. Timely and accurate crime data has been vital in the public safety improvements in NYC and LA under Bill Bratton.

Whether the DPD could use it as effectively is questionable, but they can't possibly use it effectively if they don't have it.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicagocrime.org is indeed private, but it's based off the publicly provided data at http://gis.chicagopolice.org/

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Center for Urban Studies at WSU works with DPS with crime mapping software. Unfortunately it does not appear to be public information. That's a shame but if it was public, it would probably only help the smarter drug dealers.

http://gis.culma.wayne.edu/res earch.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.