Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Dr. George Goodheart, Jr. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Goodheart, Jr. of Grosse Pointe passed Wed. evening, March 5, 2008 at the age of 89. Goodheart had just finished dinner, took a big sigh and then peacefully passed.

In 1964, Goodheart discovered the connection between reflex points and the proper functioning of the muscular system while working in his office at Suite 542, Michigan Building. Later, he discovered the connection between properly functioning muscles, the reflex points and the acupuncture meridians of Traditional Chinese Medicine. The system of muscle testing and energetic balancing became known as Applied Kinesiology.

These techniques, however, remained controversial throughout his career. Recent scientific studies, though, have begun to shine light upon these amazing techniques and provide initial supportive evidence. Here is an excerpt from a report from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine which is a group in the U.S. National Institutes of Health... http://nccam.nih.gov/health/ba ckgrounds/energymed.htm

"Physical Properties of Putative Energy Fields
There has always been an interest in detecting and describing the physical properties of putative energy fields. Kirlian photography, aura imaging, and gas discharge visualization are approaches for which dramatic and unique differences before and after therapeutic energy attunements or treatments have been claimed.(23) However, it is not clear what is being detected or photographed. Early results demonstrated that gamma radiation levels markedly decreased during therapy sessions in 100 percent of subjects and at every body site tested, regardless of which therapist performed the treatment. Recently replicated studies identified statistically significant decreases in gamma rays emitted from patients during alternative healing sessions with trained practitioners.

It has been hypothesized that the body's primary gamma emitter, potassium-40 (K40), represents a "self-regulation" of energy within the body and the surrounding electromagnetic field.(24) The body's energy adjustment may result, in part, from the increased electromagnetic fields surrounding the hands of the healers. Furthermore, an extremely sensitive magnetometer called a superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) has been claimed to measure large frequency-pulsing biomagnetic fields emanating from the hands of Therapeutic Touch practitioners during therapy.(25) In one study, a simple magnetometer measured and quantified similar frequency-pulsing biomagnetic fields from the hands of meditators and practitioners of yoga and qi gong. These fields were 1,000 times greater than the strongest human biomagnetic field and were in the same frequency range as those being tested in medical research laboratories for use in speeding the healing process of certain biological tissues.(26) This range is low energy and extremely low frequency, spanning from 2 Hz to 50 Hz. However, there are considerable technical problems in such research. For example, SQUID measurement must be conducted under a special shielded environment, and the connection between electromagnetic field increases and observed healing benefits reported in the current literature is missing.

Other studies of putative energies suggested that energy fields from one person can overlap and interact with energy fields of other people. For example, when individuals touch, one person's electrocardiographic signal is registered in the other person's electroencephalogram (EEG) and elsewhere on the other person's body.(27) In addition, one individual's cardiac signal can be registered in another's EEG recording when two people sit quietly opposite one another.

Additional Theories
Thus far, electromagnetic energy has been demonstrated and postulated to be the energy between bioenergy healers and patients. However, the exact nature of this energy is not clear. Among the range of ideas emerging in this field is the theory of a Russian researcher who recently hypothesized that "torsion fields" exist and that they can be propagated through space at no less than 109 times the speed of light in vacuum; that they convey information without transmitting energy; and that they are not required to obey the superposition principle.(28)

There are other extraordinary claims and observations recorded in the literature. For example, one report claimed that accomplished meditators were able to imprint their intentions on electrical devices (IIED), which when placed in a room for 3 months, would elicit these intentions, such as changes in pH and temperature, in the room even when the IIED was removed from the room.(29) Another claim is that water will crystallize into different forms and appearances under the influence of written intentions or types of music.(30)

For research, questions remain about which of the above theories and approaches can be and should be addressed using existing technologies, and how."

Sources cited:
23. Oschman JL. Energy Medicine: The Scientific Basis of Bioenergy Therapies. Philadelphia, PA: Churchill Livingstone; 2000.

24. Benford MS. Radiogenic metabolism: an alternative cellular energy source. Medical Hypotheses. 2001;56(1):33-39.

25. Zimmerman J. Laying-on-of-hands healing and therapeutic touch: a testable theory. BEMI Currents, Journal of the BioElectroMagnetics Institute. 1990;2:8-17.

26. Sisken BF, Walder J. Therapeutic aspects of electromagnetic fields for soft tissue healing. In: Blank M, ed. Electromagnetic Fields: Biological Interactions and Mechanisms. Washington, DC: American Chemical Society; 1995:277-285.

27. Russek L, Schwartz G. Energy cardiology: a dynamical energy systems approach for integrating conventional and alternative medicine. Advances: The Journal of Mind-Body Health. 1996;12(4):4-24.

28. Panov V, Kichigin V, Khaldeev G, et al. Torsion fields and experiments. Journal of New Energy. 1997;2:29-39.

29. Tiller WA, Dibble WE Jr, Nunley R, et al. Toward general experimentation and discovery in conditioned laboratory spaces: Part I. Experimental pH change findings at some remote sites. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2004;10(1):145-157.

30. Emoto M. Healing with water. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2004;10(1):19-21.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How tragic this is turning out. Detroit has ignored one of its innovators in life and is now doing the same in death. Time put Goodheart on its Top 100 Innovators of the 21st Century list but does anyone in Detroit know this?... http://www.time.com/time/innov ators_v2/alt_medicine/profile_ goodheart.html

From Freep... http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080307/NEW S08/803070421/1004/NEWS02

http://www.encyclopedia.com/do c/1G1-119059798.html

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked two electronic products that index and publish biographical sketches of notable people. Dr. Goodheart got only one citation in each of two products, one to the Time magazine article, and one to a sketch in Biography Index.

It's unfortunate that many innovative and noteworthy people are overlooked. I'm always amazed that some folks who have contributed a lot during their time on Earth have gotten little or no recognition. Humble people do not usually self promote, and thus go unrecognized except within their own circle however narrow or wide in scope that may be.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very well spoken Kathleen. Thank you.

One of the saddest times in my life occurred after visiting the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. I walked outside after seeing the beauty that he had created, the torture in his life and then realized the fact that he only sold one painting in his lifetime. At the time of my visit, one of his paintings had just sold for over $20 million.

So, yes, innovators and geniuses get ignored all the time. Knowing what a modest man Goodheart was, I have tried to get the attention of Detroiters on this board who understand the pulse of the city and region. Maybe there is so much history in Detroit, that a little more is easy to get ignored.

When seeing what a huge problem healthcare costs are for everyone in America, especially the auto industry, I have thought that Goodheart was relevant in all of this and his techniques could contribute positively to the solution. As I have said before, his techniques are not the total answer, but an important piece of the puzzle.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an alternative hypothesis as to why a practitioner of Applied Kinesiology would be ignored...

Not to speak ill of the dead or anything, but let's just say that not everyone who is ignored is a secret genius.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4083
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tend to ignore the so-called "medical experts" who simply prescribe the little pills that pharmaceutical reps push on them.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Psewick. I wondered when you would show up. We've been working on lots of things that you will be interested in. There's a growing body of studies that will hopefully shed some light for you. Stay tuned.

Interesting thing about innovators. I just caught a History Channel show on racing safety. It ended with the story of the HANS Device (Head and Neck Safety System). It was invented by Dr. Robert Hubbard of Michigan State and he partnered with Jim Downing here in Atlanta on production and introduction.

I met Dr. Hubbard on the grid at the Petit Le Mans and did a special photo and promotion of his device on a web page I did. This device has saved multiple lives and now almost every race car driver wears one. When first introduced, only 'sissies' would wear one as 'real men' would rather break their neck. I was a crusader for their adoption before it was popular. So, here is another innovator that most people do not know and that I think deserves recognition and appreciation. And, he is also in your back yard.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.