Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Bus ridership on Woodward Ave « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't seem to find the stat, now that I need it :-)
Does anyone know what the approx daily bus ridership is for the Woodward Ave corridor in Detroit? This would include not only the Woodward bus, but also any buses that operate along Woodward for a portion of their route, or parallel to the route within a block or two of Woodward?
I know I saw the stat once on the net, but can't find it anywhere now.
I am doing a school project on improving transit in the Woodward corridor. So any info would be great.
And if you got SMART numbers, put those in to :-)
Thanks

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike,

The data is going to be hard enough to come by even if you ask the question properly, which you haven't yet. I suggest you look at the SMART bus maps (available on smartbus.org) and the unofficial DDOT map (at detroittransithistory.info) and decide which specific routes you want numbers for.

Then probably your best bet is to contact SMART and DDOT directly, tell them what school you are at and that the information request is for a school project, and see what you get.

"Ridership" is too vague a term for the bus systems, you might consider asking for "weekday unlinked trips" or "annual boardings" which are terms they'll understand.

The bus systems provide summary totals to FTA but not route-specific information, at least not so much as I have ever seen. They have the data internally but I don't know if, or under what circumstances, they share it.

When I was looking at the same thing a year ago, the number I came up with was about six million boardings a year, but that is just counting routes called "Woodward": DDOT Route 53 and SMART 445, 450, 460 and 475. It also included all boardings anywhere from Pontiac to downtown, so I have no idea how many passengers were on the bus in any specific segment of the corridor.

Interestingly, DDOT's Route 53 is the busiest line on that system, but SMART's busiest route is 560/565 (Gratiot), on which they run buses every 10 minutes during the busiest part of rush hour, and that's still not sufficient.

Good luck!

Prof. Scott

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 31,000 people per day.

Source:
Getting Woodward on Tracks
http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/wtransit77.aspx

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet the Atanas Illitch Tiger train would do really well this year. A Tigers lineup that is expected to perform extremely well coupled with skyrocketing gas prices. Has there been any word on this being put in the works yet?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 861
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember them stating that they planned for an expanded schedule next (this) year, though I have not heard any specifics since

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 785
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. I had read last year the stats, as it was published in some article, but could not remember the numbers. But I remember it being something in the 20,000-30,000 range.

I have contacted SMART and DDOT, but DDOT can take a while to get back to you on things.
It is not that I need the numbers for sure. But it would be a nice added touch to my project called

"MOVING WOODWARD" :-)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, where are you moving Woodward? :-)

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 427
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know is that the 450s SMARTS and the 53Ddots are standing room only during peak hours. They really need to add more buses to those routes.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the Woodward bus is one of the very LAST buses you want to be shoulder to shoulder with someone on! Trust me

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SMART would love to add buses, and DDOT probably would too. The problem is money; both bus systems are severely underfunded.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.