Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » New Dearborn Wal-Mart to have Arabic and Hispanic Items & Signage « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an interesting article about a new Wal-Mart that will be coming to Dearborn in the "never really took off" strip mall at Ford Rd. & Sfld. Fwy. in the former Super Kmart location. They'll have extensive Middle Eastern and Hispanic food selections as well as signage in English, Spanish and Arabic.

Good to see the space finally going into use, interesting to see how Wal-Mart fares compared to Kmart. Good luck to local independent merchants.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080304/BUS INESS06/803040405

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not Dearborn. That's in Detroit.

Wal-Mart should do better than KMart because, in general, Wal-Mart knows what it is doing and KMart does not.

It's interesting, for instance, that they are making the store appropriate for its location. I wonder if KMart ever bothered.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually it is Dearborn Professorscott. The border with Detroit from Southfield to Greenfield is Paul St. just north of Mercury Dr. that runs behind the strip mall complex.

I don't think that old KMart was any different from any other so there could possibly be a difference. And apparently they made a promise not to undercut the local mom-and-pop shops.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fuck walmart, and fuck them trying to close our ethnic foodshops!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 663
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without a question, Paul was the WORST-maintained street in Detroit. Did it ever get repaved?

WM will discover what caused KM so much grief: rampant shoplifting. Word was that the Dearborn Police set up a "permanent" temporary sub-station on the premises to process the unending parade of thieves picked up in the store & parking lot.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Kova...As a former resident of Dearborn for roughly 95% of my life, its good to see that the local government continuously bends over for anyone willing to give them a little cash on the side.

Fuck walmart....fuck big box retail...god bless capitalism

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else notice that 8,400 people applied for jobs at Wal-Mart? That’s crazy, and kinda depressing.
I thought Dearborn already had a Mal-Wart, on Telegraph and I-94. Or that could be Dearborn Heights.

D_mcc

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats Taylor...

Walmart capitalizes on communities and regions in need by offering so called lower prices and jobs when they think they need them the most. People don't realize that Chinese workers are now demanding pay raises...so all that cheap shit you buy at walmart is about to cost more, because A. the american dollar is little more than fancy toilet paper around the world. and B. Walmart can't pay 50 cents for a pallet of toys from china...So long american dream, hello american nightmare.

Sorry if I sound so cynical...its just sad to see complacency and a rampant executive branch flat out fucking destroy the middle class

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2790
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newsweek did a big story on this yesterday:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/117 835

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2791
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone else notice that 8,400 people applied for jobs at Wal-Mart? That’s crazy, and kinda depressing.

From an article about Ohio's economy and it's affects on the election:

quote:

Since 2000 the state has lost 236,000 manufacturing jobs, a 23.3% drop. One sign of the times: In 1995, General Motors was Ohio's largest private employer, with some 63,200 employees, while Wal-Mart Stores was ranked No.6, with 15,100. Today the discount retailer is the state's top source of jobs with 52,000 workers. GM employs just 12,300.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/ 23450934/

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 664
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^but Wal-Mart dosn't sell cars... Blame GM & employees for putting out a product that will not sell, and blame the masses everywhere else in the US for not supporting a hometown industry. I'll bet that Wal-Mart parking lot in California is filled with imported cars.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Wal-Mart open already?

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good news.

Hopefully, Soon. There will be a Wal-Mart in Detroit. The residents who still stay there could use one or three for sure.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc,
Is your repeated use of the "F" word really necessary? Who are you trying to convince or impress with that kind of language? By your use of that kind of language, you show a lack of respect for others who are reading your post. Plus, you are more apt to get your point across if you use standard English.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you blame us for being pissed off?

Paul street was paved a few year backs its a fine street now.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've boycotted the Taylor Walmart, I'll be boycotting the new Dearborn store, and if they make the Lincoln/Allen Park Super Walmart, you'd better believe I'll boycott that, too. I don't see why people don't just understand that Walmart is evil. All of its products are made in sweatshops, it doesn't care about their employees, doesn't offer unionized healthcare or fair wages, puts local businesses out of work, and condones a lot more unethical practices.

If you need a song to the tune of "Oh Susanna" to make you understand, here you go: http://www.jibjab.com/original s/big_box_mart

(Message edited by nere on March 06, 2008)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All of its products are made in sweatshops

It's fantastic lies like this that undercut any legitimate arguments you may have against shopping at Wal-Mart.

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish this WalMart had a tire and lube dept. I suppose when they build the Lincoln Park store it will have it.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All of its products are made in sweatshops

That's an overstatement. Are there sweatshops in Germany? Some flowerpots I purchased at a Walmart last year were made in Germany. I saw some bath products they carry that are made in Germany as well.

D_mcc

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I apologize for offending you MikeG. I am impassioned on this discussion because I have family members and family friends who were small business owners that were forced out of business due to business practices such as those employed and encouraged by big box retailers such as Wal-Mart

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im not a fan of south park the tv show on comedy central, but their episode about wal-mart a few years back was fine social satire art.

sorry for the language, but fuck wal-mart.

D_mcc

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed that Family guy is a complete Rip-off of not only South Park, but the Simpson's as well...

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walmart is only in business because people shop there. So don't make Walmart out to be the bad guy.

With rising inflation, declining salaries and a weakening dollar, Walmart shoppers want to spend the absolute cheapest they can for a product. Where Walmart purchases its goods, or the conditions of named employees, is irrelevant, I would presume to the vast majority of Walmart shoppers. All they care about is they can get a tire for $50 as opposed to going to Belle Ties for $90. Until you change the mind of the shoppers, Walmart is just a merchant facilitating commerce.

There's always going to be a store that caters to the cheapest products, using whatever means necessary to maintain that level.(a la Aldi)

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Walmart is only in business because people shop there."

"Walmart is just a merchant facilitating commerce."

The same could be said of drug dealers. The problem that most WalMart shoppers don't get is that there is a hidden cost. We all pay when a company recommends and shows how employees can sign up for government assistance instead of offering health benefits or better pay. We also pay when other business are forced to close because of WalMarts business practices, or cannot afford to pay off politicians for the subsidies that WalMart receives.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've noticed that Family guy is a complete Rip-off of not only South Park, but the Simpson's as well..."

No schitt :-)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7164
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new EVIL Super Wal-mart in place of what was the first ever Super K-Mart. Now with Arabic and Hispanic items ro the Dearborn/Detroit west side communities.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7165
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott,

The New EVIL Super Wal-Mart is not in Detroit. It's in Dearborn's Fairlane North Area in Dearborn, MI.

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the store yesterday...heard a number of different languages spoken. In the food department, there are all kinds of things that normally would be found in the many small Middle Eastern markets throughout Dearborn, as well as lots and lots of hispanic foods. In true WalMart fashion, they will put the small mom&pop stores that are run by immigrants out of business with their low, low prices. People's shopping carts were overloaded...you would have thought they were giving the stuff away. WalMart will make a lot of money at that location, there is no question.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have boycotted WalMart for years, literally since I was a child and would ask my mother to go to KMart instead. I can't tell you the last time I went into a WalMart. There's a fascinating documentary from PBS about the high cost of low prices : http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=7722357401716915348

Seeing the face of the person that makes those jeans and hearing the letter she wrote at the end broke my heart. I have worked lots of crappy jobs, but those conditions are unforgivable. There's a reason I avoid buying, especially clothes from places like that. Honestly, give me Value World or the Salvation Army any day. The only things that I buy from those big box stores are honestly cleaning supplies and toiletries.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I try to avoid big box stores, and I never shop at Wal-Mart. They're anti-union, discriminatory, and not to mention the stores area really ugly.

Their low prices are just an illusion. They drive out smaller businesses, and sell lots of goods that are manufactured overseas. They take away more jobs than they produce. Why do you think salaries are falling?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.