Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Why isn't there a left turn signal at Woodward/Warren? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 869
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean, the traffic is bad enough with it being in the Cultural District/WSU, but I shouldn't have to slam on the brakes everyday for disgruntled left-turners. Where do I send out my letter to?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree; that intersection is awful.

Baliad
Username: Baliad

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i too agree... i avoid that intersection at all costs...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4473
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The angles when turning from Woodward onto Warren are pretty difficult, too (because of the median), with poor visibility of oncoming traffic when left turners are lined up.

I don't think that those elaborate lights with left turn signals have a place at most city intersections, but this would be an exception.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The intersection does employ the Michigan left concept with the median on Warren. What you are dealing with is not the fault of the intersection, it is uncaring/unaware drivers. In addition that metal fence in the median they put up to keep pedestrians from crossing does not do anyone any favors.

Rip down the fence and have police regularly write tickets and you would see much of the problems go away. The addition of Michigan left signs would also help.

Woodward is under the jurisdiction of MDOT. Warren is under Detroit.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on March 04, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boo hoo! You people just aren't used to that good ol' urban hustle and bustle.

You cry over one busy intersection in your CBD while other cities our size are filled with them. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Just find another route if you dislike it. SHEESH! :-)

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, Midtown is not the CBD.

That intersection is unavoidable for many commutes. Congestion can be mostly avoided with smart planning.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroitrise, Midtown is not the CBD."

That depends on who you ask. 150,000 workers in SE Michigan commute to and from there daily and it's fairly centralized. It sounds like the CBD to me :-)

"That intersection is unavoidable for many commutes. Congestion can be mostly avoided with smart planning."

Also depends on who you ask. If you can't get around it, you simply don't know your way around this griddy city.

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 04, 2008)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 758
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there also needs to be something changed about the intersection of Hancock and Woodward... just a stop sign with an obstructed view... i know one girl who got hit twice there... and hear of accidents there ALL the time... bad drivers and hancock/woodward don't mix...

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. The CBD is the area bounded by the freeways. And, I agree, if you can't find your way around traffic in Midtown you have some serious directional problems.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No. The CBD is the area bounded by the freeways."

Like I said, it depends on who you ask.

Manhattan in New York is the region's CBD, but all of it isn't downtown :-)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meh, whatever. I think our cash-strapped city should install a left-turn lane there because it makes the Wayne State commuters feel more comfortable when they're going home.

Actually, I take that back; they should just get over it. :-)

Newlaster

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, not nearly all of Manhattan is NY's CBD.

NYC has two CBD's: Downtown and Midtown Manhattan.

And Detroit has one, which does not include Midtown. Please discontinue your misinformative statements.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't count the number of times I've nearly been hit trying to cross that fucking intersection.

Apparently pedestrians do not have right of way when cars are making a right or left hand turn.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carry a tremendous baseball bat and swing it back and forth as you cross the street. I guarantee you won't be hit. ;)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol nerd.

Newlaster, THIS FIRST POSTER is "misinformed"

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/130255.html?1204666794

Newlaster

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that thread has nothing to with this one. It's about a Michigan State Representative who won $2 million in the state lottery and the lack of media investigation into the matter.

But I would like more attention for that thread. So thank you Detroitrise; please pollute all the other threads with links to that one as well.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you guys can write the detroit traffic engineering division they'll respond, might not get a light but the reason why there isn't one. same for the intersection at hancock.

(Message edited by michigansheik on March 04, 2008)

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a Dangerous intersection that needs to be addressed. It is one of the busiest intersections in the region--and yet very unorganized and obviously without a turn light. Let me know what I can do to help.

Jazzylinn
Username: Jazzylinn

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that it needs that signal. The traffic is quiet heavy. Have waited to turn onto Warren for about 15 minutes one time.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4576
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How well I know that intersection. I barely avoided death that intersection six years or so ago. I driving north and was stopped at the light. I pulled into the intersection when the light turned green. I had some distraction on my right but was fortunate to catch out of the corner of my left eye a beat up pick up barreling through the red light straight at me. He would have T-boned me but I was able turn just enough to make him glance off my driverside door and fender spinning my car sideways. My car was severely damaged but luckily I was unharmed. Cops were on the scene in two minutes and he was ticketed.

When I reflect back on that, if there had been turn arrows, this probably would not have happened as the sequence of turns would have eliminated that run-through for my situation.

Nonetheless, I watch every intersection religiously. It takes just one oversight.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7268
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It IS a dangerous intersection. I've seen far too many close calls and few too many crashes there.

And no offense detroitrise, it's not about complaining without validity or being wimpy. Think about it- how does a city suddenly determine which intersection needs to be corrected? Obviously those of us here who've used that intersection or have seen it think it needs a different turn signal configuration. This isn't about Detroiters being softer than people in NYC. It has to do with the amount of traffic that this intersection has obviously risen to. This intersection needs correcting- plain & simple.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, please write the City's Traffic Engineering Division:
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/dp w/default.htm

If we do this they'll conduct a traffic pattern study and follow up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.