Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ourada Bakery - Antone Street « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nemoman
Username: Nemoman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking for geneaological information on my father's maternal grandparents. Their name was Ourada, and I have a "menu" or price list from their bakery on Antone street in the late nineteenth century. Any leads would be appreciated. By the way, I have an abiding love for the city having grown up there in the fifties, This is a great site; you guys need to go a bit easier on each other. Hopefully Detroit will rise again. Anyhow, my father's father was Henry Heater (originally Heutter) who was a piano tuner at Hudsons downtown. I have fond memories of the zoo and Belle Isle.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know anything about the bakery, but welcome to the forum and I love your comment "go a bit easier on each other".

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3677
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They appear on the 1900 Federal Census, enumerated June 6, 1900. The residence address is 620 St. Antoine.

John C. Ourada, head of household, b. May 1870 in Bohemia, immigrated in 1882 and is a naturalized citizen. He is a baker. Can read and write and can speak English. Parents were born in Bohemia.

Frances, wife, b. Sep. 1874 in Michigan. No occupation listed. Can read and write and can speak English. Parents were born in Bohemia.

They had been married for four years as of the census date and rented, did not own, the residence.

Two children

Irene, b. July, 1896
Florence, b. March, 1899

One servant living in the residence

Marie Urbanec, b. May, 1885 in Bohemia, immigrated in 1899, not naturalized, can read and write but cannot speak English.

The 1910 Federal Census (as of April 19, 1910) shows them at the same location, no servants in the household, and with a third daughter, Evelyn, 9 years old, born since the previous census.

No hits on the 1920 Federal Census index - would have to look for misspellings, getting skipped, etc.

1930 Federal Census shows ownership of the residence at 126 Harmon Ave., valued at $15,000, and they have a radio. Only the father, John, approx. 62 years old, is listed along with his daughter, Evelyn, 29. John works as a janitor at the county jail. On this census he is listed as being from Czechoslovakia and speaking Czech as his native language. Native language was not asked on previous censuses.

all info from ancestry.com

Nemoman
Username: Nemoman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup: Thanks for the info. Interesting that the menu spells antoine as antone - perhaps he came to Detroit via Texas. Oh well , English was his second language.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.