Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fatburger looking for Detroit location « Previous Next »
Archive through March 03, 2008Melody30 03-03-08  8:21 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just what one of the fattest cities in America needs. Instead, we should be trying to reduce such chains as White Castle, Mc Donalds, etc.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is last year's news.

Melody, yes, the Hot N' Now is still there.

Sonic's has decided to invest in our market, yay! :-)

don't forget about the Culver's or Del Taco either.

BTW, ALL of those restaurants are a step above the crap we have already. Wendy's is THE WORST.

Unfortunately, all the franchise owners are suburbanites, so don't expect too many locations to open up in Detroit.

*Detroitrise, pretentious fast food patriot.*

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 03, 2008)

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the exception of their frozen custard, Culver's is not worth going to. The burgers are thinner than pancakes with absolutely no flavor. They currently have a location on Sashabaw Road just north of the I-75 exit. They're also planning to build one in Lake Orion on Lapeer Road just north of the Palace.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the morning got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the goodyear blimp
And it read ice cubes a pimp"

Doesn't anyone listen to Ice Cube?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kslice, i have been sing that all day since I have heard that fatburger oped...lol.

On a related issue, how is Salad Sensations doing on Woodward?? I am rarely in the CBD at lunchtime

They were fairly busy last time I went(last month)

They are opening a new one next door to Jimmy Johns in the WSU dorm

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i cannot wait til Salad Creations comes to campus...if I eat another Pizzeria Venti slice I will scream.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

k slice - I've been waiting all day for someone to bring that up so I could come back with....

Drunk as hell but no throwing up
Half way home and my pager still blowing up
Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day.

There is a punk rock version of good day by a band called h2o. The lyrics are exactly the same
EXCEPT they say "two in the morning got the veggie burger." cracks me up everytime.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yogi's Fatburger was on the SE corner of Grand River and Wyoming during the late 70s and early 80s. A shoot-out at the drive thru caused its closing.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj, it's the biggest restaurant chain founded by an African-American woman(and SHE just died @ 96)...but to me the burgers & fries taste JUST like Steak 'N Shake-I always order the "Baby Fat" with an egg on it
http://www.laist.com/2008/02/0 2/fatburger_found.php

Onthe405-In & Out CEO Snyder was killed in a chopper wreck next to the I-55, his eldest survivor was his 9-year old girl-not exactly a "screw up"

401don-spoken like a true Onterrible Bigot, the best burger chain in Canada is out of B.C., the Globe & Mail said so;
http://www.whitespot.com/white spot/historyhustler.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W hite_Spot

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if there are others in the area, but if anyone craves Hot n' Now, there is still one in Monroe.

They are also building a Sonic in Southgate in front of the Meijer on Fort St.

Are there any more coming to the area?

(Message edited by hudkina on March 04, 2008)

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 834
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a small chain on the west side for the state called Mr. Burger. Very good made to order burgers! I plan a stop there each time I am in Grand Rapids. But I think our east side bible per capita ratio is too low for that company to open over here :P

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 867
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never been there, so I wouldn't know, but there's tons of locations.. even on ol' Jefferson Ave. I'd rather see a Checkers or maybe a LJS down here.

(Message edited by Genesyxx on March 04, 2008)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found out from a friend of mine that the location in Southfield on Telegraph
North of Northwestern (round the Southfield Chrysler Plymouth in the stripmall) and it's owned by a black guy. :-D

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4817
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Foo d-Nation-Eric-Schlosser/dp/006 0838582/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF 8&s=books&qid=1204640987&sr=8- 1

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4109
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info Flyingj!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"While a fast food restaurant, the food is cooked and made to order." "Customers are given a number after ordering, and food and milkshakes are delivered to the customers' table."

Same concept as Fuddruckers?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Never been there, so I wouldn't know, but there's tons of locations.. even on ol' Jefferson Ave. I'd rather see a Checkers or maybe a LJS down here."

Check out Gratiot/Gunston and 8 Mile/Ryan.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudkina, the Hot n Now is now a Checkers in Monroe.

Stromberg2

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stromberg, are you sure that is true, I just drove by there about a month ago.....still a hot N Now........

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7162
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! More fast food to clog up our arteries and we can get fat and kill ourselves.

This guy ate too many 30 burgers,50 fries, 45 hot dogs, 87 slices of pizza and a diet coke and look what he ended up.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isn't there some policy against posting self portraits?

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag,

I remember Red Barn. Used to be down on the Boulevard near the Fisher. Dad made it a point to take me to Fatburger's when I went to visit him in California. The place was packed. I seem to remember a place called Peppy's down on Grand River back in the 60's but that's all I can recall about it.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I remember Red Barn. Used to be down on the Boulevard near the Fisher. Dad made it a point to take me to Fatburger's when I went to visit him in California. The place was packed. I seem to remember a place called Peppy's down on Grand River back in the 60's but that's all I can recall about it."

The one on Jefferson and Beniteau wasn't torn down until the early 2000s for a Coney Island (open now).

There's a pic of it somewhere on the internet. Google it :-)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fat Burger is not too shabby, not awesome, better than average. I use to visit the ones in LA all the time. Dolly Parton's favorite when in LA.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need an In and Out Burger, as in the Big Lebowski.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In-n-Out, In-n-Out... that's what a hamburger's all about.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Best fast Burger!

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know is that a Sonic is finally coming to Michigan next month. After 10 years of their commercials, it's about time.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DaninDC...

I will echo your take on the merits of "Five Guys" burgers. Outstanding. Fantastic fries as well.

Not something I would recommend eating daily, but for a once in a while treat, you can't go wrong with that up and coming franchise.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a Tommy Burger.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's also still a Hot N Now at Gratiot and Martin in Roseville and on 23 Mile just east of 94 in Chesterfield. There are White Castles near to each location so for me, they're irrelevant

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FATBURGER!

Lefty2

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hot-n-not sucks exhaust fumes

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 470
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hot-n-Now at 10 Mile and Gratiot area. I personally dont like it either.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hot-n-Now at 10 Mile and Gratiot area. I personally dont like it either."

Martin (11 1/2) and Gratiot, not 10 Mile.

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 05, 2008)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol
https://fatburger.com/FatMobil e/Default.aspx

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Stromberg, are you sure that is true, I just drove by there about a month ago.....still a hot N Now........"

Gambling Man, Yes it's a checkers, was changed over not too long ago. Just drove by yesterday...didn't try it out though. Checkers is basically Rallys and I don't think that's a good thing.

Stromberg2, wishing for a Whataburger.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hot and Now was purchased in the early 90s by Yum Brands/Taco Bell to get knowledge of the double drive through (and maybe cobrand). They disgorged it around 5 years ago, a shell of itself. The Michigan management made a move to quality with higher prices. The chain fell apart and many locations closed. I think the few left were essentially operating almost on their own. This might explain the change to Checkers. There was also one on Wayne Rd. Did it change over???

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did Jack N The Box leave? i still see them on the west coast. i used to like their tacos.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't there use to be an In and Out on M-24 up in Lapeer?
If you looked inside of the bottom rim of their cup,
it had scriptures written there.

Bizarre!

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't yet had the pleasure of dining at this establishment. But with a donkey on the roof, how can you go wrong?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2057/2313902006_4d00911789.jp g

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why did Jack N The Box leave? i still see them on the west coast. i used to like their tacos."

The Food Poisoning incident back in the 90s had a huge impact on closure of the locations here.

I think they chose to close many of their east coast and midwest location to focus more on the west coast (for incidents like food poisoning).

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TAYSHAUN....NO WAY!

where is Sonic going to be?? I have been craving that for the longest time....almost did a road trip to Ft. Wayne for it!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Southgate Annie on Eureka road (more than likely an out parcel of Southland Mall).

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 873
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, a Sonic would be cool too, since they seem to be priming the market.

BTW, I've never seen a fast food thread take off like this.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I didn't even have in mind a fast food thread--what caught my attention was the CBD viability aspect.

I guess a state that has supported Tubby's will be fertile ground for Fatburgers as well.

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody try the hamburgers at Culvers? They are the best and the rest of the menu isn't too bad, either. The only one on my side of town is on Little Mack in Roseville, but worth the drive.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they're pretty good. I used to go to the Culvers in Okemos when I worked there.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're not priming the market, they just make basic cable buys that get you the whole country. CiCi's Pizza Buffet is priming markets, though Dunno why the joker upthread raves up Whataburger-that's slop to stave off hangovers. Jack In The Box was gone from the Detroit market long before the tainted meat scandal in Seattle, they would've gone down the tubes were it not for their ad campaigns;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =CWVnPlUCrf8

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about next door to James Cole Funeral Home.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SE Michigan was already a relatively rip, but untapped market for Fast Food chains (outside the local chains and big name chains).

These smaller chains are just discovering that and taking advantage of it.

For the life of me, I still can't figure out why Waffle House won't go along I-75 north of I-80. Must we franchise them too?

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 08, 2008)

Thedeadofnight
Username: Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ate at Fatburger this afternoon and I have to say we enjoyed it very much. Only downfall: the line to order was literally out the door. 10 minutes until we got to place order and another 45 minutes before we got our food. I'm sure that's due to the fact that it's the grand opening week. One of the managers said its like that from open til closing. Probably will die down to "normal" in about another week or two. They were also all out of onion rings!

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sonic is on Fort St. just north of Pennsylvania directly in front of the Southgate Meijer.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waffle House had a short-lived location in Southfield on NW Hwy about 30 years ago. They must have decided to focus on franchises below I-80 in the U.S.
Sonic avoided the Eastern US for years also. Also only recently they 'followed the trend' and started to offer a drive-through window. Now when you look at a Sonic parking lot, there are very few customers eating in their cars, most are in line at the drive-through.
Warning- They must still pay the drive-through 'wait staff' lower wages considering them as employees with tip income. One time I ordered a breakfast sandwich at their drive-through in TN. Order at window, pull ahead and the 'waiter/waitress' brings out your order.(Also hinting for tip)

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the line to order was literally out the door. 10 minutes until we got to place order and another 45 minutes before we got our food. I'm sure that's due to the fact that it's the grand opening week. One of the managers said its like that from open til closing. Probably will die down to "normal" in about another week or two.

I remember the same thing happening when they opened the Krispy Kreme at 8 Mile and Grand River. Look at it now. Closed.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I remember the same thing happening when they opened the Krispy Kreme at 8 Mile and Grand River. Look at it now. Closed."

The company's not making any profits.

Several Krispy Kreme restaurants have closed.

Anyway, Fatburger is different. That's "real food", not donuts.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen signs while driving on I-94 in southwest Michigan for Waffle House locations there. Nothing in Michigan on their website though, closest being two in Toledo.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.