Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Woodbridge Pub, in Woodbridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 640
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in Woodbridge, and just before I left, someone was working on putting a pub at the corner of Merrick and Trumbull. A friend of mine told me recently that this pub is near completion.

Does anyone in the neighborhood have the ability to post some pictures?

I was really excited about this before I left and would love to see it now.

Thanks

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was by that section of Woodbridge last week looking at a condo. A work crew was working on that building and adjoining lot. It looked like they had made some good progress.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of a friend of mine, Jim, is opening it. Sounds like it's gonna be great. No firm opening date yet.

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if you were looking at my condo E_hemingway... it's right around the corner... red squares above the fireplace?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may have. I don't remember the red squares but if your place is the one I am thinking of I do remember the flooring have a cool, two-tone style to it. Plus the cat at that place was a little devil. It would come up to us, practically beg us to pet it and then bat at our hands or nip at us. Strange feline.

Cjdb16

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes thats my place, and that's Polo-the-cat...

Hi Bussey- they have been working hard on Woodbridge Pub and actually got signage up this week. Can't wait till the place opens.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Small cyber world, huh? You have quite the nice place. I have never seen hardwood floors like that. They are quite cool. Polo was interesting... Does he behave like that around everyone or was he just being a good guard kitty?

Cjdb16

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks E_hemingway.... make an offer?...
We have loved living there, just need a back yard for our very active little boy now.
Polo always acts a fool when new people come over.

In all my years on the forum I think this is my first thread hijack...

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We liked it but we're not ready to make an offer on much of anything right now. We're more casually looking at places until our wedding in May. We might take a second look at your building this summer, but I got to say the association scared us. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade over there because it is a nice building but between the garage situation and the mess the developer left, it didn't seem like the best situation.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11758
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long live the thread hijacks.

It adds color to our commentary.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I correct in assuming that this building was a former party store, shuttered for some time? Across Merrick is an open lot and then the collison shop?

I always though that would be a nice corner for a neighborhood pub...

The strip of Trumbull between Warren and Merrick has some great potential! Traffic visibility alone...

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the place Korridorkid. It's a one-story building painted yellow.

Timeless
Username: Timeless

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/wpub68.aspx

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pictures, pictures, pictures...

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, bump, bump... Pictures please

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm, that modeld article was dated October 2006. Does anyone know whether this project is still even alive?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure looks like. The outside is freshly painted, a new temporary sign is up and they just poured new cement behind the building to install bike racks. I'm thinking this is going to open sooner rather than later.

Chub

Post Number: 501
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like they have a new MySpace profile.

http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro file&friendid=358822084

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This part of the MySpace page is hilarious:

About me:
Just an 80 year old bar getting a little sprucing. We'll be open soon.

Who I'd like to meet:
.. maybe a nice older victorian or colonial revival, NO McMansions please.. if you're under 60 or built by Pulte keep on moving.

Chub

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It made the sweet 16 list. Pretty damn cool.
http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/sweet1613608.aspx

Pollybergen
Username: Pollybergen

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i live very very near to this pub. they are working on it every day.
as a resident on the only street in woodbridge that doesn't allow parking on both sides,
my neighbors and i are concerned about an increase in parking difficulties and then,
of course, drunk drivers crashing into our cars.

other than that, i hope the food is good, for when i don't feel like cooking!

Chub

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious Polly, why not try parking your car in your garage or parking spaces off the alley? I'm sure you won't have any trouble with drunk drivers hitting you car in the street, but if you are really worried about it, this might take care of that problem. When I lived in Boston Edison, this worked for me.

Pollybergen

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um. i am not sure if your post is serious or not, chub. (i hope not)

our block is land locked.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 485
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is woodbridge?

Gannon

Post Number: 12118
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exit Nancy Whiskey's front door, turn north. Go about a mile.

heh, thought I'd give you a familiar landmark.

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over/under on the time frame for this place to be robbed for the first time?

I will say 2 months

right next to I-94, I-96, lodge

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon- thanks! i was at Nancys yesterday.

Gannon

Post Number: 12127
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

(been too long, Pgn)

Chub

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polly, not sure what you mean? There is an alley on that block and I have seen a few run down garages and space to park where there once were garages if I remember right. That is what the alleys were built for in the first place. Am I wrong about that? Do you not live on the block that the Pub is on? And yes, I was serious, why wouldn't I be?

Pollybergen

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um. wow. this is kinda annoying.
I didn't think you were serious because if i had a garage, or if any of us had garages, we would park in them? what?

That alley runs beside my building, behind the pub. (so again, yes, I live on the same block. I live next door). I look out my kitchen to the graffiti on the back of it. That alley provides access to the garages for the homes on Commonwealth. My block is landlocked, like I said. So yes, you are wrong; since when are alleys for parking in?

Chub

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polly, you seem very defensive. I was just trying to be helpful. I still don't understand what you mean by "land locked"? Are you saying that the back of your house is right up to the alley? Are all the rest of the houses that same way? Strange.... Once again, I'm sorry if I offended you some how. I was just trying to help. As I'm sure you know, 90% of the garages and parking space in backyards of Detroit have been forgotten and abandoned, which I think is sad. Have a great day, ok. Smile!

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

parking in the alley makes it too easy for thieves. residents shouldn't have to put there cars at risk so people can come over and drink.

however- i live on the block of commonwealth just north of this pub and i welcome it with open arms, with the hope that it will provide minimal disruption in the n'hood. if i have to park a little further then so be it- it is part of the urban condition and any amenities it provides.

Pollybergen

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chub, it felt like you were insinuating that we weren't utilizing an obvious choice. I am trying to make clear that we only have the street, one side of it at that, for a block full of duplexes and Wayne State student rentals.

All of the backyards on my block back up the backyard of a home on Commonwealth. There is no alley for us, just the one the side of my house that runs between Trumbull and Commonwealth.

I welcome the bright spot, too, so long as loitering/parking/noise are kept in check. As I said, we live *right* next door. Jim, my husband and I have all talked, so I think it is going to be fine.

Chub

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great to hear you have an open mind about it Polly. I'm sure it'll all work out great for everyone. Believe me, I was only trying to help. I love your house by the way. One of the best on the block if I remember right.
Take care,
Chub

(Message edited by chub on April 03, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.