Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What good would a gun have been? « Previous Next »
Archive through March 02, 2008Andylinn30 03-02-08  11:57 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, Are you back yet? How is the wrist?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, the future Mrs and I hope you are recovering quickly. We agree, we don't think a gun would have made the situation better. Let us know how you're doing and we hope to see you around soon.

Eastside_cat
Username: Eastside_cat

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankg
Ever tried therapy?
"The robber apparently has no better options in life than to rob people"
Do you really believe what you just said? Ever here of morals or choices. Good luck with the conflict thing you have going on up in the old think box. Capitalism works and everyone is invited.
Jams you don't sound like someone who wants to arms themselves, my advice is to make detours in your daily routine. If this happened in your neighborhood, well...In the “D” it’s a matter of mathematical averages: Population X, Criminal Population Y, the population of Y will visit the population of X to a factor of 7.8%, at 8 the member of population Y is usually detoured by law enforcement or suffers one of the negative elements of being a member of population Y.
Jams. Hope your wrist feels better and one of the unfortunate byproducts of this event is that your head will be on a swivel and you will be more suspicious of your environment for the rest of your life.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 658
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad you have to be like Linda Blair in the Exorcist (with her head spinning around) to feel safe in Detroit.
I hated having to live like that.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2807
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, if you had a gun and used it on the guy, I guarantee he would have run to the nearest lawyer and sued you (assuming he wasn't dead). Even if you would have been vindicated, it would have cost you a bundle for an attorney and months and months of worry.

Be glad for avoiding that headache. Be well, my friend.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""I'm glad you didn't have a gun, there would have been one more violent freak running around with your $12 and your weapon today.""

what, he wouldnt have been able to retain his firearm at all?

""So, I give....and, I don't get beat up""

tell that to my co-worker (blonde, female, 30s, 5'6" 100something who was carjacked at 8 and mound at the sunoco gas station. after the perp got her out of her car he smashed the side of her head in before shoving her to the ground. this was a car remember not a lousy $0.20...

""I guarantee he would have run to the nearest lawyer and sued you (assuming he wasn't dead). Even if you would have been vindicated, it would have cost you a bundle for an attorney and months and months of worry. ""

not necessarily. the new law (cant remember what bill it was) prohibits civil and criminal prosecution of persons who A) are in a place they are legally allowed to be, who B) use deadly force to stop an attack, when C) they believe at the time that they are in fear of a)being killed, b)suffering great bodily harm, c)being forcibly sexually penetrated or in D)acting to prevent a, b or c from happening to another person...

(Message edited by ltdave on March 02, 2008)

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not everyone can draw a weapon, fire it, and end a life.

I have a book recommendation for the individual that started this thread…good reading.

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society
By Dave Grossman

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4807
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, guns and books about killing, how manly!
However, I recommend a dose of Python:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =VQOMxz-O7Sc&feature=related

Jams, hope that you are recovering well, thanks for giving Paul the opportunity to remind us that his parents house was robbed in 1978.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 701
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In your specific situation a gun would have been of little use. But what if the mugger had done something other than walk away with your $12? What if he had demanded that you give him more money? Or even worse what if you were a woman and faced more of a threat than just losing your cash?

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall: Whimsical or not, you are absolutely correct. For six long years and nights, I worked in the downtown area. I had a similar incident as per my earlier post, when I was a lot younger.
The best defense that anyone can have is 360 degree vigilance and that includes, above, below and all around you. You never stop anticipating the unexpected, even when you think you are safe.
Carrying a weapon can work against you if you are not a trained and experienced expert in self-defense.
Jams, I feel great sadness for you but also happy that you did not suffer a greater injury.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 803
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I'm truly sorry for what happened to you. Believe me, a gun would not have been helpful. I've gone through a similar experience last summer, having been robbed under the thread of a gun and I still remember the panic I felt. I would not have been able to use a gun if I had one. I know it would take some real cold-bloodedness to shoot somebody, even under extreme circumstances. I have been carrying pepper spray ever since. And I've become very paranoid since then also. When I used to greet passersby on the street, I now watch out for everybody as being a potential aggressor. Very sad. I live in the same neighborhood as you, in fact I USED to walk by your house when I USED to go for walks in West and Indian Village. I don't do that anymore. A neighbor of mine was also assaulted and robbed recently when he went to the Chinese take-out place 2 buildings east, right there on Jefferson. That makes 3 incidents I know of, incl. you and me. I used to feel comfortable in this neighborhood but too much stuff like this has happened and I can't WAIT to leave in July when I'm going back to Europe. Sorry Detroit, but you do have a way of disappointing people. Ok, it's not Detroit's fault but still ...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I too am sorry to hear of this incident. Here's hoping that your wrist isn't broken, but whatever the condition of your wrist, the good part is that you are still here; better an x-ray than an autopsy.
A gun? Nah; as you and others have stated, the guy got the drop on you, and that's that.
When it comes to situations like this one, probably the best use for a gun would be for shooting some asshole who you just saw do some shit like that to one of your neighbors.
I'm really sorry about the fact that this stuff happened right at your home. That is creepy, for sure.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto_butterfly, yes it is Detroit's fault what happend to Jams Why do you think King Kwame prefers the Residence Inn in Madison Heights? I knew a guy who was going to do a film in a 3rd World country...they were on a location scouting trip when they were set upon by bandits, who held them at gunpoint while they stole their money & valuables. They just said "f it" & went to Hawaii, this terrifying ordeal costs that country over 10 million dollars. "Broken window policing" look it up

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slow down Flyingj, no its not detroits' fault its the ever expanding devide between classes(rich vs poor) and the only thing to stop it is to realize that it has been here since the beginning of time and placing blame on detroit is not the solution.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear you're going Ghettobutterfly, although I understand. I hope Europe works out for you and can put your mind at ease. You'll be missed.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone hear from Jams?

GhettoButterfly: Best wishes on moving back to Europe. It was nice to have met you...wish we could have gotten to know you better. Take care! And keep in touch every once in a while.

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This happens in Chicago all the time.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about your trouble Jams. You need a gun.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7245
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get better soon Jams.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

carry a knife, keep a gun in a safe place inside your home.
That sucks though, I've been there, hope they catch the loser.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, real sorry to hear about your robbery/injury. It seems to be a fact of life for everyone lately to watch your back. Desperate times bring out all kinds of desperate people, city and suburb alike.

I have to agree with Eastside_cat.

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The really sad part of this story is that the robber apparently has no better options in life than to rob people. This is a sad reflection of our free-market capitalistic economic system. Capitalists continue to squeeze workers, require more of them for less pay, fight worker's rights and their ability to form unions, so the result is that crime pays more for some people at the fringes rather than being a contributing member of society.

You cannot be serious! Society... oops evil capitalist corporate America made him do it. Fuck that.
As for Jams, time to hit the gym and start lifting weights and learn a martial art.

Eastside_cat
Username: Eastside_cat

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsiderules - like minded American... must be an east side thing, I knew there were more of us out there. Confidence and clarity with each step has a deterring effect on the intimidation factor that the scum of the earth use during the initial act.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This happens in Chicago all the time."

STFU. Did anyone say this doesn't happen in Chicago? Those who care more about defending Detroit's "good name" rather than standing up for their fellow Detroiters who have to deal with this shit every day (you know, the actual PEOPLE who live in the city) are pathetic.

Really sorry to read about what happened to you, Jams. I hope your wrist isn't too seriously injured.

(Message edited by GreatLakes on March 03, 2008)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, fer chrissakes, I'm sure that Jams is fully aware that stuff like this happens all of the time in economically depressed urban environments.
He didn't pose the question, "what good would it do to neutron-bomb Detroit?"

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,

Sorry I missed you at the Fort. I made a brief appearance and couldn't contribute that day (had to work later in the day and was dressed for indoors) and just went to check it out. I will be back to do some hands-on.

I am so sorry that happened to you. I wish you a speedy recovery, but most importantly, I hope this scary incident doesn't dampen the enthusiastic smile and sparkle in your personality that noticed when I met you earlier this week. Best wishes.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about your loss, Jams.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, by my experiences, have given money before (only a few cents sometimes a dollar) and they have always asked me for some more money, its is if they werent thankful for getting some they want more? Sorry to hear that Jams.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams..Hope all is well

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams- Are you ok?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have left a couple of messages on his answering machine but I don't know exactly where he lives. Could someone who knows knock on his door and make sure he's OK?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11757
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard from Jams earlier today, he is OK.

He did break a few bones in his wrist, among other things like a chipped kneecap. He knew it was bad yesterday but wouldn't go into details until he got it checked out.

I do not have a number to call him on, unless he's home now...I haven't tried that one, figuring he'd call when he needed anything.

So glad it wasn't worse.

Cheers, all.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The really sad part of this story is that the robber apparently has no better options in life than to rob people. This is a sad reflection of our free-market capitalistic economic system. Capitalists continue to squeeze workers, require more of them for less pay, fight worker's rights and their ability to form unions, so the result is that crime pays more for some people at the fringes rather than being a contributing member of society.

Or, more likely, he's just a common crackhead, not some down-on-his-luck union worker. Plenty of poor people survive without assaulting strangers from behind and strangling them. Sorry, you're not gonna get much sympathy here.

Get better Jams.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gannon, if Jams needs a couple of meals cooked, let us know. I would be willing to drop off a casarole is he doesn't have any help.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too, am very sorry to hear of your misfortune Jams.

I don't think a gun was the answer either and I bet that guy will think twice about messing with you again! Even with the ambush and lack of a gun, it sounds like you still taught him a lesson.

Get well soon!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7764
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Thank you all for the warm wishes and concern.

To start off I'd better explain my wierd title for this thread.

Just a few hours earlier, as I said, I had been to Vivios to meet up with friends. The discussion came around to crime, and led to pro-gun protection vs not carrying a weapon. Needless to say, when the pain would not let me sleep, that question entered my mind. (BTW the assault happened about 9:30 for those that might have questioned my post and my reasoning for it).

I spent all day in Receiving yesterday, and received first-rate attention. From the moment I checked in, it was less than 10 minutes that a doctor was with me.

The bad news is my left arm was broken in two places at the wrist joint and also bones were broken in my wrist as well. There was an orthepedic procedure, that, due to my metabolism, locals wear off very quickly for me. I will give up secrets if ever tortured with that intensity of pain. I guess next week I'll be undergoing more surgery.

The worse news for you here, is I can still type with my right hand.

My right knee was also slightly fractured, but they feel just keeping it immobilized, should allow it to heal adequately.

My nose was slightly broken, but will be ok without treatment.

And I'm sore all over.

I forced my Mom to return me to my home today, by starting a hunger strike and refusal to sleep, if she didn't.

Sorry, Moms, I understand you want to make sure your kids are cared for, but I needed to be with my cats in my home of 15 years and start learning to deal with life with one arm.

It was rather funny explaining to the nurses and the doctors, why I felt I was right in refusing to give that assh--e the $.20.

But maybe this time, I shoulda.

I'll have quite a bit of time to ponder that in the next few weeks.

Again, thanks for the concern and well-wishes.

Jams

Post Number: 7765
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto_butterfly,
I'm so sorry, you feel taking a walk past my house, is a risky affair, we've a beautiful neighborhood and I've loved living here for the past 20 years (two different houses a block apart).

I don't know what I'll decide myself, this is the second time I've been assaulted, 3 years ago I dealt with a home invader, who in order to free himself from me bit me in the shoulder, which we required me to be tested for Hep C several times.

I love my home, my neighbors, and my neighborhood, but the thoughts are going through my mind about how much can I take.

I hope we see each other before you leave, I've really loved your artwork and your unique perspective on life.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. you took quite a beating. I hope you did some damage to the other guy. Post if you would like some compant/help. I am working one-handed as well but I think I am getting the hang of it now.

Jams

Post Number: 7766
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the offer(s).

Gazhekwe,
I was sorry you didn't make it to Fort Wayne on Saturday, Plymouthres was disappointed not to meet you (and Mrs Plymouthres was disappointed not to meet the puppy!)

Hopefully, when he gets back in June or thereabouts we'll all be able to meet up.

The real bit*h is I really need a shower/bath right now, and can't quite figure out how to do it!

yay, figured out, a bread wrapper covered the cast enough, I can stand myself again!

edit for joy of discovery

(Message edited by jams on March 03, 2008)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Ive been using those bags the newspapers are delivered in. So good to have a use for them. Also good for picking up after dog. I was sorry not to see everybody, but I could't quite figure out all the logistics of driving one handed yet. I have it down now, though. Piece of cake!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear you're OK there (or as well as can be expected) Jams. Get well soon.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

If there's anything I can help with, please don't hesitate to let me know. Gannon has my contact info.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2568
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, sorry to hear what happened. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Regarding having a gun, unless you had a feeling this guy was going to do something and you already had a gun out, having a gun in this situation would have done nothing to thwart the situation.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats the latest on this Jams ??? how are you doing and any luck on finding this guy ???

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 472
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams-

I just saw this tonight. I am very upset that this incident occurred to you and in your own neighborhood, none the less. WTF?

I wish I were back there to set things straight with this thug for you. Too bad he didn't show up earlier at the Fort. He would have gone home with my 28oz. Eastwing stuck firmly between his eyes!

I agree with most here:the weapon would have been almost useless to you considering you were blindsided. It's a miracle that he didn't hurt you worse, but he did mess you up and for that I am deeply sorry.

For those of you who don't know it, Jams has been a fixture helping out at Fort Wayne and a real friend to my wife and I. We have had many great conversations and I have always thought that he was one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. If there were more people like my friend Jams, the world would be A LOT BETTER(and safer!)PLACE.

I wish you a speedy recovery and MrsRes says that anything you need just call. She isn't coming out here for a while, has a vehicle to get you around if need be, and wishes to help out any way she can. I, of course, would fly home in a minute if I thought you needed me or that I could be of any assistance to you.

As for the guy, keep your eyes open. Payback can be a bitch around the May-June timeframe! Perhaps then this idiot will learn some respect for his fellow man.

Rax

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump!

Has anyone one heard from this person? Is he/she ok?

Jams

Post Number: 7859
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm bored to death.

I was about to start a new job (or 2) last week, needless to say having only one useful arm put the kibosh on that.

Thanks for asking!

Rax

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to hear that you are coming along. Stinks to lose work. But what can you do?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is the arm coming along? Can you keyboard two handed yet?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.