Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Alger Theater « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Daisy_clover
Username: Daisy_clover

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I haven't been to this site in many years... I can't even remember my original user name, so I made up a new one. Anyway, I remember going on a tour of the Alger Theater about seven years ago. I had found out about it on this forum.

The Friends of the Alger Theater are such great people. For me, that tour was something that will stay with me the rest of my life. It made a huge impact on me and reinforced my decision to work in the city. The theater was a mess, but the Friends had such great love and hope. It was so inspiring.

Whenever I get discouraged about Detroit, I think of magical places like the Alger Theater. I only hope that the theater will be restored someday. It's a beautiful thought.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the Friends of the Alger are, indeed, wonderful people, the Alger has been sitting empty for, what, 20 years? Longer? Despite their efforts, the Alger -- and the once-thriving Warren-Outer Drive commercial district -- stand as a symbol of metro Detroit's unforgiving economic development situation.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have many fond memories of the Alger. I still drive by it from time to time and wonder what it's fate will be.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

same here memories of the Alger,Cunninghams,Saunders.

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Alger Theatre area is very dear to me with all the quality stores and homes up and down Outer Drive. My firsty real job in High School was at the Alger Florist-Courville and E. Warren. I drove the delivery truck without a license as well as other chores for the Jacksons.
Just down the street was the Methodist Church who built a beautiful new sanctuary after existing in two connected portable wooden buildings through the war(WW11). The other way at Yorkshire was Robin's Drugs which moved to a much larger( but cold and impersonal) store across the street. The Alger got shows later than the Vogue but was a much classier spot.

Pgn421

Post Number: 467
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill- what street did you live on? What high school did you go to?

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421, I spent many Saturday afternoons at the Alger. My sister worked the ticket window and would let me and my buddies in for free. I lived just around the corner on Kensington. E.Warren was alive during the 70's. Breakfast or late night desert at BJ's, Red Carpet, Alonosi's, burger at Sabre Lancer. I did stain glass at Steven Frank's. I had a crush on a girl who lived right behind the Alger next to the library.

Pgn421

Post Number: 468
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent a lot of time in the area at Warren and Outer Driive. My dad had a real estate business at Warren and Bishop.We livedon Bishop off Mack. Did you know the Slattery's? They lived by the library,

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2792
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the Slattery brothers...Bob was in my class at BG, Bill was a year ahead. I still see them from time to time. They're doing great work in renovating buildings in the Cass Corridor!! And thy lived next to the Essian family on E. Outer Drive. Jim Essian was a catcher in the big leagues!!

Hey, what about A&K Oriental and the Meditteranean Lounge?? Two of my favorite memories of that neighborhood.

Pgn421

Post Number: 469
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen-Is Bill Slattery involved in the mid town devellopments? He was in my grade at BG.yes too many places to be mentioned at Warren and Outer Drive.Miss all of em.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard, Bill was working with Bob on their developments in Midtown. A few years back, Bill gave us a tour of one of their rehabbed buildings. Very nice!

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the Stoukas Greek grocery across from A & K, and the meat store west of Audubon, and B'stilla, the rather hip bar. The old post office east of Outer drive was the place where kids across the USA mailed their orders for that weird stuff on bubblegum wrappers -- supposed see-through glasses and bird whistles etc.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Alger was magical for me too. My mother's uncle (a doctor) lived on the next block on Frankfort & Outer Drive. He had office hours out of his house on weekday afternoons and my grandmother worked for him. After work, she and I would walk over to Warren, go to Kresge's to eat at the lunch counter, movie at the Alger, and Sanders afterwards. There are so many movies from that early 60's era that when I watch them today, I remember seeing them at the Alger with my grandmother - and no matter how bad the movie, I can't help watching it and remembering the first time I saw it there.

Servite76

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville, Small world. My family Doctor who delivered me and my sisters lived right behind Cunninghams on E.Warren and E.Outerdrive. He ran his practice out of his house in the basement. I still remember sitting in the basement with my mom while she sat there and smoked. His name was Dr. Fenner.

Pgn421

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Across the street , i can remember a chiropractor, who had his business in his home too. Right behind the gas station on Warren and Outer Drive.

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chiropractor was my dad. He and Dr Fenner where best friends. Rather an odd relationship for an MD and Chiropractor at the time. The houses where built by the same builder and where mirror images of each other.

I work at the Alger from 74 until it closed the fist time, so I'm thinking I may have worked with Servite 76s sister. From there I went on to the Vouge, until it close and finally the Eastland.

Spent a lot of time in the Saber Lancer. The drinking age back then was 18, and I could usually get a couple of free drinks for a free movie. Good think I only had cross the street to get home.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Alger was always a fun time. I grew up on Devonshire and we would stop at Rose & Doms party store on 3 Mile Dr. to get candy, then go to the show. We usually paid for 1 ticket then let our friends in from the exit that let out next to the Red Carpet. Afterwards stopped by Sanders and A&K(always for the swedish fish) and to smell all the spices. Then stop by DeRonnes Hardware just to look around.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4068
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called the phone number painted on the back of the Alger Theatre a couple years ago and I got what sounded like an old answering machine saying it was the line for the Alger Theatre - the building had obviously been closed for years, but the line still worked.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geoff Gowman has been leading the effort for years to get the theater opened again.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=3659

It looks like it's been cleaned up a bit recently, but nowhere near reopening. http://www.algertheater.org/ is the group working to restore it.

Pgn421

Post Number: 475
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus-Rose of, Rose and Doms, used to crack me up.That hairdo!

Servite76

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421, HaHa, I was going to mention that about Rose. Dyed jet black hair piled high and ruby red lipstick. Dom never came to the front of the store much. I think he was ill back then. Out of the many flats I rented, one of them was directly behind Rose & Doms on the alley. My landlady was deaf and her little dog was blind.

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421(strange name)-I lived on Oldtown, went to Finney grade school and the great Denby HS-as did my two older brothers. I graduated(hold your hat)in '45 and my brothers were '38 and '40. We moved to Oldtown in '39 just after all the houses other side of Cadieux were finished and occupied- great neighborhoods and families

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite76 - Maybe it was the times, but it's interesting that your family doctor ran his practice from his basement at Warren & Outer Dr. My uncle's name was Paul Rohde and that's exactly what he did. He had his office in the basement also. I always remember when we visited how his basement/office had a certain smell from the sterilization and certain medications that he kept on hand. My aunt (his wife) was a pharmacist and worked in a pharmacy farther in the city called Kirk's Drug Store. We didn't live far - near Morang & Kelly, but because my grandmother (who worked for him) didn't drive, we drove her over there every day; so that neighborhood was like a second home to me, which is why the Alger and all of the stores in the area are special memories.

Pgn421

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about Sahara restaurant,Warren and Audobon? excellent kibbee! sorry about the thread jack.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an old snap from a year or so ago:

Alger

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alger Theater

The movie "In Old Chicago" was produced in 1937

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.