Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Walton Blvd. Closed Between Lapeer Rd/Perry « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 408
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until November, guys. They are building a new five lane overpass over I-75. What a drag.Gas Gas Gas!!

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 409
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is wrong. It is between Squirrel Rd & Lapeer Rd./Perry. I tried to go back and it didn't work. I was trying to correct the BLVD. DUHHHH!

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on March 01, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, thanks Jackie Paige :-)

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 410
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, man. I'm getting old....and I never did use my brain like I was supposed to. I feel dormant sometimes....waiting to break out (in a rash?).

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is long overdue. Walton is 5 lanes west of Perry and a four lane divided road east of Squirrel. Plus, the pavement has been in really bad shape for years.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 414
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is two lanes east of the overpass to Squirrel. It IS long overdue.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was another thread on this, and it appears we will still be able to access the Dairy Queen (?) I also hope one will still be able to access the emergency veterinary center on Walton just west of Squirrel, as that is the closest 24-hr. vet to my house. I believe there is also planned construction on the other really bumpy part of Walton, near Silver Lake Road. The whole road resembles moon sometimes; I read in an article once that GM used Walton Blvd. to develop the Chevrolet TrailBlazer suspension b/c the surface changes so many times along the length of the road & it includes some pretty "challenging" stretches of pavement.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hear hear Dustin! The portion of Walton between Clintonville Rd and the Pontiac city line is horrendous! Are they really going to be resurfacing that portion also? I hadn't heard about that, maybe it will be next year. BTW, which vet do you use? I am looking for one for my dog.

As for the closure between Perry and Squirrel, well that will make for a little detour to get to downtown Rochester or even to the Cottage Inn Pizza. Way overdue though!

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to the manager at 7-11 on Walton and Dexter yesterday and he said that Walton would be open up to the bridge. There are quite a few side streets in there. Turn south on any one of them and they will take you to University. I am not sure where the north streets go. I have been meaning to take a ride north on Dexter, but I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown--I believe I read in the Oakland Press the other day that the Clintonville--Pontiac stretch of Walton was to be fixed in 2009, but don't hold me to that--I'll have to double check. My mother got a little bichon frise this year, and we go to Pytel in Goodrich, which is north of where I live, but for emergency services (i.e. nights and weekends) you have to go either to a place on Telegraph in Bloomfield Hills, or to the one @ Walton and Squirrel. I'm happy to hear, according to Ladyinabag's post, that Walton will be open up to the I-75 bridge so that the strip mall can still be accessed.

Yaktown

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady, if you take Dexter north it turns into Shimmons Road. There will be a curve to the right where you will see Oakland Christian School. Shimmons Rd ends at Squirrel Rd. If you go left on Shimmons, it will take you to Phillips Road. Turn right and it will lead you to Lapeer Road/M-24 by the Palace. I've a feeling people trying to go east-to-west will be using that route, if they're savvy enough ;-) Happy driving.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, this is part of my USA Today route. I go as far west on Walton as Perry/Lapeer Rd. Then I go back and deliver to Chrysler Tech. From there I deliver to Oakland University. I start at Dequindre and Auburn Rds. Big route. I usually come west on Walton and turn left on Squirrel and deliver to The Macaroni Grill first. Now I will go to the 7-11 at Walton and Dexter first and then back to The Macaroni Grill.... then west on University to Pontiac Road.... then North (it seems like it's all west to me. It probably is. Dexter to 24 sounds like a good by-pass. I'll try it next time I go that way. I am thinking of moving out that way anyway.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning I noticed that the light at Dexter and Walton had been removed. It gets worse. I deliver to a Marathon station at Lapeer Rd. & Perry. I decided that I would take Pontiac Rd. to Opdyke, make a right to Walton and left to Lapeer (the station is on the N.E. corner of Lapeer and Walton). Well, I found that they have removed the light at Walton and Opdyke as well. It was so dark over there that I totally missed the turn. I wound up veering on to Lapeer Rd. from Opdyke and had to go under I-75 before I could make a u-turn to get back to Lapeer and Walton. So, the best way to go is.... keep going west on Pontiac Rd to Perry (Perry changes to Lapeer Rd. at Walton) right on Perry. What a nightmare.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on March 03, 2008)

Yaktown

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, sorry to hear about your route Lady! I guess they had to remove the signals due to all the work, never heard of that happening though. Thanks for the heads-up. I was on I-75 this evening about 4:45 and drove over Pontiac Road, wasn't as busy as I had expected. I feel bad for the people over there (I have 2 co-workers living over there!) but it needed to be done.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.