Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Giant Construction on Telegraph and Square Lake « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is this huge building going up on Telegraph and Square Lake road? It's directly across the street from Golling Dodge. There are no signs present, which is why I wanted to know.

Dtwflyer
Username: Dtwflyer

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Target

Will be the first 2-story Target in Michigan. That used to be a movie theater was and the site sat vacant for a number of years.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work across the street from there and it's been interesting watching the progress. It should be open this fall. There will be a parking garage under the store at ground level.

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thx for the replies guys. That's gotta be the largest Target in the country. I remember the movie theater being there. Had to built in the 60's.

(Message edited by cincinnati_kid on March 02, 2008)

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think when the theater left the sign said something to the effect of "thanks for 27 great years" Not sure when it came down.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Yaktown

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Showcase Cinema 1-5 opened there in 1970 and closed in 2002, according to this page: http://www.water-winterwonderl and.com/location.asp?ID=411&ty pe=5

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"2 story Target" is a bit misleading.... the lower level will be parking. I know there is at least one Target like this already in Chicago.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown...I miss the Showcase Cinemas so bad. When I was in elementary school, my mother took me to many a movie at the ones on Telegraph Road in Bloomfield Hills & the theater on Opdyke Rd. in Auburn Hills, and also (I can't remember if it was a Showcase--I'm pretty sure it was) the smallish theater on the Summit Place Mall property, near the Food Court. I have no choice now, so I go to Star Theaters with friends, but I don't like it nearly as much.
P.S. I'm pretty sure there were two Showcase Cinemas on Telegraph, across the street from each other.

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know why this specific site was chosen for a 2 story Target? I would expect that in a more urban area. It seems like there is plentiful land there - and I would have assumed that they would have done the typical big box store with the surrounding sea of parking.

Yaktown

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin, the cinema at Summit Place was never a Showcase. It was simply called Summit Cinema I-III. Previous to the outbuilding, the cinema was located inside the mall. And you are correct on the 2 Showcases on Telegraph. I recall going to the Cinema 6-12 wayyyy back in 1985 to see Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Rokk, they don't seem to have a lot of parking there as they share a lot with Hillside Furniture. They probably had to add the parking garage to be up to code or whatever, i.e: so many parking spots for so many square feet of building.

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two storey Target? That is so Cleveland four years ago.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5399
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking underneath? What's up with developers lately, they are actually making intelligent moves.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5400
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS reminds me a little of the Art Van on Woodward in RO. It's an interesting space, with part of the store overhanging the parking.

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, isn't the entire store overhanging the parking?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5401
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not positive, can't you turn left or right at the top of the escalator from the parking level? I think right is the part over the parking, but left is not. I'm not 100% on that, though.

Dustin89

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown--I had never heard that [that the cinema was once inside the Summit Place]. When did they go from having it inside to the outbuilding?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for them for doing this there. There are two forms of "urban" Targets in Chicago. One is a smaller-plot 2 story store with an attached parking garage. Another is this method, basically a normal Target parking lot with a normal Target store right on top of it.

Kids love the shopping cart escalators.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5407
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected, happened to drive by that Art Van today, there is parking under both sides, so yes, the entire store is above parking spaces.

Yaktown

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin, I think the Summit Place Cinema was indoors back in the early 80's. I recall when it was still called Pontiac Mall and was being renovated and then renamed Summit Place. I would hazard a guess that the outbuilding was completed circa 1986.

Check that, here's the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S ummit_Place_Mall
has no info on the cinema though. Sorry to get off-topic!

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Space is not plentiful there. And whatever is available is very 'spensive!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I would expect that in a more urban area."

Thats just a bit outside downtown Pontiac. Perfect blend of subs and urban areas for a store like that.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the largest Target I've ever seen in New Orleans this past New Years' break. IT was also two stories and had awesome shopping card escalators...totally made me think of what a Target, with a limited footprint, would be like.

Dustin89

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown--I knew that there was a renovation and then an expansion in the early 1990's...but if your guess of 1986 is correct that is why I never knew about the cinema being indoors. I'm only 18, so I remember the Summit Place of the mid-to-late 1990s to present.

BTW to get back on topic: is there any word on whether the Summit West Target location will close as a result of this new Telegraph/Sq. Lake Target? It seems very close to the Waterford location on Summit Drive.

Yaktown

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that explains the 89 after your screenname, same year I graduated high school. Anyway, I have also heard rumors that the Target in Waterford will be closing after this new one opens. Same thing happened with Steve & Barry's. They had a great location at Great Lakes Crossing then opened another one at Summit North (the old HQ building). Now the store at GLC is closed!

Dustin89

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't say I was too upset about the Steve & Barry's move from GLC to Summit North. :-D

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.