Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Out of state police depts. recruiting in Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn’t completely Detroit-specific, but it’s Detroit-related:

“80 Seek Albuquerque Police Jobs”

http://www.mlive.com/news/inde x.ssf/2008/02/80_seek_albuquer que_police_job.html

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/20 07/jul/03/albuquerque-police-d epartment-airs-tv-ads-officers /

...which talks about APD’s efforts to recruit potential police from Michigan.

Anyone know if other states have done similar things? I’m very curious to know how common this is.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3643
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I've seen other states do it. It seemed to really kick in the year that Detroit laid off the entire class at the academy. A former co-worker, who had a few years as an officer, was looking to get back with a department about two years ago and had a tough time here. There were only a handful of departments in the state taking applications. He could have gotten jobs out of state in a heartbeat but he wanted to stay here and finally got in with a sheriff's department. Even then there was a chance that department would be laying off in a matter of months.

He had filed outstate apps for Florida, Georgia, Arizona, and California that I know of. I think it was Arizona that was recruiting really heavily for a while.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Places like Arizona and California doesn’t surprise me, somehow. But New Mexico? It’s not exactly a high-growth, big destination kind of place.
I'm also wondering how frequently this happens across the midwest in general.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2804
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of a number of former DPD officers that went over to the Albuquerque PD over the years. Weather is a little cooler than most of the southwest because of its higher elevation, but it's quite a boomtown. The beauty of the state itself is among one of America's most underestimated features.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3647
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

found a webforum posting from February 2007 about Dallas PD recruiting at Schoolcraft College

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6389
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can think of one Warren police officer that may be willing to relocate... and loves collecting overtime.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Scottsdale and Phoenix PD's have been advertising in the bathrooms of Comerica Park for a few years now

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like what the Big 3 did in the 40s and 50s getting people from the south to come up her to work in the auto factories. Montana and Wyoming are also recruiting for police and other jobs in MI, of course with that comes a life with very little amenities.

Sandyrabbit
Username: Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a friend of mine lost his job, he is now training for an atf position and had to leave state all together, what a bummer.
he seems happy though.

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just moved here from Albuquerque 3 months ago...I'm in the graduate program at Wayne State.

Anyway, Albuquerque (ABQ) has had a hard time recruiting police officers from New Mexico for a while now. I know in the past, ABQ Police Dept was critisized for paying their officers so little money. Now the situation is better, and the officers get paid alot more, but they STILL have problems recruiting officers.
Many cadets can't pass the psych, physical, or written parts of the entrance exam....OR they dont qualify becuase of the "no prior felony convictions" rule.

Albuquerque is becoming quite the boomtown, in entertainment (there are ALOT of movies being filmed there now) and technological (INTEL, labs, etc) so I think ABQ is taking advantage of the new boom, and somewhat taking advantage of Michigan's sluggish economy at the same time by coaxing people out of Michigan to come to NM for a fresh start.

ABQ and New Mexico overall is very, very beautiful. I would imagine Quite a culture shock for someone from Michigan, though. I grew up there so it was no big deal to me...but I am curious to hear what recent transplants think of it!

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a criminal justice major at MSU, at our recent career fair Texas (Austin, Dallas, & Arlington Police Departments) all showed up as well as police departments from Wisconsin, New Mexico, Ohio, and Indiana. Last year I remember police departments from Arizona as well.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 499
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evelyn, ABQ is experiencing quite the boom in population...in fact it was names #1 on Forbes Magazine's Top 10 Best Places to Live and Work

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.