Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Building Identification « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone tell me the name/history of the red brick/stone building located at the northwest corner of Cass and Fort St. downtown? Sorry, I don't have a picture :^/ Is it currently in use? It doesn't really look abandoned, but I can't tell for sure. I pass it every day on the way in to work and I get more and more curious with each day.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thedetroitclub.com/

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5316
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the Detroit Club, I think.

they are still active

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you meant the northeast corner? That would be the Detroit club.

http://www.thedetroitclub.com/

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4029
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out their membership fees, $1000 to join isn't too bad , but $395 a month would be a bit much

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beaten to the punch! But I found this article, and it's got a nifty old photo.

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=155

Jline
Username: Jline

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father has been a member of the club. I have eaten many meals and attended many family celebrations at the Detroit Club. The interiors are fantastic. One room on the first floor is filled with exotic animal trophy heads! and the bathroom still has a shoe shine stand built in one wall, even cologne and such out on the bathroom counters. You can feel the history of Detroit when you walk through the rooms.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6380
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really is an awesome place. Preservation Wayne held their annual meeting there about 7 years ago, and the 2 story grand ballroom on the 3rd level was a sight to behold!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my wife and i had our wedding reception there. it really is a great space.

that's actually the dining room gistok. interesting anecdote; when the renaissance club was going in the ren cen, the board approached the detroit club. they wanted to buy the wood panelling from the dining room of the detroit club, remove it, and have it installed in their new club. thankfully, the DC refused.

their website has some other interesting historical tidbits, such as: one of the private dining rooms is where lee iacocca signed the restoration papers for the statue of liberty.

the DC is a favorite of preservation wayne for their annual meetings and awards. the first time i ever went inside was for their awards gala in 1996.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.