Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Bad Idea Dept., local TV category « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 540
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A local marketing communication blogger shares inside word of a nutty notion floated by an unnamed Metro Detroit station that seeks a big up-front check to stage a fund-raising telethon for a nonprofit cause.
quote:

This is an example of how because of a vanishing audience, TV stations are desperate for revenue. . . . At least one station is willing to pass off advertising as public service.

Details here. Click Blog link at center.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3302
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, you've got my attention.

Which station is it?

Realitycheck

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Hey, wouldn't we all like to know.

Blogger understandably didn't say to avoid burning the nonprofit contact (client?) who leaked it.

Maybe a station insider with a more admirable ethical compass than management can whisper here . . .

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5320
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't ask me why, but it sounds an awful lot like the empty posturing so typical of WDIV. Every time one of their people is involved in a charity event, they go on and on about how wonderful X is, how much time they spend on charity work, and very little about what the charity does

Realitycheck

Post Number: 544
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look deep inside and tell the truth now: Who among us isn't deeply moved by the touching plight of a broadcaster in need?

Only a truly cold-hearted viewer could fail to think 'The fate of this helpless I-Team or Action News Team depends on my generosity and compassion.'

Yes, we all can make a difference. When caring viewers join together to support Save the Station telethons — programs that bring financial health, stability and economic opportunities — the impact is profound. Their work would not be possible without individual donations made by compassionate neighbors like us.

Don't force any station to rename its consumer protection segment Ruth Needs a Rescue. Donate now. They'll be glad you did.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you, reality. I pledge to donate ten percent of my income this coming year to the intrepid reporters who endure dirty looks for their softball questions of our elected officials. That would amount to....full story Monday at 11PM. Keep on chuckling, network chuckleheads.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.