Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Zoo Water Tower « Previous Next »
Archive through February 28, 2008Jt130 02-28-08  4:23 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the cost would be *that* much, but I'm more annoyed with the fact that it doesn't belong there.

Do we put the current Mayor's name on the Belle Isle Bridge? The libraries? Other Detroit landmarks?

Maybe I'm being a hypocrite, though... I didn't cringe when I saw Archer's name on it ;)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11366
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might not be that much but it is still a waste. Whenever you are looking to cut cost you go after the easy things. It might not be much but it is a waste and a waste that can be resolved in about 5 minutes.

Maybe the Mayor's name was historically on it to remind everyone that the only city whose tax dollars support the zoo was Detroit.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3623
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CAY started it. I remember wondering at the time if Archer's name would go up, too, and it did. Didn't wonder at all about KK's.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do we put the current Mayor's name on the Belle Isle Bridge? The libraries? Other Detroit landmarks?"

^^The mayor's name has always been on the sign leading to Belle Isle

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Vizion. I remember the sign, but don't remember a mayor's name prior to Kwame. For some reason, I thought that was put in when he put in all of that nice landscaping...

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Zoo Water Tower - 1940's

Larger View

Ookpik

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Daily Tribune (2/1/1985), it was Mayor Coleman Young who decided the tower should stay. "The mayor feels the tower is a landmark and people associate it with the zoo," said his spokesman. It was owned by the Southeast Oakland County Water Authority. The Zoo Commission called for its demolition. The Mayor made the right call in my book.

The tower was build in 1928. It used to hold 1.5 million gallons of water.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 606
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Tower too, but I wonder what the yearly maintenance fees cost the zoo? Or Detroit for that matter. Probably a lot less than recent 9 million bath the city took.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 536
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be lit up at night but lately it seems that the lights have been off. Is this still true?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7205
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine who grew up in Huntington Woods way back when told me that he used to climb to the top of the water tower and he said that one could actually straddle the brass ball that sits on top of the tower- it's about 3-4' wide. I'm not sure whether to be amazed that he climbed the tower or shake my head wondering what was he thinking then.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3633
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, climbing the tower was a thing the guys did in high school. They also used to get into the zoo at night through the fence on the Huntington Woods side. According to my brother they used to ride the camels, among other things.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6382
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That water tower has been controversial with the Detroit mayors name on it for decades. The tower has been a thorn in the sides of the people and politicians of Oakland County. They absolutely HATED having Coleman A. Young's name prominently hovering high above their main street and visible for miles from 1973-93.

The complaints died down during the Archer years.

And now it seems that with KK the irritation over it seems to have reignited...

Funny that...

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantastic shot, Ookpik. And taken from an old shell gas station to boot! In my head I can’t quit figure the exact location of the POV, any help with that? I am guessing looking west, from the east side of Woodward near the Washington/Main split, near where I-696 now runs.
Fishtoes2000, even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but I question His Honors' intentions at the time. I would guess what Gistok stated is true, as Young sure knew how to play the game.
Lilpup brings me back to a question I asked earlier; since many a dare-devil has scaled this tower, would any of you like to post the photos souvenirs you may have?
Thanks to all of the above for the lively comments and a special thanks to Johnlodge,
Hornwrecker, Chris_rohn, and especially Ookpik for taking the extra time to post photos from their personal collections, as I never can get enough of that stuff.

Bullet

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on February 29, 2008)

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on February 29, 2008)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok wrote, "They absolutely HATED having Coleman A. Young's name prominently hovering high above their main street and visible for miles from 1973-93."

Young's name didn't appear on the tower until sometime between 1986-1988, not 1973. And the name wasn't visible (readable) for miles-- in fact, probably less than a mile in any direction.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for clarification, Burnsie. But the fact remains that many hated Young’s name up there at all. I think he (the mayor) relished that, and it played into the politics of the day

Jt1

Post Number: 11373
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the fact remains that the city of Detroit was the only city/county whose taxes were supporting the zoo. So the people who complained can F off.

The city was paying millions a year for the zoo when nobody else was so they can put whatever they please on the sign. NOw that the state (I believe) is putting up money it may change.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6385
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the CAY years Burnsie. I know that the name on the tower can't be seen for miles, but the tower itself sure can be.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your point is well taken, Jt1. But let’s remember those were the grand old days when the tension between the City of Detroit and Oakland County were played out on a dally basis. That name up there was more of a middle finger then a cheerful hello from Mayor Young. Some things have changed since then, but sadly much hasn’t: Re; Cobo for starters. I welcome your comments.

Jt1

Post Number: 11377
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure that to some extent it was a middle finger. My only point was that if you pay you have the right to put up the middle finger.

Hopefully as time goes by something as trivial as the name on a water tower won't be seen as a middle finger (even if it was) or seen as a city vs. suburbs thing.
Of course I don't care to see elected officials names on anything that will have to be changed after they leave office.

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tower

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bullet,

Thanks for the kind words. Here are two photos taken from atop the Water Tower:

http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/ mp/historical/sld002.htm

The following thread discussed the Shell Station and includes photos posted by Psip:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/95077.html

Ookpik

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I couldn't have said it any better then that. We all strive to push on in this region, and I think the problems we face can be over come, even by the people we have in office now. What will be the catalyst? Well, that is the question for our heart.
But we have digressed here from the original question (and isn't it interesting how quickly) of the history of this local landmark. So let me just throw out some simple to the point questions:
Who built it?
How long did construction take?
When was it first put on line?
How is (was) it incorporated into the water main grid.
Any maps, or charts, perhaps blueprints?
Just a few to start.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a ton for the linkage Ook, you never disappoint. Tk65s photo posting can be found there as well, along with some good insights by some of our DY ancestors. I will read thru it over lunch.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The paint scheme on the tower in the photo Jt65 posted is the last one the tower had until it was repainted circa '86-88.

(Message edited by Burnsie on February 29, 2008)

Jt1

Post Number: 11378
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BM - After this I will top on our tangent. I think that for any expectation of change the 4.5 MM people in SE michigan all have to take it upon themselves to institute this change.

Looking to leadership has been ineffective fro 50+ years and as individuals and citizens we all have to work towards a better region, even if our leaders often don't.

To add to BM's questions:

Ws it originally built for the zoo or was it originally a city reservoir?

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This wasn't mentioned earlier, but another reason to have water towers is it allows you to buy water from Detroit during off-peak hours at a lower cost.

And, according to the Tribune article I mentioned earlier, this tank was taken off line in July of 1984 shortly after a valve broke on it.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, amen bro, amen. And an excellent question too. We now know that the Jt65 paint scheme photo was from '86 to '89. I would still like to see a line up of them all, from start to present.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as names written on the Zoo's Water Tower, I remember a punk band from the late 1970's writing "Seat Belts Rock" on it. They had an obscure tune called "Rock and roll Venison", I believe.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An obscure memory Sludgedaddy, of an obscure band. Were the Seat Belts a local band?

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I don't like have a mayor's name plastered all over, it isn't unusual to have the mayor's name on things.

However the mayor's name on everything started with CAY. I remember when shortly after his first election, stickers with "Coleman A. Young, Mayor" appeared above the doors of all the city buses, whose riders had previously been able to live in ignorance as to the name of the mayor if they so preferred.

It took longer before it seemed to be on everything owned by the city.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, I believe the Seat Belts hailed from Royal Oak and were contemporaries of Hamtown's Mutants, Reruns, Incredible Mohawk Bros. etal. Saw them live at Lili's once.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that info, Sludgedaddy. I was a big Mutants fan. Say, how about a thread just for Detroits lost leaders of punk? You start...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4570
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread and pics!

Slight tangent... Am I the only one that noticed

Royal Oak
Population 80,612
?

Population (year 2000): 60,062. Estimated population in July 2006: 57,984.

-28% and falling?

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that too, Lowell. It's probably due to the continuous drop in the number of children. Royal Oak has more dogs than kids.

Here's more history on the water tower:
http://www.socwa.org/history.h tml

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5447
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you know?

The Detroit Zoo was the first zoo in the country to have open, natural exhibits.

The Detroit Zoo was the first zoo in the country to have an exclusive penguin facility.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RO's population peaked at 90,000 in 1971.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the linkage, Fishtoes200. I love to learn about infrastructure stuff, and there is a ton of it there. What of these "meter stations and 47 meter vaults"? What do they do, and where are they? Are there any photos of them? Lowell/7051, any idea how the population trend in RO jibe with Detroit’s during this same period? Perhaps there was something in that water?

Swtlorrain66
Username: Swtlorrain66

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they should leave it. Decorate it...
Paint it ALL white and put a NEW Detroit Zoo sign on it. OR..pick a NICE Royal Oak logo.
My grandparents moved up from NJ in the late
70's and we lived in these apartments on Woodward. I went to school @ The Shrine and they took me to the zoo several times. If we all love some of Detroits' landmarks and buildings so much?? Why have them torn down, rather then save them?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5504
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with how it looks now? That's the Zoo's new identity, it's not going anywhere soon.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a response to the second part of the original post on how water towers actually work and distribute water, the answer is simple: gravity. In order to get the maximum amount of flow and pressure in the network of water mains in a system, something needs to push the water along. This is accomplished by using an elevated storage tank. Water is pumped up into the tank and stored there. Basically, the weight of the water creates the pressure. The greater the elevation difference that exists between the water level in the tank and the network below, the greater the pressure. The pressure must be great enough to not only provide pressure in underground mains, but also push water into upper floors of buildings. This is why many communities construct their water treatment facilities and water towers at the highest point in their community.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good info, Tigers2005, and an A+ to you.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5529
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I noticed. The Zoo's official logo, the "critter parade" was recently changed to exclude the Elephant in it. Because, of course, the Detroit Zoo sent their Elephants to a better home with more room. I wonder if they will spend the money to change the tower any time soon.

Swtlorrain66
Username: Swtlorrain66

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of water towers!...lol. You should see the HUGE water tower in Twin Rivers, NJ!
This thing is TALL!!
I love elephants! they're so smart!
I said.."Hello Mr. Elephant." as I waved and he waved his trunk at me! That was SO cool!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 278
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More and interesting water towers
http://virtualglobetrotting.co m/category/buildings/towers-wa ter-storage/50/?v=0&f=0&so=2

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.