Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Best chips and salsa (I've found) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, what the hell does the Honeybee Market (on Bagley) put into its salsa? Black tar?
Its chips are outstanding as well.
Just thought I'd share.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is black tar supposed to make salsa taste good?

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

only if it's of the heroin variety.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get he black tar thing either...doesn't sound good. Whassup?

I love everything there...it's a freakin' amazing place.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I always grab a bottle of their imported from Mexico Coca Cola, made with real sugar and in glass bottles, goes great with the chips and salsa.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh... it was a joke.
As in:
"Why is this stuff so addictive?"
"Maybe they put black tar (heroin, which is addictive) in it."

Never mind. The point is, the salsa is top shelf. Fresh and cilantro-y.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on February 26, 2008)

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

La Colmena is great. I've tried their chips and salsa, too - very good. Only thing I don't like is that they don't have aji dulce - E&L is the only place I've found anywhere that has those.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed on the Coca-Cola at Honeybee, make sure you get the glass bottle. The Sprite is also seems way better (plus a bit more tart).

Almost all their prepared food is good too, I had a nice lunch special today.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would recommend the black tar chips from Afghanistan and the Peruvian Cocoa Salsa.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one Lefty!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night I stumbled on this Mexican restaraunt near Holly called Trini's North. I soon found out its part of the Trini & Carmen's group. I used to eat there a lot at the Telegraph restaraunt. My question is this, does anyone remember the botulism episode they had in the 70's. I recall they bottled their own hot sauce and the botulism made many sick and I think maybe even killed some people.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westborn Market sells Garden Fresh Gourmet Tortilla Chips. They're kettle style and come in salted or unsalted; I highly recommend them.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the botulism. It was from the peppers, I think they ran out of commercial and opened a home canned jar. I am very sure they won't do that again! Miraculously, nobody died.

"Trini and Carmen’s Hot Sauce in Michigan

In 1977, nacho sauce produced by a Pontiac, Michigan, restaurant called Trini and Carmen’s was the cause of a well-known botulism incident in the United States. Trini and Carmen Martinez, the owners of the Mexican restaurant, used home-canning methods to preserve their nacho hot sauce. No one died in this incident, but fifty-nine people became very ill. Unlike Bon Vivant, though, the Trini and Carmen name survived the bad publicity. A chain of Trini and Carmen’s restaurants is still in business in the Midwest."

Teen Health and Wellness.com

(Message edited by gazhekwe on March 02, 2008)

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried Kroger house brand salsa last night, by mistake. Damn that stuff was good. Don't know who makes it for them but give it a try. Best salsa in a jar I've ever had.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When that happened Trini & Carmen's was at a different location, on Woodward Avenue in Pontiac near St. Joseph Mercy hospital. Their locations are now the Waterford restaurant (Telegraph & Dixie) and the aforementioned new Trini's North on Dixie Highway. I'm pretty sure they had an express stand or something on Elizabeth Lake Rd.--I'm not sure if that is still operating or not.

From what I've gathered, a popular T-shirt at the time was (I'm paraphrasing): "I ate at Trini & Carmen's and survived."

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm hooked on the honeybee black tar and the mexican coke, also the sugar coated tortilla chips

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word, Chitaku. That schitt is dope. Chow that schitt down!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Jack's fresh Salsa sold at costco 5.00 for 4 lbs great.

Awesome Bloody Mary - Use Jacks Salsa juice, strain into a cup and then mix with vodka and the usual other stuff.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4063
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds yummy!

Southwestsaavy
Username: Southwestsaavy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El Barzon on Junction just south of Michigan Avenue has the best chips and salsa. Also try their guacamole.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the taqueria mi pueblo spicy salsa is great. You can buy a large container of it from them for 2 dollars.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 197
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the chips and salsa at Armando's on Vernier.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernor. Sorry. Wrong side of town.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live a couple blocks from Armando's and I must say that their salsa is the best of all the ones I've tried in the area. I still prefer the chips and the fresh flour tortillas from Los Galanes though.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm... I live one block south of Vernor, so I eat a LOT of Mexican. But my only experience at Armando's was pretty bad. Best part of the trip was all the 1980s Tigers autographs in the lobby. Maybe I caught the cooks on a bad night.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I experienced Armando's this past weekend for the first time. It was okay. Not as good as Mi pueblo or Mexican Village. I had the Chicken Milanesa(sp) which would have been pretty good had all my cheese not stuck to the foil used to top the plate.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually although I like Armando's salsa best I prefer the actual food at Los Galanes. Sadly they recently stopped offering their dinner buffet.

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the salsa at Los Galanes (in addition to the food). Just the right amount of spice.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best store bought Salsa I have tasted is Garden Fresh Gourmet (Jacks) and their Tortilla Chips are great too.
Also, they are based right here in Michigan, in Ferndale, and are getting ready to go national... keep an eye on them.

You can find them in most all of the local grocery stores around here (including Meijer, Westborne, Kroger, and Trader Joes to name a few).

I also 'heard' that they were getting ready to sign a deal with Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville restaurants...

(Message edited by motorcitydave on March 18, 2008)

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 367
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever since I read this thread I've been planning on going to Honeybee and finally did this past saturday. I found the homemade salsa and eventually the mexican made coke in the bottles. They both were great! I'm thinking their salsa is re-labeled Garden fresh, it tasted damn close. The coke just tasted better probably due to the glass bottle. I wanted to buy a case but couldn't justify $24 for a case. Picked up a couple other things and left. I was expecting an older place but was surprised at the new building. I see there used to be an older place up front. Thanks for the tip! I will go back.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black tar heroin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B lack_tar_heroin

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coke tasted better because its made with real sugar, and the glass bottle.

Larjmarj
Username: Larjmarj

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had the Honeybee chips they ARE outstanding! I haven't tried the salsa though.

Coke is better in glass bottles, my grandma used to always have the little 6oz bottles at her house when I was a kid. Fond memories.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.