Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » House on UM football grounds? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why was there a house on the U of Michigan football stadium? Went up there once when I was a kid with some of my friends and they gave us permission to play football on the field.

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A house ON the stadium? Holy crap! Not sure how that would work...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What?

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it a BIG house?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The House that Yost Built?

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What year?

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah there was a house. It was when Main St. was a 2-lane road. You can see it in the lower left-hand corner of this picture.

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/h istory/1927_bw_blockM.jpg

I think the family that lived there helped in stadium upkeep. I read somewhere that the family would occasionally get knocks on their door from people who were locked inside the stadium and couldn't get out.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 979
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

an outhouse?

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ready for Spartan fans to complain about not talking about homes around Spartan Stadium/Macklin Field

Gpcharles
Username: Gpcharles

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The house was there until the late 1970s. I graduated in 1975 and I remember sneaking in to the 1975 Ohio State game through a hole in the fence just in front of the house.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 980
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually this spartan fan will let you guys drool over Michigan Stadium all you want. It is a historic facility, yes. But it is cramped (avg seat is 13 inches wide), has poor sight lines, and has poor restroom facilities.

I'm not here to make this a green vs. blue thing, but I just dont like the facility. I am not going to hijack this thread, but when I am called out, I will reply.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3927
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Q: Do you plan to widen seats? How much wider will they be?

Almost all seats in the bowl will be widened to some degree. Ticketholders will gain between a quarter of an inch and just over an inch in each seat, depending on where they sit. Seats along the sideline areas will gain the most width because of the shape of the bowl. When the project is completed, seat widths will range from just over 16 inches in the student section to just under 18 inches along the sidelines near the top of the bowl.

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/f aq/

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2756
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta accomodate the widening asses of America!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 981
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before the stadium was built was that area part of the surrounding neighborhood or was it an open space? I find the athletic facilities in Ann Arbor very interesting...especially Yost Arena, being within 100 feet or so of residential areas. I love the way these places just appear out of nowhere!

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess that the house was built before the stadium. Maybe the land was owned by the family who lived in the house and they sold all but their small parcel of land to UM to build the stadium. Eventually UM probably bought the house and razed it. Again this is all speculation...

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that house, a little 2 story home inside the fence. I know it was being lived in by somebody in the 70's. I always assumed the people who maintained the stadium lived their.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.