Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Wildflower Honey -- Made in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bucket
Username: Bucket

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just discovered a new made in Detroit product that I'd like to share with the forum: Brother Rick's Earthworks Honey. It's a wildflower honey sold by the jar, produced by the Franciscans and volunteers at the Earthwork's garden next to the St. Bonaventure complex. I bought a jar at the St. Bonaventure gift shop and I can tell you it blows away the clover honey found on most grocery store shelves, though it's more expensive at $7.95 for a 9 oz. jar.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11671
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Union Bees.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too funny Gannon! Nice seeing you, even if just briefly the other night!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7678
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bucket,
I've been buying my wildflower honey from the guy at Eastern Market for a while now, but I'll give Brother Rick's a try, for several reasons, that relate to the fabulous contributions St Bonaventure and the Capuchins have provided to this City.

And you're right, clover honey is like Budweiser or White Zinfandel, it's ok, but there are so many other flavors to experience and enjoy.

(Message edited by jams on February 24, 2008)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They might be union bees, but they make a better product!

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 832
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another fine Detroit honey is from green toe gardens. They sell a Wild Detroit Honey and 8 Mile honey among other Michigan themed honeys. Very good as well!

Gannon

Post Number: 11674
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm excited by all this bee development...we'll be keeping them at the Spirit of Hope community garden, too.

There is also a beekeeping group out of Royal Oak...I found their honey at Hirts last year...Green Toe Nurseries.

Thanks for the catch, Magnasco, Bucket may not know my unusual sense of humor.

Um...that was morning when you saw me...I know that's odd. We've got some catching up to do!

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 833
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Gannon!

Gannon

Post Number: 11675
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, we were posting at the same time, I think I only paused to find that link!

At least you got their name correct...heh.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4558
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a great article on urban bee keeping in the MetroTimes by Cyan James a while back. http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=11770

Rich Wieske, who is featured in that article and of the green toe gardens mention above, is a great energetic spirit. I met him at last New Year's eve party. He brought along some of his excellent mead.

Gannon

Post Number: 11680
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is just such a sad, tragic story of his daughter's death just when they were starting their project...to turn that into this positive motion and continue the momentum shows a great depth of character, too.

They have a strong focus on teaching others to keep bees, kudos to Mr. Wieske and Green Toe Gardens.

Maybe some good karma that's kept our Michigan bees from suffering the same losses as so many other states in the union...at least I've heard from the Bee Dude in the Market that they haven't had any 'empty hive syndrome' in his area.

I just looked, I've gone through about four gallons of the stuff since I moved into the loft, just over two years ago! (two teaspoons each day, one for the espresso, one to take the edge off the plain yoghurt)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.