Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Suzanne Wangler « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This woman's life obviously unravelled horribly--criminal allegations aside, her death is tragic--remember her well for her airborne stint at WDIV. Gargiola handled the story respectfully on the 11pm news--FOX2 covered it a little more agressively--nothing that I noted from WXYZ. Anyone watch any of WXYZ recent "Investigators" reports on the Wangler Imbezzlement case? Though noteworthy I found the newsworthyness of the "Investigation" suspect--now it seems the entire thing has taken a sad, tragic turn. Thoughts?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3571
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Your post was the first I read of her death (didn't watch any news tonight). WXYZ doesn't even have anything about it on their website, though the video about her arrest still is. Her death is the top story on WDIV's site.

From the get-go I felt WXYZ's coverage seemed excessive and was played as an 'in your face' toward WDIV.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7168
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone found out how and why she left WDIV?

I'm not so sure if any of the other stations meant to rub WDIV's nose into it considering she was a former employee there. News reporters are pseudo celebrities to begin with. Heck, look at Bill Bonds and all of the ruckus he caused back in the day. And just recently Andrea Isom was busted for drunk driving. It's news, very sad news but news nonetheless.

14andhayes
Username: 14andhayes

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall correctly, Suzanne Wangler worked at Channels 4, 7, and 50 as a street reporter. I also believe she and her husband, former Michigan QB John Wangler, got divorced around the time Suzanne left Channel 4 in 2000.

She leaves behind 4 kids between the ages of about 11 to 16. What a damn shame.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080223/M ETRO/802230437/1409/METRO

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm actually fairly quick to defend the journalistic intentions of most stations/reporters, but I was uncomfortable with the way WXYZ covered this story from the get-go. It fell under their "Investigators" brand--I don't see a fit on that at all--it wasn't a consumer affairs related story, nor a story relating to the misuse of public money or office. It was basically a financial issue between two people that was ultimately going to be dealt with in criminal courts. Wangler had been gone from the local TV market for nearly 7 years--if anything it warranted as much attention as her arrest a couple of years ago for alleged shoplifting--a brief mention or sidebar article. Nonetheless, it is February and something has to keep Catallo and Sayeh busy will Steve Wilson plays I Love You/I Hate You with Kwame.

Who knows what was going on in this woman's life--but clearly she was out-of-control and got to the point where she snapped...a sad end.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh cry me a river... The big bad media didn't kill her. Did it ever occur to you that she may have been a nut and a criminal and she decided to off herself because she couldn't deal with the consequences of her actions?

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 262
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not the point Shark. Yes, she was ultimately responsible for the direction her life took--but the story that ran on WXYZ was barely news--and didn't warrant the treatment it received. I think it's notable that WXYZ isn't touching the story--even though every other print and television outlet in the city has it near the top of their local coverage. I'm not going to pass judgement beyond what we already know--but there are four kids out there without a mother--that's the real tragedy.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 618
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were the kids living with her?

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This story really made me sad. Don't know what to think about the allegations; whether they're true, just sad that her life ended this way and sad for the kids.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met her in 1979 when she was just a teen-ager. She was an acquaintance, and at the time, she was dating a guy that I went to high school with. The word was that she was a heroin user. I saw her again in 1997, at a restaurant in Royal Oak. We discussed my high school friend and that was that. I had no idea of her background, or of anything that she did or was. I only knew her as what she was doing when I met her. She was a waitress at a night club in Madison Heights. I didn't realize that she was so young. I feel very bad for her and for her family. May God bless them.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on February 24, 2008)

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 369
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She liked Haribo licorice. I worked at Merchant Of Vino in the mid-90's and we had to special order one of the flavors for her.

Rjk

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forget his name, but did WXYZ do an investigative piece on that deluxe pervert turned Jesus lover that was working at their station? They say there's nothing worse than an ex-smoker, but to me there's nothing worse than an ex-deluxe pervert tell regular perverts that they're sinners.

They've since removed that investigative piece from their site, but that was way over the top. I don't even think it's a story at all, let alone something deserving of a four to five minute segment. They were just piling on by showing her stumbling around drunk.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be Frank Turner Rjk. They went down the path a few times with Bill Bonds also. I don't recall an investigative piece--he went on long-term leave and returned reborn. His departure was the result of a contractural dispute which he said prevented him from spreading the good word via other media outlets.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a non-strung out photo of her?

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

susanne wangler

Rjk

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/15391077/detail.html

At least WDIV showed a nice picture of her accompanying the story about her death.

I guess it's to WXYZ's advantage to continue to paint her as a monster.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=38ee9e6b-11a8 -4253-901b-e17df2e46260

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WXYZ sucks , their morning news puts me to sleep. fox 2 rules!

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damned shame

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5366
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't watch TV and know virtually nothing about the so-called news personalities/celebrities. So, I have no emotional attachment to any of those celebs.

How was she burning up all her money? The median pay for a TV reporter is $33,000 and an anchor pulls in a median pay of $64,000. And the hours are short, with no heavy lifting.

She stole some $150,000 and lives alone with no phone in a foreclosed house without heat. You cannot drink through that kind of bread. So, it would appear that illegal drugs or gambling would be the two most likely.

In any event, somebody knows. Plenty of people knew. Stealing $600 at a grocery two years ago was about 2 1/2 to 5 days pay, depending upon what job she held back then. And $600 buys a helluva lot of food. She was spending her money faster than she made it, and she wasn't income-poor.

Glad I don't live any of those lifestyles.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7177
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still kind of shocked at the $600 grocery tab she swiped out of Westborn Market. yeah I know some of those groceries in there are a little on the high end, but $600 worth? Was it mainly the expensive wines or what? I have a heckuva time loading up more than $200 worth of groceries into my car (not that I do it that often!).

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 386
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if you have ever dealt with Royal Oak....or even Berkley for that matter,but, you don't want to get in trouble there. And, the coverage that you will get in The Oakland Press or the Daily Tribune is always twisted to make it seem something other than it is. Fox 2 is the same way. I have been down that road. I am not going to elaborate, but my intention was one thing, and they tried to make it seem like another. I was made to look like a freak. I lost friends because of how they made me look. I should have sued.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on February 25, 2008)

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, we all make mistakes when we are young. Just look at yourselves and tell me that you have nothing to hide. We all have something to hide. This girl came a long way. She was a member of Shrine of the Little Flower. She had a husband that she loved. Everything was going wonderful. Then she lost it all. I feel so terrible for her. Poor honey.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public figure or not- Anyone who posts info, rumors or opinions on her should keep one thing in mind- A Google search of her name will show many 'hits' of course. But among those hits' will be links to this forum and threads. Which her children, their classmates, other family and friends might read.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her ex-husband talks ...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080228/M ETRO/802280361

Rjk

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"She later moved into a $1 million home on Vinsetta Boulevard in Royal Oak, a few doors down from her ex-husband's home, but she quickly fell behind in payments and the house went into foreclosure."

She clearly was setting herself up for failure when she purchased that house. That place has to be close to 6,000 square feet.

I feel terrible for her children. It has to be tough living right down the street from that house if in fact John Wangler still lives in the area.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? Ive never known of a million-dollar-house in that neighborhood---or Royal Oak at all for that matter.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4025
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a very large, recently-built house -- probably the only new one on that street. Most of the others on that stretch of Vinsetta are a bit smaller and of '20s vintage.

That said, it probably wouldn't bring $1 million in today's market (although it may have cost that much to build).

(Message edited by Fury13 on February 28, 2008)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4026
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Royal Oak does have a few high-dollar homes, mostly on Hendrie, on Vinsetta, and in various other locations close to downtown.

Most of the upper-end homes in Royal Oak would be in the $500K to $800K range.

Rjk

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That house really sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't fit in with the rest of the homes near by. I don't think it's more than 4 or 5 years old.

I don't imagine the neighbors were thrilled when it went up.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a retraction and an apology for my post of 2/24/08. After talking to Mike Martindale this girl that I knew in 1979 is NOT Susan Wangler. I apologize to anyone that I may have hurt or confused at this time. Sometimes you wish that you could just rip your tongue out, or, in this case, cut off my fingers. This is my promise to be more careful in the future. And, please don't yell at me. I have been yelling at myself and don't need any more help.

Thanks

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag, you will hear no yelling from me. It takes courage to retract and apologize when you realize you were incorrect about something. Thanks.

No offense, but the recollection seemed a bit murky anyway so I didn't pay it much attention. And besides... I see all of these wierd personal details/stories about her nothing less than morbidly curious and creepy.

Let her family & friends move on. She was obviously facing some intense personal demons.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, and I feel like a total jerk.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry if you misinterpreted, but my comments were directed at the other comments, not just yours.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 395
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still feel like a total jerk....and it's not your fault....it is mine.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.