Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » I-75 closure « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is planning to use Fort between Clark and Rosa Parks, be careful, its a speed trap.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sure? I think those are just Border Patrol state troopers. The only people I ever see pulled over by them on that stretch are truckers.

Downriviera

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a ticket there from a Wayne County Sheriff, saw another car pulled over as I left by a Detroit cop. I think they must be lick'in there chops for this closure.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is planning on picking up a prostitute on Mack between between Mt. Elliott and Van Dyke, be careful - lot's of decoys...

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2971
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know a faster way to get to I-94 westbound without having to use the I-75/I-94 intersection? Southbound I-75 to the I-96 intersection to I-94 West was such a blessing for me.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From where?

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a rather novel idea that will also help you avoid a ticket: slow down.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2972
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I didn't clarify myself. From Downtown Detroit.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodge to 94.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or if, at your time of day, the Lodge is too congested, take Grand River to 94 which puts you on 94 right about where the 94-96 interchange is.

I think Grand River moves pretty well most of the day.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5310
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan to 96. Michigan Avenue is a ghost street in that part of town.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Grand River Avenue is a pretty awesome way out of town -- if you can handle doing 35 all the way. Personally, I'd much rather do 35 all the way, stopping for reds, than do zero-to-10-to-20-to-zero over and over.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5311
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, how does Scott get to Las Brisas? 49?

Professorscott

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn straight! That's a fave, also El Comal. Lots of good eats on that line.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you who don't know what LY meant by "49", he meant this:

http://www.detroitmi.gov/ddot/ pdf/49Vernor.pdf

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5312
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the brand new produce store next to the Family $. Sometimes, they sell cabbage for 15 cents/pound or have 99-cent pineapples or pork roast for 79 to 89 cents/pound. Grab one of their two-week flyers there.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if Jefferson is still closed in SW Detroit? I hate taking Fort St! This freeway closure sucks!

Chico
Username: Chico

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will not be able to access I-94 West from Lodge North. Because of the added traffic on 94, my understanding is that MDOT will close the North Lodge to 94 West ramp because it is a left-sided entrance onto 94.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

duplicate post

(Message edited by gravitymachine on February 22, 2008)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does anyone know if Jefferson is still closed in SW Detroit? I hate taking Fort St! This freeway closure sucks!

as a through street between clark and rosa parks, yeah, still closed.

i live on one side of 75 in mexicantown, and my girlfriend in the other side of mexicantown, with all the traffic that's going to be funneled onto vernor and fort, this is going to get complicated :-)

Professorscott

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks LY, I'll check it out next time I'm on that line. The grocery store in east Mexicantown, across from Mexican Village, did a big expansion a year or two ago and that's very nice as well.

Gravity, only locals will use Vernor. I doubt you'll see much additional traffic on that street. Fort is going to get it in the shorts, I think.

Chico, I know MDOT is closing SB Lodge to EB 94 for that reason, so what you said makes sense. I hadn't been aware of it but now that you mention it I believe that's probably right.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6341
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chico and Professorscott, thanks for that tidbit on the Westbound I-94 exit from the Lodge.

But it sounds kind of odd... it almost sounds like "we don't want to inconvenience the I-94 folks with the closure of I-75 (Fisher), so we'll make them detour to the surface streets".

I mean, with the current closure of the Southbound I-75 (Chrysler) exit from westbound I-94, folks are free to take the (left exit) southbound Lodge as a detour.

What makes one "left exit" OK to use, while another will be verboten?

Am I missing something here traffic wise?

Professorscott

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only know what MDOT is doing. "Why" is beyond conjecture.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm coming from Lincoln Park. I normally access 75 north via Dix and go to Lodge northbound to get to work. I need to get to the Lodge Northbound...Livernois exit eventually. Can I take Fort street to the Northbound Lodge or 75 to Livernois to Fort and then access the Lodge northbound?

I know I can take Livernois from 75 and drive that all the way to work, but that seems like it would take too long. I am just not sure if Fort intersects Lodge north and need to know before Monday morning.

Can someone help me out here?

Downriviera

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bout Dix to Southfield, west about 3 miles to 94, then 94 to the Lodge.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is not any ramp from Fort Street to the Lodge. However, you could turn from Fort onto the Lodge Service Drive northbound (just past 5th), drive on the service drive for about three blocks and then there's a ramp.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'course, the best route depends on where you work. Lodge and what?

Tammypio

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodge and Livernois...I work on 6 and Livernois. The service drive to the Lodge sounds like it might work! Thanks all!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5316
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammypio: If you work at 6 & Livernois, Scott wouldn't be of any help to you at all, as he's totally ignorant of that part of Detroit. Sorry...

Professorscott

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cute, LY. Dino at U of D Coney puts the food in front of me when I walk in; I don't even order.

Lincoln Park to the U of D area, I'm not sure I'd go downtown at all. I'll have to think about that. Problem is, Southfield Freeway is out of your way to the west.

Let's try this. I'll drive it next week and see how it goes. Take 75 north to the Schaefer exit and go north on Schaefer, just past the Ford Rouge plant take the ramp to Rotunda, right on Rotunda a short distance to I-94 east to the Lodge.

I think that will work better than anything taking you into downtown on Fort Street. Everybody is going to be using Fort.

Tammy, are you a U of D Mercy peep? People claim I spend some time there myself :-)

Professorscott

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, LY, note that I am trying to be nice to motorists - I have not suggested to Tammy that she take the 19 to the 30, which is what I would do in that situation.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5321
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS: After you stumble out of the Livernois bus in your characteristic manner at Vernor, check out the produce market there. They seem to deeply discount some loss-leaders. There's so many groceries near there that they got to attract customers into their store.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 23, 2008)

Professorscott

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I object; I do not "stumble". I used to; not anymore. I look forward to checking out the market.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Point of interest, D.D.O.T. will be running the H.O.V. lane run next week, Feb 25th to Feb 29th, for free, 6-9 A.M.(inbound), 3-6 P.M.(Outbound). It might be a good alternative, and this would be the time to check it out.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For folks looking to connect with I-94 from I-75 & vice-versa, the Southfield Expressway/Southfield Road Detour is relatively painless.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CLOSING! CLOSING! CLOSING! How am I going to get to X-i-milco?

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turns out the HOV lane is not enforcible. The State Police have decided it is not backed up by state law. They can't write tickets for not honoring it. Today's Free Press had a story to this effect.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 798
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still don't understand the exact impact on 75 north and 96 west. I get on I-75 from E. Jefferson then immediately turn onto 75 south, then drive it for a couple of miles and get onto 96 west. Coming home, I drive 96 east to whatever it's called to downtown, ending up in front of the RenCen. I'm wondering wow this closure will affect me, I can't figure it out just yet.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I still don't understand the exact impact on 75 north and 96 west. I get on I-75 from E. Jefferson then immediately turn onto 75 south, then drive it for a couple of miles and get onto 96 west. Coming home, I drive 96 east to whatever it's called to downtown, ending up in front of the RenCen. I'm wondering wow this closure will affect me, I can't figure it out just yet."

The freeway's completely closed. You'll just have to find another route.

Here are some suggested routes:

*I-75 to I-94 to I-96

*M-10 to I-94 to I-96

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 23, 2008)

Tammypio

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks ProfessorScott. No, I'm actually a teacher at that wonderful Catholic school across the street from UDM. I work with a lot of UDM students tho...a fine institution!

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 800
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The freeway's completely closed. You'll just have to find another route.

Here are some suggested routes:

*I-75 to I-94 to I-96

*M-10 to I-94 to I-96

Can you be a little more specific? How exactly do I get from E. Jefferson to 96 west? Is 75 north also closed at E. Jefferson? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm really not good with the local freeways, and I'm already dreading my drive to work tomorrow.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2990
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto Butterfly, I am in the same predicament. I use I-75 south to reach I-96 West. I do not want to take I-75 North to I-94 West.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can you be a little more specific? How exactly do I get from E. Jefferson to 96 west? Is 75 north also closed at E. Jefferson? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm really not good with the local freeways, and I'm already dreading my drive to work tomorrow."

*From Jefferson, take I-375 north to I75 Chrysler (just keep straight to the Chrsyler towards Mack, don't take your usual exit), then take I-75 north to I-94 West. Then take I-94 West To I-96 West.

OR

*From Jefferson, take it through downtown and enter onto M-10 The Lodge (going under COBO) and take it to I-94 West, then take I-94 west to I-96 west.

If you need more routes, let me know :-)

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 24, 2008)

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 801
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Detroitrise, I will try the 75 north route tomorrow morning.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,

You cannot take the Lodge North out of downtown and left exit onto westbound I-94. MDOT has closed this exit. I drove the Lodge out of downtown this morning and saw the I-94 West exit closure. Had to call my fiancee` to make sure she took the I-375 north to I-75 Chrysler to I-94 West route on her way out to Northville. Of course, there are all those bridge repairs and lane closures on this route.

The other primary options for getting to I-96 from downtown are to take Grand River or Michigan out of downtown to hook up with westbound I-96. I guess you could take the Lodge up to Davison and cross over to I-96.

Anybody know if you can get on I-96 westbound @ MLK?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag: from where?

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 802
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI - at this point, I-375 to I-75 south to 96 west is still open, although with reduced lanes, I drove it this morning. But it doesn't look like for much longer. Or maybe they will close it only when they have progressed enough in the construction work to reach this stretch (or maybe this is wishful thinking on my part)

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to say what's going to stay open at this point; in the staging diagrams from MDOT those ramps should already be closed until January 2009, but then they've already deviated quite a bit from their published staging plan so who knows?

My guess is they'll probably stay open at least until sometime later this summer, when they are supposed to close that last mile or so of I-96 for 90 days to rebuild it too.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You cannot take the Lodge North out of downtown and left exit onto westbound I-94. MDOT has closed this exit."

I didn't discover that until this morning.

Yeah, apparently, they closed it to prevent traffic overflow from I-75.

"The other primary options for getting to I-96 from downtown are to take Grand River or Michigan out of downtown to hook up with westbound I-96. I guess you could take the Lodge up to Davison and cross over to I-96."

those are good suggestions too :-)

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I just got home from work and drove along the service drive to see how it was going. I used come home via I-96 to I-75S to the exit at Clark (I live on Scotten, north of Vernor) and i must say the new Vernor Hwy exit from I-96 is quite convenient. Anyway looks like they're not wasting any time tearing up the freeway...at least part of the asphalt overlay is already stripped off and the medians torn out.

In case it isn't obvious the road geek in me is, well, REALLY geeked about this project. I've got progress photos from every 1-2 weeks in the summer and fall, and a few from winter, including some I took yesterday as I walked up and down the new service drive before they opened it. Since they're working so fast now I'm going to have to try to get down there this week for more photos. I just wish it wasn't still getting dark so early.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funaho,

Being a road geek on this board won't win you too many friends. Lots of mass transit or bust types here.

I do think this project will be a real asset to SW detroit when it is finished. Hopefully, the pedestrian bridge will accomplish the goal of connecting the two Mexicantown communities. Connecting the Mercado and Welcome Center with the Bagley restaurants should further the development of this thriving Detroit region.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.