Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit ranked most misrable city, Top Headline on MSN « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://realestate.msn.com/Buyi ng/Article_forbes.aspx?cp-docu mentid=6171960&GT1=10932

:-(

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, NYC and Philly is 4th and 5th :-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5303
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least, the second thread on this already...

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is this old forbes miserable rankings article just going to pop up on every media outlet randomly throughout the year? The original story from forbes is almost a month old. Subsequently, the article has been posted on this site five times, and has been featured on yahoo, msn, obviously forbes, and im sure many others. Which site will it be on next?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 453
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a damn shame you cant live safely where you would like. Hope something happens to turn it around. I would love to come home to live, but do I really want to go through what I went through before? As much as I love and miss detroit, I could never put myself through it again! :-(

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont you love it!
What a great way to open your internet home page!
...old news

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just a damn shame you cant live safely where you would like. Hope something happens to turn it around. I would love to come home to live, but do I really want to go through what I went through before? As much as I love and miss detroit, I could never put myself through it again! :-(

Okay, okay, we get it!

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Lheartted, I didnt mean anything bad by that statement. I just stay so home sick and stories like this just piss me off, and I know they do you guys. Man I wish there was something we could all do.

I do sincerly appologize. I didnt mean it in a bad way. Dont worry, it gets beat over my head every time I tell where Im from too. I STAND UP as much as I can and try not to be negative when I do get the chance to discuss home. Sorry if you took it wrong, I certainly didnt mean it that way. Also didnt know this was an old article.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 623
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be a crybaby.
I'm sure that there are plenty of people on here who were miserable after they came home to a robbed house in Detroit.
How many have been robbed at gun point?
That can make you pretty miserable and nothing to be ashamed about.
If you live in an urban area, it comes with the territory. Just don't complain when people leave Detroit because they don't want to put up with it.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This study assumes that happiness and misery are correlated with some very focused factors like commute and taxes.

There is no proof that taxes correlates to happiness. In fact, a ranking of the most happy countries puts Denmark at the top. Denmark also has one of the highest income tax rates. So if Forbes were to make any correlation with happiness and taxes, one would assume that high taxes leads to happiness. I suspect that there is no correlation in any direction but Forbes took the liberty of making such a false correlation for us.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit, NYC, Philly all in the Top 5....sounds fairly prestigious to me, I'll take it.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Detroit is a wonderful place to live and its a beautiful City, and thats thats.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember just a few months ago when the NY Times rated Detroit as one of the best places to visit?

Which is it, media? Who are your puppets today?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember just a few months ago when the NY Times rated Detroit as one of the best places to visit?

Which is it, media? Who are your puppets today?

As Chuckles noted, Philly and NYC also are in the top five. The list is not a "this place sucks" list. It's a list of the places that are miserable to live. My guess? Suburbanites' time spent commuting and being stuck in traffic jams helped. Remember, just like suburbanites, many news media outlets consider Detroit to include more than the city.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well shoot, we wanted to be in the same bracket at NYC, Philly, and Chicago. Well now we're leading the pack!

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I emailed this to some people on Friday:
quote:

Just for fun...There has been a lot of discussion about this article in class:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/ 29/detroit-stockton-flint-biz- cz_kb_0130miserable.html

I looked into who they chose, and it to me appears that their criteria considers
large areas to be "more miserable."

There bottom (top?) ten with their corresponding national metro area population rank
are:

Detroit – 10
Stockton – 75
Flint – 10
New York – 1
Philly – 5
Chicago – 3
LA – 2
Modesto – 98
Charlotte – 37
Providence – 35

*Note that Detroit and Flint are in the same CMSA.

5 of the top 10 (by size) metro areas appear on this list. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T able_of_United_States_Metropol itan_Statistical_Areas) The universe that Forbes started with was the top 150 metro areas in size.

It seams to me that criteria like commute times and tax rates are likely to pick larger areas, despite the importance of these same concentrations of people to our national economy. The other 5 of the top 10 (by size) that aren't in the list are:

Dallas-Fort Worth
Houston
Miami
Washington
Atlanta

These are all in the south, making me believe that the "weather" criteria favors heat, drought, and hurricanes over snow. Personally, I'd prefer snow...It's more sustainable.

*A quick note about Washington. There isn't as strong of a history of industry in Washington; therefore there are few superfund sites. This may explain why Washington isn't in the bottom (top?) 10 despite commute times, crime, and taxes.

Another strange thing:

-The weather indexes for Detroit and Flint are 95 and 123, respectively, even though they have the same weather and are technically in the same CMSA. This inexplainable difference happens to be the difference between #1 and #4 on this list (overall
score). It is also more than the difference between #6 and #10.

In short, this list is meaningless, if I were into conspiracy theories, this is what I would think:

-It was created by anti tax or anti union ideologues in an effort to "prove" their way is better.

-Or, it was created in an effort to further real estate booms in sunbelt areas, by making the "rust belt" look worse.

But I'm not into conspiracy theories...

I thought is was relevant...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7154
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone is making Detroit and other U.S. Cities miserable because of the too much black presence in its neighborhoods. It's people's way of oppressing the black race once they fully populate any city or community.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

It's our leaders in Lansing and yes I can mention name's. They must be voted OUT and some of them are black. The one's who are black are oreo's. They are white on the inside because they represent wealth and NOT the common working black church going family struggling to raise children and teach good values.

I truly believe we can make Detroit a World class city again but only if we vote in good moral leaders in Lansing first because only then will the working class black family have a chance to live in Detroit and have a level playing field with the whites outside of Wayne County and the city of Detroit. Check out my updated website and debate me on television or get our leaders to do this. You see Danny, these people know who they are and they do not want your vote because the wealthy people they represent just do not care about Detroit. So, get them outed.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 711
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit also ranked the worst city for women and the worst to raise kids.
At least NYC and Philly have pockets and options of "great" (if you have money...Detroit has nothing even if your loaded.

If you were a multi millionair and were forced to live in the city where would you live? Kids and school?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you were a multi millionair and were forced to live in the city where would you live? Kids and school?

It's hard to imagine a scenario where a multi-millionaire would be "forced" to live anywhere. That said, there are multi-millionaires who do choose to live in the city.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 712
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2761
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the secret multi-millionaire neighborhood.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 662
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe downtown where you have tight security.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Or maybe Palmer Woods.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.