Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Sheridan court murder. « Previous Next »
Murder On Cass CorridorLadyinabag02-28-08  7:05 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the manager of the sheridan court was stabbed + killed in her room today- her dog was stabbed but survived. according to the news, the police are looking for her ex-boyfriend. i used to live around the corner from there and this apartment building never seemed as bad as its reputation. i guess this manager had been on the job for just a couple months. between the this murder and the forest arms fire, it has not been a good year so far for the north cass neighborhood. sad news.

(a resident of this building was also killed there last year)

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Jeez!
I lived in that building once.
It was a challenge to say the least.
Bad vibes throughout.
Very sad.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be interesting if it was the boyfriend. I saw a friend of the woman on the news talking about how bad the neighborhood was, seeming to suggest that she knew something like this was going to happen to her at this job.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More on this tragedy:

http://macombdaily.com/stories /022508/loc_local01.shtml

http://macombdaily.com/stories /022508/obi_obits05.shtml

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It would be interesting if it was the boyfriend. I saw a friend of the woman on the news talking about how bad the neighborhood was, seeming to suggest that she knew something like this was going to happen to her at this job.

considering how many shady people routinely hang out in front of that place at all hours of the day, i'm sure the police have plenty of suspects to choose from. wasn't there a murder there last year or the year before too?

Sandyrabbit
Username: Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this really put a chill up my spine in many regards. i have been in this neighborhood for nearly 15 years , and i honestly do believe this is the worst i have ever seen it. its heart wrenching. my heart goes out to this family.

i myself am a young woman who manages an apt building in the area. actually further away from campus, i am very strict with whom i choose to rent to, got cameras installed throughout the building. luckily my boss is supportive of this and wants his tenants safe. so far so good its been 6 years.

anyways i had to evict a couple of tenants of couple of years ago for not paying rent due to heroin use. they moved to sheridon courts. they were both murdered. he was murdered somewhere else. the man took his keys went back to the apartment and walked in on his lady..jan, he stabbed her to death in her sleep. along with with stabbing a witness in throat who survived the attack. he got away but was identified. to my knowledge this man was never caught. i went to police with this information. but they did not interested. they said the bf was the suspect.

i missed the news today. and heard that there was an update in the case. has anyone heard anything?

i keep wondering if i met her.
if i didnt i'm sorry for that.
i remember when i first moved here..i was 18. and i will never forget the words an 80 year old woman told me. she said sandy,
you be careful out there, you could be walking next to someone one second, and suddenly they could just push you in front of a moving car. this has never left my mind. i love my city, there are some of the most awsome people i have ever met in my life, but am constantly saddened by its current state of affairs.

:-(

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandyrabbit-the murder suspect from a couple of years ago was killed during a robbery attempt somewhere down south about 6 months after the murder. My understanding is there murder was not random, they owed him money for drugs. At the time of the murder if I remember correctly the suspect was wanted on several felony warrants including arson.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it was her boyfriend. That there was no theft lends weight to the theory.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole boyfriend thing appears to be newspaper speculation. I heard from a cop that they don't know.

Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rick got murdered? sweet, hate to say this, but he really was god awful. and yes larry owed him money. wow. crazy thing? i asked the cop to look up larry's name. doesn;t even say he's dead. strange part of living here, is you find out things before even the police. i heard they found him in a manhole. unnamed man. but it was larry. thanks ever so much for the info, i am at ease because that cat knew where i lived. and i had him on video he was smoking reefer in the hallway. anyways. thanks to all others that answered. i was completely over assuming. hate to think that this type of abuse still exists. a woman finally gets her life together, and bam. a real shame. i wish everyone safety
thanks again.

sandy

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting side bar to this story. A family member asked me about this murder after a co-worker of theirs saw the story on Fox 2. No forced entry, multiple stabbings, police looking for the boyfriend. These are all tell-tale signs of a crime of passion, which usually means some sort of domestic violence.

I was ready to move on when I saw and recognized a picture of the victim. One evening about a month earlier while walking through Canfield's historic block I came across a couple walking a dog. I stopped, petted the dog (it looked like a smallish husky) and struck up a conversation with them. The woman (whom I'm pretty certain is the victim here) was quite affable. We had a nice but short conversation about how beautiful the neighborhood is and how happy she was to be the new manager for the apartment building on the corner. The man she was with (I assumed it was her boyfriend) stayed about 10 feet away at all times giving me the evil eye. He definitely did not seem happy that she was speaking to me and never said a word. He just glared. Anyways, we parted ways after a few minutes and went about our own business.

When I saw the news report, I called DPD homicide to tell them my story. I didn't know if it was relevant or not but I thought it would be better if I spoke up and let them decide. The desk sergeant said not to worry because they knew who did it. I asked if I should just tell him what I saw or leave my information just in case. He said, and I quote, "Without giving up too much information that could compromise the case, if we didn't know who did it and didn't have them in custody I would be writing down every word you're saying."

That was enough for me. I feel safe thinking that this was a routine domestic homicide and not some Jack the Ripper-type serial killer. If I am wrong in assuming this I want to know, but I don't think I am.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandyrabbit, I might like to look into living in your building. What's the best way to get a hold of you?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2956
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The alleged killer has been in custody since the day after the murder. He is to be arraigned today on murder charges.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2008802280374

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God they caught this guy. I hate it when these types are at large.

Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

higherthanu2000@yahoo.com hope you are well...

Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you ndavies, long story about that day has actually proved to be a coincidence that day, long story, but thank you so much for easing my spirit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.