Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Marshall Fredericks Museum in Saginaw « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to make a "pilgrimage" to see my favorite sculptor's work:

http://www.svsu.edu/mfsm/

Has anyone been up to that museum? I know it'll be worth the trip but I was curious to hear from people who had been. And what is your favorite Fredericks? I post one classic, and one of my personal favorites:

Marshall

Gazelle

(Message edited by rel on February 20, 2008)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2779
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've been there a couple of times and have enjoyed it immensely! During this past year, they have added a re-creation of Marshall Frederick's studio (the interior of the building that once stood in all its forested beauty at Woodward and Normandy in Royal Oak). We highly recommend a visit to see this treasure!!

I'll take this opportunity to mention the
100th Birth Date and 20th Anniversary Celebration. A celebratory evening honoring Marshall Fredericks’ life and artistic legacy, and the 20th anniversary of the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum, Saginaw Valley State University, 6:00 to 9:00 p.m., May 9, 2008. Tickets are $150 per person, which may be ordered by calling (989) 964-7082.

In addition to the work of Marshall Fredericks'...they recognize the works of other sculptors too:

Street Sense: Celebrating 20 Years of The Heidelberg Project, Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum, through May 24, 2008. This special exhibition documents and commemorates the 20-year history of the provocative and internationally recognized neighborhood art project known as The Heidelberg Project, created by Detroit artist Tyree Guyton. Included in the show are his preliminary sketches for Heidelberg installations, historical and contemporary photographs of the project, works of art by Guyton which reflect the free-spirited energy of The Heidelberg Project, and sculptural works from the Project itself, on special temporary loan for this exhibition. The Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum is located on the campus of Saginaw Valley State University.
http://www.svsu.edu/mfsm/tempe xhibitions.cfm?doc_id=5689

and related program:
“The Heidelberg Project,” Monday, March 24, 2008, 7pm. Artist Tyree Guyton and Heidelberg Project Director Jenenne Whitfield present The Heidelberg Project, the perspectives of the artist, and the project’s implications for understanding the role of art in society. A question-and-answer session will follow. The Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum is located on the campus of Saginaw Valley State University.
http://www.svsu.edu/mfsm/index .cfm?doc_id=5377

Kathleen

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to choose which is my favorite Marshall Fredericks sculpture!

The Spirit of Detroit is an obvious one.

The Lion and the Mouse at Eastland certainly was a childhood favorite. As young kids, we were able to climb all over it, so it brings back a lot of fond memories.

I enjoy his Freedom of the Human Spirit that is the centerpiece of Shain Park in downtown Birmingham.

What I enjoy most about Marshall Fredericks' sculptures is that each one looks so different from so many angles. There's no definitive perspective for many of them!

Same thread in Detroit Connections: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/128939.html?120359 0011

Kathleen

Post Number: 2783
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you tell that I enjoy Fredericks' work?

Here's a link to a walking tour of Marshall Fredericks' works in Birmingham, courtesy of the Birmingham Historical Museum:

http://www.ci.birmingham.mi.us /templates/printer_version.asp ?page=1156

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By far my favorite Marshall Fredericks' work is "The Friendly Frog". I loved climbing all over this thing as a kid in the Hudson's wing of the Genesee Valley Mall up here in Flint.

http://flintexpats.blogspot.co m/2008/01/frog-lives.html

Gumby

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frog

You can see it in the middle of the pic on the right side.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So why is this museum at Saginaw Valley?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3549
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So why is this museum at Saginaw Valley

From the website:

quote:

Mrs. Dorothy (Honey) Arbury studied with Mr. Fredericks when she attended Kingswood School at the Cranbrook Educational Community in Bloomfield Hills in the 1930s and knew him through her uncle Alden Dow, a prominent Midland, Michigan architect with whom Fredericks worked on architectural sculpture projects. Mrs. Arbury was on the founding board of Control of Saginaw Valley College in 1963. She remained active on the board, which later became Saginaw Valley State University (SVSU), and the SVSU Foundation Board into the 1990s. Mrs. Arbury and her husband Ned Arbury and Mr. and Mrs. Fredericks generated the idea of a permanent exhibit of Fredericks' work adjacent to the university's new facility for the art, music and theatre departments. SVSU and the Arburys worked together toward an agreement to have the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum built adjacent to the art department.

http://www.svsu.edu/mfsm/about .cfm?doc_id=5381

Kathleen

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gumby, for the Frog in the Mall photo! I don't think I've ever stopped at the Genessee Valley Mall, but I might do so next time I'm in the area.

Thanks, Pam, for the info on how the MFSM came to be at SVSU. I'm familiar with Alden B. Dow and his architectural legacy in Midland. In fact, as you tour the Alden B. Dow House, you can see a Marshall Fredericks sculpture displayed in the dining room area.

Gumby

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,

The Friendly Frog was donated to the Flint Childrens Museum back in the early 90's and for years was displayed at The North Bank Center in downtown Flint. When U of M bought Northbank Center they tried to move the Frog to the Childrens Museum on 3rd Ave near Chevrolet Ave (across from Kettering University). When they were doing that they discovered that it was too heavy for the floors at the museum and was put in storage at a local auto salvage yard. A couple of years agothe Frog found a new permanant home on the grounds of "C.S. Mott's Applewood Estate". It is located near the main entrance off of Robert T. Longway Boulevard.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2786
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gumby, for that update on the current location of the Friendly Frog. I didn't make it back to Flint during the summer or fall for a visit of Applewood, but it's on my list of places to visit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.