Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Hollywood-like streetscape for Silverdome?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crains
Username: Crains

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Developer envisions Hollywood-like streetscape for Silverdome
A high-tech entertainment center may come to Pontiac if a developer wins the bid for the Silverdome. The Oakland Press reports California-based United Assurance Co. is proposing a venue combining entertainment, sporting events, hospitality and broadcasting.
http://crainsdetroit.com/apps/ pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080219 /REG/336461878/1050

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2713
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll believe it when I see it.

How about they make a park there or something?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5525
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How are they going to get around the fact that the Silverdome sits in the middle of a mile of asphalt?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5189
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard they were going to develop it into a giant spaceship that can fly to Jupiter and back in three days! It's going to be powered by magic fairy dust, and the government will give all Michiganders a million dollars each so they can afford to ride it during our tough economic times!

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It envisions the handprints of Madonna, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and other Michigan stars lining a Hollywood Boulevard-themed streetscape that winds between restaurants, hotels and shops."

A another fake-downtown outdoor mall? No thanks. The Fountainwalks and Partridge Creek have had underwhelming results.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Partridge Creek is struggling already?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How screwy can the people in this region get!?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5190
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

silverdome.jpg

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone here suggested we jump it with a school bus.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should make it an auto theme. It would attract several hundred people annually.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ AutoWorld South....

Rel

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed,

I didn't say "struggling"... it is not meeting expectations. Those can be two very different things.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2717
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I didn't say "struggling"... it is not meeting expectations. Those can be two very different things.

Semantics. The takeaway point is that for a brand new development it's not performing. Is that correct?

Btw, I have never been there nor will I probably ever visit it. Most of my family lives on the west side of the city and the western suburbs, so I would never really have an opportunity to go way over there during a visit home. All I know about this place is what I read here.

With that said, I never expected for this to be a smashing success. I am just surprised that it is showing strain so soon.

Rel

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Respectfully, those are still two very different terms. "Struggling" can mean something very different than not meeting high hopes/projections. Ask any storekeeper.

I've never been there either... and I don't plan to. All I had heard is that it was performing below optimistic expectations. Seriously, who thought it as a good idea to build outdoor malls in a state with bitter winters?

Iheartthed & others... I hate to be a nay-sayer and not offer any solutions. Does anyone else have ideas? I do like the auto-theme idea that was mentioned... maybe the world's largest indoor vintage car dealership, lol.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2718
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Fair enough.

As for how I feel about the prospects of the Silverdome... Tear that schitt down?

What else can they do there? It's not located in a centralized location. It was built with the specific intent for people to park their cars in a humongous parking lot, attend an event in the stadium and go home.

There is no compelling reason for anything else to be on that site other than a football stadium or a forest. Since it's prospects of remaining a football stadium are dim at best, I say it's time raze it and turn it into park land.

Rel

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt the City of Pontiac would dig that idea... losing million$ when they could $ell it. And on top of that, paying to raze & reforest it.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love your rendering, Johnlodge

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2719
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I doubt the City of Pontiac would dig that idea... losing million$ when they could $ell it.

That's if it's really worth anything. Michigan is losing population. The metro area growth has been stagnant for 3 decades. What demand is there to put something new there?

Rel

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, I'm not an expert in economics, but I would say that their $18 Million is something, right?

Better than having to pay to tear it down.

I saw Pontiac should take the money and RUN!

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I agree that this type of idea-combining an outdoor mall with our motown theme is passe, overdone and cheesy. We need to stop living in our past and focus on bringing something original and unique.

Rel

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to think of it, it's a crazy idea, but original...

A huge, indoor vintage/antique car marketplace. It could be a destination for car collectors across the globe. Rare cars, parts, memorabilia, etc. Free shuttles to Henry Ford, other museums, Rouge Plant, etc.

Here's to fantasies...

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turn it into a Mega-Bingo Hall on weeknights and a Mega-Flea Market on weekends.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 613
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it should be turned into a park.

<313>

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 830
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet another idea for the silverdome site.....

(Message edited by fareastsider on February 19, 2008)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2554
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Catman_dude's ideas. With those ideas in mind, why not advertise the Silverdome as a convention center for Pontiac? It has the floor space and the parking spaces. Sounds like an inexpensive way to make use of the stadium.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know palm trees grew in Michigan in the winter.
I envision a multi sport plex, but what do I know.

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibraltar Trade Center- Norther

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some offf the cuff ideas:

A permanent Auto-Ramma exhibit.

An indoor water theme park. The world's largest Walmart.

A monument to the incredible STUPIDITY of the city of Pontiac, which had previous offers for significantly more money and higher quality development five years ago during their first round of bidding... until the lamebrain city government drove the developers crazy and they dropped out one by one.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new Shopping mall might be coming to THE ROC at Hamlin and Rochester called

The Gardens of Rochester Hills!

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge,
That is a typical suburbanite Detroit (oops, Pontiac) hating thing to say - it will be powered by unicorns, not fairy dust! Everybody who's been to The P knows that the exhaust from that much fairy dust makes you sick.

Lmcdet
Username: Lmcdet

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea of an amusement park. Leave the the dome (or make it retractable) remove the seats, turn it into North America's (if not the worlds largest) indoor water park. Expand it into some of the massive parking lot and add Rollercoasters, consessions, carnival games, and different types of rides (the works). It can be a year around amusement park destination.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray:

"After soliciting requests for proposals Oct. 11 through CB Richard Ellis - the Southfield-based brokerage firm hired to market the 127-acre Silverdome property - the Pontiac City Council voted Feb. 7 to reopen the bidding process because current bids were deemed inadequate."

http://theoaklandpress.com/sto ries/021908/loc_20080219248.sh tml

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.