Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Old Photo Trivia « Previous Next »
Archive through February 20, 2008Rel30 02-20-08  9:33 am
Archive through February 20, 2008Johnlodge30 02-20-08  12:53 pm
Archive through February 20, 2008Rel30 02-20-08  10:45 pm
Archive through February 22, 2008Gnome30 02-22-08  10:26 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5280
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, from what I have read, a company called "Streetcar USA" is moving into it. Before anybody gets too excited, the name was chosen because of the historic building. They apparently make aftermarket car parts, and are owned by the guy who owns Quality Metalcraft, Inc. in Livonia.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2774
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found Milton Botsford on the Find-a-Grave site. He's buried in the Oakwood Cemetery in Farmington (that's that one on the north side of Grand River about a half mile west of Farmington Road). He died in 1883, age 70. There's a whole bunch of the Botsford family buried there.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6148
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, jjaba saw you waiting on the platform in South Lyon last week. Colder than a South Lyon well digger's ass, and he's waiting for the train. Rock, there's no service anymore. Go downtown and warm up at the cafe.

Now tell the people why Durand Station is such a big deal to us.

jjaba, on the Oakman streetcar.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5288
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go, Ray!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, my son, if you are a rail buff, Durand is the answer. Google "Durand Depot" and you will see what I mean. Talk about history, size, design. It's Naches, Mayches. You name it. Durand has it.
It's like driving down Dexter Ave. and seeing the Brent General Hospital all over again.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome....
....you're right. The hardware/feed store itself was to the right of the building as you're facing it, and the building was used for storage. For many years there was a small Plymouth gas/mechanical locomotive in the weeds in that triangle of land to the left of the building.....

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Nice job on that building, I actually looked at that property to convert into a loft type living space for Myself and Mrs. D, They wanted too much at the time, plus I thought We would never get the fertilizer smell out.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6150
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock knows historical RR stations. Who would have thought such a station in a little pisher of a town.

jjaba is impressed after a quick bit of research.
35 passenger trains a day, 100 freighters, 3,000 passengers passing through the station daily.

jjaba.

The_rock

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L-yard mentioned the "witch's hat" railroad stations in his post, above.That's where Durand really shines. Old photo?

Jjaba

Post Number: 6153
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The size of the Durand Station and the community pride about it, too. The RRs made the town so place names are RR references. The old roundhouse was also very impressive. 50% of the town worked directly for the RR. Thanks Rock.

jjaba on the 409 to Bay City.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5300
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one should't be too difficult, so no hints from me this time.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, I have a new destination for a day trip. Thanks.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I believe that would be the church south of E. Warren, on Russell.

The_rock

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hint--It's not the Durand railroad station.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 285
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock,

Pleased to hear you speak so fondly of the Durand RR station. I was raised in a small town nearby there and when my aunt would come up from Detroit to visit my mom, we would very often pick her up at this very same RR station. I loved the curved area in the floor by the old ticket window. How many tickets did they sell thru the years for that to happen?
Perhaps you could tell me, is the roundhouse still standing on the west side of Durand? And I thought the train from Polar Express was on display in Durand? If it isn't now, wasn't it previously?

The time to visit Durand is during their Railroad Days celebration. Everything train related is open and on display. It gives you a better look at everything the historical department has available.

Have you ever heard of and seen the documentation of the Circus Train accident years ago in Durand? There is an elephant buried in a cemetary outside of town. It's also where they buried most all of the circus workers who died in the accident also.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5301
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living, not the church on Russel. There's a ton of old churches in Detroit, but this one is a little different.

The_rock

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mama-j, the Circus train accident in Durand goes back to 1903 ( Wallace Bros circus). I understand there may be a memorial there regarding it.
The Polar Express train is the old Pere Marquette #1225 (Berkshire)and is located at the Michigan Steam Institute in Owosso, not far from Durand. Tickets for this late Fall's Polar Express trips are so popular that they can already be ordered on their website.
I would very much like to attend Durand's Railroad days festival. I think it is May 18th this year. I did attend Standish's RR Festival last Fall when the #1225 steam engine ran from Owosso to Grayling and made a stop in Standish.
I do not believe that the roundhouse is still a standing structure in Durand. There is a neat model of it at the local railroad model exhibit in the station.
A Forumer who is a living authority on Michigan railroads is Bob Cosgrove , but it does not appear he has latched on to this thread yet. He could add a lot of information on Durand and its rich railroad history.

The_rock

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should have also mentioned that an excellent, recent publication titled " Where the Rails Cross" is available through the Michigan eLibrary system at your local library and this book tells a complete history of Durand ind its railroad heritage. Great photos, too.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wallace Circus Wreck

Jjaba

Post Number: 6158
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incredible story. Thanks Hornwrecker as always.

Rock, what kind of passenger service is there today in Durand? jjaba knows that in about the 1980s, jjaba's parents for some reason went through Durand to Chicago instead of the NY Central line. Does The Rock know why?

jjaba.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John, is this it?

http://www.detroit1701.org/St. Bonaventure.htm

I cheated a little. I couldn't remember the name of the monastery so I looked it up. I have seen it from the cemetary across the street though.

The_rock

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why Mr and Mrs. jjaba would have gone through Durand to reach Chicago IF they were leaving from Detroit. Possible though, as the Grand Trunk did take you to Durand , and then you changed trains, and swung over to the West bound track and went to Muskegon. From there they would work their way down to Chicago.. What is so neat about Durand is that it has N/S track crossing with E/W track.
Today Durand passenger service is served by Amtrak, and the venerable old station is the Amtrak station. Taking a peek at the current Amtrak schedule shows that if you wanted to go to Durand from Detroit you go through Battle Creek first! Not very direct. And you can go from Durand to Chicago if that suits your fancy.
I would have to check my old Official RR schedule book to see if other RR lines handled a Detroit to Chicago posting through Durand.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6160
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt about it. jjaba's parents went via Durand. Perhaps they left from Royal Oak or Pontiac to Durand, then West to Chicago. According to the research, Westbound out of Durand could lead passengers to Chicago.
Thanks The Rock.

jjaba, Fan of The Rock.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3579
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

y'know sometimes I think history is to DYers what sex is to gossip columnists

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 325
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Durand roundhouse was torn down in 1961.

The depot almost met the same fate, but was sold to the city in '79.

They skinned that poor elephant that died in the crash. The memorial and burial ground is a few miles out of town in Lovejoy Cemetary.

For those interested in the Durand Depot, please donate (I'm a lifetime member). Restoration continues...

http://www.durandstation.org/

Douglasm

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the night train, but GTW #21 out of Detroit about noontime would connect with the Toronto/Chicago train in Durand. The 2 coaches would wait for the eastbound out of Chicago for Toronto, which usually arrived in Durand about 4pm, returning to Detroit as #56. Made a nice inexpensive railfan daytrip from Royal Oak. As a side note, 2-8-2 #4070, which is now in pieces in Cleveland, spent 7 or 8 years on a siding next to the Durand freighthouse after everything else was scrapped.

BTW, is the Durand coaling tower still standing?

Shark

Post Number: 326
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes (almost positive).

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that St. Bonaventure? The Capuchin Soup Kitchen's home?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5302
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam and Gaz, you are correct, it is St. Bonaventure, the Capuchin Monastery.

The Capuchin's began their ministry in Detroit in 1883. The area they settled in was once called Russell's Grove. They originally considered Fort Wayne, but the Bishop of Fort Wayne felt it would be better to spread out their work, so Father Bonaventure chose the site on Mt. Elliot.

Russell's grove was, at that time, outside the city limits, and known to be a dangerous place at night. Apparently, one of the novices even had to cut down a noose from a tree in front of the monastery, where a man was either hanged or committed suicide.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6162
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Johnlodge. You went Eastside so jjaba was on the sidelines on the church. It looks like a dandy investment in early Detroit.

Douglasm, thanks for the answer about train service to Chicago via Durand, from Royal Oak, Mich. It still seems so odd to go north from Detroit to get to Chicago.

To this day, jjaba has a hard time going miles in the wrong direction to get anywhere like a freeway ramp, airplane connections, or on the train. To go to Chicago from Detroit, you go West! From Detroit, Canada is South! Thus the term, going "Up North" for a nice weekend in the Michigan woods.

jjaba, Proudly Westsider.

The_rock

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark- If you click on to RailPictures.net you can see some photos of GT 2-8-2 #4070 (Mikado) taken after she was taken out of the GT livery and went to the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railway. Looked pretty sharp there, but a more recent photo taken two years ago in Cleveland at the roundhouse shows her in pretty bad shape, rusting away and missing a driver. Too bad that today she is "in pieces".
I will be at the Durand station on April 5, and will make a contribution.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, a friend told me there's an original Howard Fogg painting of 4070 working the Oxford gravel pits, in the offices of Koening Cement, on E Seven Mile Rd. They used to (?) own the gravel pit out there.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on February 25, 2008)

The_rock

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Wrecker. When I am in the area, I will stop in and check it out.Definitely. Fogg was a genius, and I have visited different websites that have featured his works. Even eBay has some of his puzzles for auction.
And I should have directed my last post to Dougm who informed us about #4070 in the first place. However, I will inform shark if the old coaling tower is still standing when I am in Durand on April 5.
So what's next on the agenda, johnlodge?

Douglasm

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba.....
.....there was a big debate when Amtrak was formed about which route would be chosen for Detroit/Chicago. The Penn Central route was shorter and serviced larger population areas, but suffered from declining patronage in the "roach coach" era.

The GTW route through Durand was longer, but served Michigan State University (on weekends, it was a very busy stop), and the Grand Trunk had much higher ridership due to their heavy promotion their overnight passenger service (Remember the "Grand What's It's Name Railway" campaign?). In the end, the Penn Central route was chosen. A mistake in my opinion.

GTW non commuter stops between Detroit and Durand were Royal Oak, Birmingham, Pontiac, and Holly (a flag stop).

As to directions, if it's any help from North Central Washington to Seattle, you have to go either north or south. As the crow flies, it's due west, but if the crow drives, it's north or south......

North Central Washington's own
douglasm

(Message edited by douglasm on February 25, 2008)

Shark

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pic info Rock.

When in Durand, also be sure to check out the Grand Trunk Western # 5632 a 4-6-2 Pacific steam locomotive (Knights Templar Special?). It is located in a small park downtown. Sadly it hasn't been operational since 1960something.

Now sure if this has been posted, but here is a cool pic of the old roundhouse in 1909:
http://www.shiawasseehistory.c om/images/roundhousedurand1.jp g

Jjaba

Post Number: 6164
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is such an excellent thread. Total quality from Douglasm. So, that was the time when GTW or AMTRAK ran the route via Durand?

Growing up, jabba and family, then jjaba to college, used the NY Central alot. All of our extened family was in Chicago. We used 63rd St. Station alot. So you can see jjaba's confusion about taking a Chicago train from Royal Oak to Chicago via Durand. He never knew of the "Roach Coach" era on the Twilight Limited or The Wolverine.

As for Douglasm Western travels between Ellensburg and Seattle, the last time jjaba looked, there's no Northern Cascade Mountains between Detroit and Niles, Michigan so the logical route of the Michigan Central line makes complete sense.

jjaba, Westsider.

Douglasm

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba....
.....I'll look up the dates. GTW's Detroit/Chicago service ended when Amtrak started in 1971 (?).

Note that from Wenatchee one goes northwest then south to Cle Elum before turning west.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.....

Jjaba

Post Number: 6165
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the traveling salesman from Detroit has a customer in Cassopolis, Michigan. He asks his secretary to spell it before he calls the customer to confirm the date. She gets about halfway through, not sure how to spell it when the salesman tells her, "Screw it, tell the guy I'll meet him in Niles at the Train Depot!"

Later, he realized she was from the Eastside, Denby grad.

jjaba, some Michigan nameplace humor.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: God'll get ya for that one!

The_rock

Post Number: 2163
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worry not, GoBlue. As we speak ( post), jjaba is in Guadalaraja, bribing anyone he can find for a bottle of bottled water. Suddenly trains and the Niles depot are not high on his agenda.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.