Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Pictures of Detroit and the rest of the state « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

recevied this link for old pictures of Michigan towns, plus Detroit has its own section.

http://www.viewsofthepast.com/ topics/towns.htm#

enjoy,

slick

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 821
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Slick for the posting and welcome to the forum!

Under the Detroit section, I clicked on the Steamship going down Griswold picture! Does anyone know what the purpose of that was?

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing, this will definitely be added into my favorites.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5172
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with the Airship picture? Detroit, The Airship City? There's a picture of what looks like the Kitty Hawk, and a building in the background that says "Wright" on it.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um... a steamer on Griswold? Scratching my head.

Steamer on Griswold

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie, those were just joke or curiosity photos. Pretty common around the turn of the century. Just a gimmick to sell more postcards.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it me or is the boat club in the middle of the river?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 833
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higher water levels at the time?

Clayton
Username: Clayton

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Single_malt - what a cool user name!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 571
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is odd about the boat club... very nice photos.

It gives one a sense of connection when one goes to work in a building that's seen as much as many of those photos have.

Even more interesting, one of the photos gave me a clue to another forumers' username :-)

(Message edited by digitalvision on February 20, 2008)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 830
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Alan! Now I'm laughing. Who woulda thunk there was such photo trickery back then?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3519
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there a Wright Kay building before the current Wright Kay building at John R & Woodward?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Under the Detroit section, I clicked on the Steamship going down Griswold picture! Does anyone know what the purpose of that was?"

This was before Photoshop! Did someone actually take the time to stage that scene?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5277
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This was before Photoshop! Did someone actually take the time to stage that scene?

LOL.. You'd be surprised what was possible before Photoshop.

Stalin no like you! You no longer exist!

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 630
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, look at how clean and fancy the Book Tower is! The poor old gal needs a bath.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.