Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Dream Cruise Event Downtown « Previous Next »
Archive through February 19, 2008Rel30 02-19-08  1:22 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5182
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay, I'm a Friendlymotownboosterida Suburbanite. Be nice to us, we like to take money from the suburbs and redeposit it in the city. :-)

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Culture war now!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 555
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I'm saying is that it runs both ways. I know folks who live in far east Queens and they won't take the LIRR to Manhatten because of multiple personal reasons. Same thing with family friends from suburban Baltimore who won't venture downtown (when their daughter taught school at Harlem Park Elementary School-- for you "Wire" fans out there) and only go to DC when entertaining folks from out of state.

I also know numerous people who are life-long residents in Harper Woods and the Pointes who refuse to come downtown. I can try to convince them they have nothing to be afraid of, but why? Usually people uncomfortable in certain situations, whatever that situation may be, will not have a good time regardless of the experience.

Sometimes it appears that the ire of suburbanites toward Detroit is matched by the anger that Detroiters (be they from Detroit, work in Detroit or just are pro-Detroit on this forum)have towards the suburbs. It cancels everything out.

Tk56 has every right to hold the opinion about not wanting to drive his car downtown. Is the opinion excessive? Maybe, but it's his car. I had my new truck two weeks before some hoodlums on Alter scratched it up throwing rocks at it. I understand his "paranoia" as someone called it.

The whole "US vs. THEM" will be there until the end of time, even if Detroit can turn everything around. There will always be someone, like the people I know in Queens and Baltimore, that will just be happy in their own neck of the woods, and will stay put for whatever reason, as uninformed, ill-informed or even spot on as it may be. And truthfully, there's nothing wrong with that. Detroit needs these people, too. Detroit will never be everything to everybody. It's called balance.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, wasn't this thread about the Dream Cruise? And don't they always turn into a flame war about the suburbs?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds, the whole point of this thread involved suburban dream cruise participants "sorta snubbing" Detroit.

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 19, 2008)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dds, the whole point of this thread involved suburban dream cruise participants "sorta snubbing" Detroit.

I believe it said "participant", as in one guy snubbing Detroit, not everyone in the suburbs.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thnk2mch, read Tk65's comments. Sounds like more than one person to me!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.k., two.

Actually, I was commenting on the article.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" A suburban family is not going to venture into the city with their car thats worth thousands of dollars."

Oh. Had me fooled. All those Mercedes and Lexus cars I see downtown and in Midtown must be $1500 knock offs. Here I thought those were real.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I own a 1951 Packard. I live in Hamtramck> Generally in the summer if I am not heading North. I get my car out of storage and its my wheels for the weekend. Detroit and Hamtramck are my playground I don't even think twice about bombing around town in it. I take it to the Tastefest, the Dally in the Alley, Fourth Street, Eastern Market I've parked it at the Majestic , Union Street Honest Johns you name its been there. I'm sure some of you out there have seen me in it. It's to bing to fit in my 1920's Hamtramck Garage. So all weekend its parked out on the dirty streets of Hamtramck. Every where I drive it in the city I get big smiles and thumbs up and people rolling down there windows asking me about it. Thats my idea of a Dream Cruise.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live just off Woodward near 9 mile and I would love to see the 500 lb Gorilla that the "Dream Cruise" has become go away. But I don't wish it on my friends in Detroit. I also get tired of the us vs. them mindset that has infected this region for 50 years.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5298
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're all in this together, anybody who wants to believe otherwise is just in denial. Success for Detroit = success for the entire metro region, and even state.

Thegryphon
Username: Thegryphon

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am confused, why did they decide not to extend the Cruise in the 1st place? I understand the historical aspect, but why not adapt for the new millenium? Things change, & I only see positives to the Cruise's extension. RE: the "TK" banter, if he is afraid to drive down Woodward who cares? People drive up & down Pontiac roads for the Cruise (& not to mention for daily commutes) why should the D be any different?

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I agree, bring the cruise to the "D".

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If someones Lexus gets jacked, they go get another from Lexus of Lakeside after the insurance pays it off. If my one of 500 left Muscle Car gets stolen, where do I go to get another one just like it? The argument of seeing high dollar cars in Detroit is flawed.

Furthermore who in their right mind is going to set up shop along Woodward next to a field filled with shit or a boarded up burned out shop.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, you are seeing the attitude of your typical suburbanite right in front of you.

Might as well take notes.

Tk65

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Womans car stolen 15 times.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080218/O PINION03/802180304/1383/OPINIO N0308

Yall act like cars are never stolen in detroit.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tk65, you act like cars aren't stolen and can't be stolen in the safe, boring suburbs.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I Stand by My previous post, Bring the cruise to the "D".

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Living_in_the_d. I don't see the issue in doing so.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I concur Detroitrise, well put and well said.

Tk65

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Detroit isnt boring? Where is car theft a major major problem, the burbs or Detroit. Yes it can happen anywhere, but where DOES it happen all hours of the day. Detroit.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, quit your useless babble.

If you feel unsafe coming into the city, then fine.

I really don't think coming just for sports is having business in the city.

Maybe trying to overcome your fear of it would suffice.

And don't even get me started on the "and Detroit isn't boring?" crap.

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 23, 2008)

Tk65

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dont have fear, just dont have any other reason to come to the city. And if it wasnt for sports what would you have? Seems all Kwame and his posse have to hang their hats on is sporting events theyve helped bring in. You want that business to go away?

You brought up the suburbs being boring, like Detroit is some 24hr entertainment mecca. Ive been to real thriving cities and Detroit isnt one of them.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Detroit will ever become a thriving city because we can't have real regional cooperation like other thriving cities because of people like you.

The suburbs are boring. I have no reason to go there other than shopping. And I only go shoping i nthe suburbs because my options are very limited in Detroit and I deserve better than what's available.

You ask me what would I HAVE? I would have a home, family and love for the city. I support EVERYTHING within its limits (small businesses, cultural aspects, history, parks, etc.). I haven't been to ANY of the sport venues yet and still manage to have a good time in Detroit.

Not to mention, I'm not paranoid about my car being stolen. As long as I have common sense enough to park it in light areas, secure it, and basically play it smart, I don't worry about it.

You will only get trouble if you ask for trouble in my book.

Why not move somewhere else if you find Detroit so boring and dangerous? The faster we get people like you outta here, the faster we can continue to move forward.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People need to lighten up on the WDC in Detroit.If you want to cruise down Woodward south of 8 Mile,do it.If some org. or church group wants to get in on sponsoring it,more power to them.I would love to see it.It would truly make it a S.E.MI. event.It would also lessen some of the gridlock on cruise Sat.I cruise between Pontiac and Lone Pine Rd.Only open road on cruise day.
Pontiac doesn't have a problem,yet,with carjackings.Some hoods may be bad,just stay out of them.The cruise doesn't go there.A WDC extention south of 8 Mile wouldn't go thru these carjack spots in Detroit.Plus all the traffic and cops would keep things in check.One last thing is there has been car shows at the State Fair on cruise day,with a good turnout.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And Detroit will ever become a thriving city because we can't have real regional cooperation like other thriving cities because of people like you."

Man, your head is in the sand. Detroit's reputation precedes itself. No suburb or suburbanite is causing the downfall of Detroit. Pick up the Detroit newspapers, read Forbes, the New York Times, Washington Post....they are all negative about Detroit because it's all true. Crime is rampant, taxes are high, police protection is almost non-existant, fire department has antiquated equipment, can't get a street light fixed, murder, rape, robberies, drug use on the upswing; and a thug hip hop mayor who believes he's on assignment from God and breaks five of ten commandments that I know of; lives like a king while people in his city are without heat and paying through the nose. Take responsibility for your own actions and leave the suburbs out of your problems. Detroit is my hometown. I love the memories I have of where I grew up and went to school. I married, raised my family, worked, played, worshiped there, but the Detroit I knew is long gone. Believe me, I would love to see Detroit prosper and become a vibrant city again; but as of today, Detroit seems doomed. Yes, there are a few pockets of great neighborhoods where people take pride in their homes, downtown is great, but venture into the inner-city and walk block after block and see it. I have driven through three of my old neighborhoods between E. Grand Blvd., and Chalmers, Kercheval and Vernor and Jefferson, it looks like Iraq. I or my suburban neighbors didn't do that to the City.

Tk65

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post.

It seems the suburbs have been doing just fine over the past 35 years while Detroit has went to shit. Oakland and Macomb counties boomed while Detroit faltered. So tell me again why we need Detroit to survive for all our benefit?

And Downtown isnt that great. I used to think it was awesome until I visited other cities and saw what was happening. A world class city???? Hardly.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, guys... I think you confused this with the DetroitNo forum. Look at the web address in your browser one more time, please.

If you truly feel so negative and ambivalent about Detroit, then don't post here. It's that simple. This forum is for those of us who love & believe in the City, or at the very least care about it and see it's relevance to the surrounding region.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post Rel.

If you think Detroit is so bad, simply just move whatever from here.

It's all pure ignorance IMO (on their behalf) to be so close-minded.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rel, no need to remind me where I am. I am quite aware that this is a Yes forum but that doesn't make me a "Yes" person on all aspects of Detroit. As you see in my post above, "Believe me, I would love to see Detroit prosper and become a vibrant city again"...
I have seen many of you Yes people become very negative about certain aspects of Detroit. I have seen people from various places in the U.S. post here. Sorry you don't like what I said, but remember...the truth will set you free. Unfortunately, KK didn't think of that one before going to court.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tk65, et. al.

Last summer - I don't remember quite when - while on my bike, I came upon a section of Woodward in the city closed for a car show. I think it was around the old Model T plant. Now, since I didn't stop and wander around (I would have loved to, but didn't have time to stop) I can't say whether there were things like, say, a Hemi Challenger convertible or 454 Kingswood wagon or some other rare piece of muscle, but there were at least 4 dozen beautiful old cars of of vintages ranging from early-smog muscle to fins. There are people who live in the city who have nice, old (and comaratively rare) cars and who both drive and show them in the city. I won't argue with your reasons for staying away (I can understand) but it is more of an individual choice than one that will necessarily be made by everyone, or even most, in your situation.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5308
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.