Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Hello eveyone!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitlove
Username: Detroitlove

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on here for awhile and finally came around to posting! I just wanted to say that i love detroit...and i love reading these message boards.

I grew up in Cleveland (am back here now.. yuck)but went to college at U of M. I can't wait to move back. ( and yes, i actually lived in the city of detroit, not just ann arbor)...i don't know what it is but i think it is a great city, with so much to do. it gets a bad rap but there really is fun stuff to do, you just have to look around.

Anyway, I just wanted to say "hi", and also get some advice. I am working on my MA is Sociology and was thinking about doing my Master's research paper on detroit, or maybe Hamtramck ( i am obsessed with hamtramck at the moment)...anybody have any good ideas?? Maybe environmental racism?? gentrification?? race relations?? if anybody has any more specific ideas about the current issues facing hamtramck that would make a good paper, i would appreciate your suggestions.

thanks! :-)

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome! You could write on the eclectic bunch that comprise the DetroitYes forum.

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are interested in Hamtramck get in touch with Greg Kowalski of the historical commission. Not sure of his contact info but shouldn't be too hard to reach him. He is a wealth of information on the city and a wonderful man.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6558
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Q: How do you know someone when to the University of Michigan?

quote:

I grew up in Cleveland (am back here now.. yuck)but went to college at U of M. I can't wait to move back.

A: Wait five minutes and they tell you.

:-)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Welcome. (Even if you posted this in the wrong forum).

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Dl,

Aiw's post isn't very welcoming, so I just want to say hello and I have no idea what you should write about, except maybe a paper about one old Hamtramck family would be cool. Go spend a week or whatever with some old Polish couple. The topics you thought of seem sooo over-done, aren't they? I mean everyone writes about gentrification, racism, etc, right?

I don't know, just a thought and I wanted to say hello in a nice way.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 877
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great positivity. Love it. keep it up

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most serious issue facing Hamtramck is our City Council. It's a joke all you have to do is watch 1 meeting and you will understand. You can view them at http://hamtramckstar.com/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.