Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Has anyone dealt with 36th district court in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious about other's experiences with the obviously overwhelmed district court in the city. I got a ticket (legitimate, my bad....did not see a sign indicating no left turn) and unfortunately had my expired insurance paper with me at the time. So, I was going to "fight" the no insurance ticket. What a mess!! First of all, I continuously contacted the courthouse to learn what my scheduled date was....eventually received a notice that I had missed my date, even though I had just spoken with a representative the day before telling me my ticket hadn't yet been processed (30+ days after ticket issue).....got re-scheduled!
Seems as though that is common practice, as others waiting that day told me of the same experience. Waited around for over an hour after the posted time of appearance....Then dealt with my officer, Captain America, who seemed disappointed with my charges being reduced.....

Is this standard operating procedure?? I finally appeared to amend this ticket almost 4 months after the "offense".

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. None of us has ever had any dealings with this so-called "36th District" court. Absolutely not.
But seriously, just in case we pretend to believe that such a place exists, what is your question, again?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7638
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

abandonallhope

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About Par for this course.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is the 8th level of hell

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of anger-immaturity and apathy. Totally corrupt and disorganized. I payed a shyster lawyer to have an incident taken under advisement, (didnt have to stand up in front of the judge, just payed the fine) it wasnt taken care of as I was pulled over and informed that there was an outstanding warrant (I wasnt arrested) had to go back and find the lawyer who lurked outside of the courtroom of Judge Perry . On another occasion I went on a speeding ticket, the cop showed up, had to pay the ticket but recieved a refund when the cop didnt show up for the court hearing that dealt with points.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 687
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of anger-immaturity and apathy. Totally corrupt and disorganized. I payed a shyster lawyer to have an incident taken under advisement, (didnt have to stand up in front of the judge, just payed the fine) it wasnt taken care of as I was pulled over and informed that there was an outstanding warrant (I wasnt arrested) had to go back and find the lawyer who lurked outside of the courtroom of Judge Perry . On another occasion I went on a speeding ticket, the cop showed up, had to pay the ticket but recieved a refund when the cop didnt show up for the court hearing that dealt with points.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it can be entertaining too though, while out in the hall waiting, i got to witness an early 20-something boastfully telling his friends that he was going to represent himself on his misdemeanor. i just wish i was in the courtroom to watch the hillarity ensue

(Message edited by gravitymachine on February 18, 2008)

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sincerely think our courts need a make over. They are corrupt, unorganized and bias.

I started a group in Flint, anybody interested? It's called Citizens for a Fair Judiciary. I wanted to focus on Flint courts, but there are so many complaints across the state! I think this group should cover the whole State of Michigan.

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a ticket a few years back that I fought at 36th district court. I knew there was now way I was speeding and so I took it to court. The judge called all the defendants for each officer to stand at once. The first cop had 3 tickets, but couldn't produce 2 so they were dismissed. Then she called for all of us who were ticketed by my cop to stand and said that today was our lucky day. She received word that the officer was on mandatory training and could not make it. All of our cases were dismissed. She joked with us that today was shaping up wonderfully and she hoped she could keep it up. We were told to wait outside and the clerk would give us the paperwork. As we were waiting our guy showed up. All of us looked at each other with fear as another cop told him, "You better get in there, she thinks you're in training!" He went in and we were told by someone in the court that she told him he might as well leave, the court had dismissed all his tickets. Though I felt I had a strong case, I sure was glad not to have to go before the judge. I've been given the advice to always fight your tickets since the worst that can happen is the exact same thing as if you just pay it. In my case, that was good advice.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not even going to START commenting on the 36th District Court. But I will remind Detroit & metro-Detroit voters:

VOTE FOR YOUR JUDGES. It's on the non-partisan side of the ballot. Even if you vote straight-party, you are leaving the judicial races out. Many people are ambivalent to the judicial races, until they find themselves on the giving or receiving end of the legal process. Read up on your local judges (and even the MI Supreme Court). If you have friends who are attorneys, ask their opinions. Read the newspaper endorsements to learn more, and decide for yourself.

There are some fantastic judges in 36th, and some that would better serve the city as meter maids.

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I've been pulled over by Detroit cops _ once went through the infamous amber light, another my tags had expired _ I'd just wait until I got the notice, showed up when told to come and, voila, the Detroit cop didn't show, case dismissed. In both cases I was deliberately told by court clerk to keep the paperwork showing case dismissed in case I was pulled over and it hadn't been posted in the lein index.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps 5-7 years ago I was given a ticket for running a red light on East Jefferson. Clearly, I didn't do it. Clearly, this was a miscarriage of justice and I, wanting to preserve my perfect driving record for the sake of my insurance rates, went to court on the charge.

I watched the cases before me, mostly folks with terrible driving records. The judge, I believe, can use his bench computer to call up records at will and was able to call folks out on their lies about having a good record. Those poor souls could not catch a break that day.

Directly before my case, a well-spoken young lady was called up. She had come with her father and talked about being in school and going to church regularly. This was, IIRC, her first ticket. The judge gave her a break. He told her to donate what would have been the cost of the ticket to her church the following Sunday.

When I was called up, the ticketing officer gave his version of the event. I then stated that I clearly did not run the light and that he was grossly mistaken. The judge had a copy of my blemishless record in front of him and saw that there was at least a good chance that I was innocent of the charge. He asked me. "Where are you going to be this Sunday?" Remembering the previous case, I replied, "Why your honor, I expect I'm going to be in church." He then asked how much was I planning to put in the collection plate. Again, remembering the prior case, I asked how much he would suggest. He replied ± $100. My response, "That's the exact amount I was planning to give!" He then dismissed the case.

All in all, it was a good, educational experience for me and I directly sent a check for the named amount to one of my favorite charities.

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr, some may say that this was a gross violation of the separation of church and state, but I'm sure your church put the money to far better use than the court would, so I'll digress... :-)

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are a victim of an unjust traffic ticket, spend the day or two to fight it.

The cops in Metro Detroit are getting more and more ridiculous in the past year or so. I guess the unemployment rate, foreclosure rate and so on has a lot to do with cities and municipalities going broke. Hence the need to generate revenue through such shameful tactic.

I had a friend who fought an unjust "No Right Turn on Red" ticket at the Rochester Hills 52-3 District Court. Long story short - the nice judge dismissed the ticket.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been trying to fight a bogus parking ticket in front of my house since June. I sent a letter within 30 days, as it said I could, to request a court hearing, and got a form letter saying they are "unable to dismiss this ticket" and upping the fine. I wrote back to say that I was legally entitled to a court date and got the same form letter again, upping the fine again. Then I got a default judgment from the court, and sent another letter saying I never got my court date and did not intend to pay anything until I did. Last thing I got was a notice from a collection agency. What a crock.
The funniest thing, I thought, was that the default judgment was signed (well, stamped and approved) by the judge who sold us our house, with his old address on it and everything. He should know damn well it was legal to park on the street, but I suspect they never look at those things.
I'm not holding out any hope of getting a court date or dismissal, but I figure if Kandia Milton can run up $1,000 in parking tickets, they're not gonna boot me for one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.