Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Zeiger Osteopathic Hospital corner of Michigan and Livernois « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems quite a few people reading this forum grew up or presently live in the Michigan-Livernois area of Detroit. How many recall the former Zeiger hospital? The main hospital which was small was located on one side of Livernois and the obstetrical portion of the hospital was on the west side of Livernois.

I interned there in 1971. It was a very nice neighborhood hospital. The hospital did not cater to major trauma. All severely injured patients were shipped to the major trauma centers at that time. Receiving, Henry Ford, Providence, etc. Many babies were born there however.

I can recall suturing many lacerations in the small emergency room, a good number of which were the result of bar fights. One incident I will never forget is delivering a baby in the back seat of a taxi cab in the alley next to the OB building. The poor cab drivers eyes were as big as saucers. I was more scared than he. The mother was screaming and scared also. The baby was born with no problem. I simply had to clamp and cut the cord and transport the infant and mother into the building. Both did just fine and went home in a couple days.

I met many interesting people from Detroit while working there, both patients and employees.

Both buildings were eventually razed. A lot of history and memories went with them.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4540
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post Edziu and a belated welcome to forum.

I knew a now-long-gone old Detroit doc. Your taxi story reminded me of one of his. He delivered a child outdoors using car headlights as his light source.

I never heard of Zeiger until now, so it will be fun to watch the forum jump on that one.

Sfds
Username: Sfds

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Zieger or Ziegler ??) Detroit Osteopathic Hospital originally fed into Ziegler for certain specialities or overflow and vice versa. Ziegler was also an Osteopathic hospital. As a kid I was treated by Dr. Ziegler, a D.O. He was one of the founders of Botsford Osteopathic in Farmington. There's a large plaque dedicated to him and the history of the hospital in the lobby.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zeiger was still open when I went to Chadsey early 70's. I thought maybe the Boys Girls Club on Livernois is in one of the old buildings?
R/E Dr. Zieger/ Botsford- I wonder if they ever photoshopped that picture of him that was in the lobby. Showed him with a 'Bogey' type pose, with a cigarette, obviously lit by the plume of smoke.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2745
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I helped deliver two while in the DPD. I say "helped", because babies really kind of deliver themselves. In one of those instances, the mother named the baby Raymond after me. Sorry to report that was eons ago and I lost touch.

Aschar76
Username: Aschar76

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was sewed up there in 1971 front brake cable on a friend bike cut open my thigh . Old Dr.Hollis on Serena St & Martin said Son you got to go to Zeiger to get stitched up. I was going to Africa. silly me

art

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also was sewn up there a couple of times. I entered that hospital when it was abandoned, needles and medicine was strewn every where, sad. Did you know any of the Easthams who worked there before Botsford?

Edziu

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not recall the Easthams.

The hospital was originally founded and built by a group of physicians led by Dr. Alan Zeiger (not Zeigler). The same group of physicians bought a tract of land on Grand River and 8 mile in Farmington Hills adjacent to the Botsford Inn. They then proceeded to build Botsford General Hospital which is thriving today, and eventually closed Zeiger Hospital. While both were in operation the hospital corporation was referred to as Zeiger/Botsford hospital, just like Grace/Sinai today.

Getting back to Zeiger, I can recall working night shift 7 to 7. Many nights when it was slow I took my beeper and walked around the corner to George's coney island for a bowl of chili and a coney. George's is still there.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edziu, you probably know my aunt, she worked the night shift for many years in the ER, her first name is Theresa.

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Zeiger...the hosital was on the west side of Livernois and the clinic on the east. I remember a bird in the waiting room of the clinic...it talked...said "hello" over and over...anyone else remember that? Hey Thoswolfe...I graduated from Chadsey in 72...saw your post - when did u graduate?

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl_jr,
I worked for Bill Eastham, affectionately nicknamed "East", from about 1977 until he died in the 80s. At that time he was director of Botsford's OR. He was quite a guy; much-loved by staff and surgeons, and not so popular, from what I've heard, with administration because he was not a "yes man". I will never forget him.

His wife and a daughter-in-law also worked at Botsford, although I didn't know them well.

Did you know East?

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was delivered by Dr. Chaterley at Ziegler Hospital, April 28, 1953. My Mom stayed a week and they billed my Dad $560. My brother was Delivered an May 25, 1955. Again, our mom stayed a week, but they billed my Dad $755. Our Dad always told us Greg was almost returned to the hospital. We believed that for a long time.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papermoon,
Bill Eastham was my wifes Uncle. I never met him but I new his wife Catherine real well {Aunt Bob, she recently passed away} and she told me a lot about Bill. I really wish I could have met and talked with him, He has been described to me time and time again just as you have. An interesting fact was that he was in the Normandy invasion and landed DDAY on Sword beach with medical elements that were attached to the British 11th armoured division. This was his second campaign of the war as he had already spent 2 years in Africa with British Army fighting Rommel.

(Message edited by karl jr. on February 19, 2008)

(Message edited by karl jr. on February 19, 2008)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edziu, my cousin worked at Ziegler for a while. Her name is Mary Gamlin(Person). She now works for BCBS.

Detroit_uke, you may know my aunt's. They both graduated Chadsey, Paulette and Pam Cook.

Edziu

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot recall Ms. Gamlin. 37 years has taken its toll. I can remember a few physicians. Levin, Tom Carey, Bill Anderson, Fadool, Lenzi who had an office on Davison.

Detroit_uke

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main - I do remember your aunts - going to search for my yearbook tonight and reminisce...

Karl_jr

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edziu, did you ever get any vehicles repaired at michigan and livernois shell?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_uke

Which neighborhood did you stay in? I am sure we know a lot of the same people.

Detroit_uke

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main - grew up on a little street named Willette ... near Warren and Livernois. For the past 29 years been living near Warren and Southfield Rds

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl_jr,

Thanks for the info on East. I knew he served in WWII, but I didn't know the details. Again, thanks for sharing that.

East was smart, funny, fair, and generous. He was the best boss I ever had.

I'm sure you would have liked him, too.

Edziu

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl_jr,

I never had any work done at the shell station.

My father had a sunoco station at Jefferson&Junction so did must of my auto repair there.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papermoon, Thank you for your kind words regarding East, If you want I could post a wartime pic of him over the weekend.

Edziu, Jefferson and Junction Sunoco, have you seen the HOF defunct gas stations thread? Checkout Hamtownkingpins pics. Small world!

Margjame
Username: Margjame

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Zeiger Hospital well. All four of my children were born there. Jan 1956, Feb 1957, Jan 1960, Sep 1963. Paul Howe was my doctor. He had an office out Grand River, don't remember exactly where. That was a long time ago.

The first couple of times I was in Zeiger, maybe the third too, don't remember exactly, the ob side of the hospital had their own kitchen and all of us new mothers went to a central dining room to eat. Later, there was some trouble, I think it was staph infections, and they had to close the kitchen and dining room and bring all the food on carts through the tunnel under Livernois from the main kitchen and we had to eat in our rooms then.

On my first stay, we didn't have insurance so they let me go home the third day, instead of staying a week, the bill was $150 and it took several years to get it all paid off. By the second baby we had Blue Cross.

We lived a block off Livernois in the first block north of Grand River.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.