Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Good Fast food? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any examples of that?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An oxymoron, no?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 825
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHICKEN SHACK!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7119
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Chicken Shack but sometimes during their rushes, I'd hardly call them FAST food. The location on Woodward & Thirteen can get pretty swamped at times and it's tricky even getting in there at times for pre-ordered food!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good fast food:

Boston Market
Panera
Quiznos

Signs you've had too much weed -

laddling 7-11 chilli into a bag of nacho cheeze Combos with melted cheeze on top. A bag of oreos with chocolate milk and a whopper chaser.

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baja Fresh Mexican Grill.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my first Chicken Shack meal last week. The pieces must have been from a cornish hen. I have never seen a chicken that small. Over cooked and dry. Way over priced. My first and last time for C.S.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman, try the english cod. It's delicious. I've never tried anything else on their menu.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

POPEYES, The cajun mashed & gravy, catfish, and of coarse their chicken. awesome. never had a problem at any of their locations either. if the wait gets a little long, it's well worth it. but they do move pretty fast. the best one on telegraph off 94 in taylor(watch out for the gardner white cop across the street).

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tubby's in Hamtramck is great. They aren't open very late, but the manager there is SUPER polite and fast. My order always ends up being $6.66 and he always takes a penny off because he doesn't want me to feel weird about it (I laugh because I'd consider it lucky and I actually celebrated on 6/06/06). Anyway it's at Conant and Holbrook.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2778
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zumba's Grill on Main Street just north of 11 Mile Rd. in downtown Royal Oak. Terrific Mexican!!

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Travis burgers at 9 & Mack.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny story about that Popeyes on Telegraph/I-94. I had been wanting to try it for some time, and I got a coupon from them in the mail, it said End Of Month Special. So I took the coupon to the counter and was told it had expired. After straining my eyes to see the fine print, it had indeed expired on the 26th, yet there were still 4 days left in the month, so I asked why they would have a End Of Month special that expired before the actual end of the month. No response and they were not budging at the counter. I told them I passed at least a half dozen chicken places to go out of my way to come there, still, they were not going to except that coupon. Then a guy mopping the floor comes up to me and says, you got to read the fine print. So I left and went to Wishbone Chicken in Allen Park, told them the story and showed them the coupon, and they honored it. So thats where I go for chicken most of the time.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second Kathleen's recommendation. Zumba's is fresh, fast, and locally owned.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3897
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most Subways aren't that bad

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chili at Wendy's is actually pretty good for you. High in fiber, low in fat. Sometimes higher in fingers....

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chipotle is pretty good stuff.

www.chipotle.com

(Message edited by Scout on February 18, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5149
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another endorsement here for Zumba's.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicken Shack is way overated. Sure it's not vomit inducing but far from the Best fast food out there. KFC original recipe is soooo much better.

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never got the draw for Chicken Shack, either. When I first had some, it was at the praise of a friend that just raved about it. The first time I had it, I thought it was dry and stringy (chicken fingers). I've given them 2 other shots, and even switched to the ribs, which were tough and dry. It never ceases to amaze me how people line up at that joint for what I would consider not very good chicken/ribs...

Zumba's is very good/quick.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3946
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Castle, Telway, Bray's....

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harvey's makes a decent hamburger for a fast food place, but you will have to go to Windsor to eat at Harvey's as they do not have any Michigan locations.

I know several Americans who will go to Windsor just to eat at Harvey's (this fact is what led me to realize that they had no American locations).

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I try to avoid fast food, but as long as you're going Canadian on us, I think Tim Horton's (or Hortons as they like to spell it), U.S. locations included, does a passable chili and sandwich, and the muffins are a cut above what we get at most other breakfast places.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mi Tierra on Warren in Warrendale. It is not exactly fast food (although it is in an old A&W location) but they can get a takeout order together in about 5 minutes, so I think it qualifies. Delicious, fresh and much healthier than many fast food options. Check it out amigos.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had the fish taco at Mi Tierra and it was pretty good. I'm glad they're still around. They opened next to a Taco Bell, they had an SUV take out the corner of the building after a couple months of being open yet they still survive. They must be treating customers right.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2748
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bag of gut bombs out of Bray's gets my vote.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For sliders I gotta go with the Giant System on Van Born and Monroe in Dearborn Hts. Not a chain, just the one location.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genevas , on Harper east of Cadieux! good sliders

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Turkey Grill on Woodward, maybe 4 blocks north of Grand Blvd.

Soooo good. mmm those Cajun turkey "Wings" (I think they're legs, they're huge) make me miss Detroit. Spicy and juicy.

Very good food. Everything on the menu (from the homemade peach cobbler to the turkey stew) is good.

Reasonably priced, local ownership and healthy (compared to other fast food).

I used to order from there at least 1x per week when I worked in Midtown. You won't be sorry.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Melody's vote: Tubby's is by far my favorite fast food place. There is one at Washington & Lafayette downtown, and I also frequent one at M-59 & Elizabeth Lake Road in Waterford. Try a Steak & Cheese sub there.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the burgers from Château Blanc.
But why, if you have three or four fast food joints every mile, the White Castles are 20 miles apart?
What a shame. And not to mention the territory protection.
There is practically nothing north of 16 mile.
They ARE slow, but worth the wait.
When I lived out in LA, Calif. in the late 70's, my room mates girlfriend in college back in ILL. would send him notes on the opened slider boxes.
It was perfume to him.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Detroit I'ts SONIC TIME!!
Sonic Burger is coming to the Detroit area.
To open in Southgate @ Fort and Pennsylvania Rd.

You've seen the ads on cable for years, now you can get you some that grease.

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a place in the lobby at Cobo Hall called Simons. Great steak sub.

Cgrski
Username: Cgrski

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Hot & Blue. On VanDyke north of 14 Mile. Great pulled pork. Comes out fast and good. Not too expensive either.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.