Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Historical Society « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a heads up...I know from inside sources that the DHS will be out of $ in a couple years if things don't change.
They're a good team, but they just can't make up for the shortfall with the city withdrawing all their funding, and the small membership.
Now would be the perfect time to sign up for membership with the Detroit Historical Society or just visit one of the museums...if only because it doesn't look as if they'll be around in a couple years.
I'd like to say more but I can't incriminate myself or the person I've talked to.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deteamster, thanks for the gentle nudge. It was what I needed, I guess, to renew my old, expired membership. It cost me $40, completed online, and took about 4 minutes.

http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump
support the museum!

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deteamster...I can back up your words...as a former employee we were working doubly hard just to work on a daily basis.

Fundraising is hard right now and we put a lot of energy into the old Proposal K thinking it would solve our problems 7 years ago.

and to the those with whom I was in discussion with about that 20Mil bond passed on property taxes for the Museum when it was a city dept still - now do you see my point?

the city voted for and approved a bond that is still being taken on your prop taxes and none of that money is being used to support the museum now that they've given control to the DHS...

HELP HELP HELP - the city CANNOT afford to loose its history! think about where all the archives will go if this were to happen!

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I interned at the DHS's Collections Resource Center last summer and if you think all they have that is valuable is what is on display, you're wrong. They spent a good part of the summer moving valuable items from inadequate storage facilities at the Dossin Great Lakes Museum to the CRC and I was helping to organize and label them. Your dollars will do great work!

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just joined as a new member. I know it's only $40, but I hope it helps.

I think all of us who aren't members yet (or weren't until a minute ago!) should consider joining. It's a small price to pay to help preserve the history of the city we love.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2803
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can also support the Society by participating in their events, including tours, lectures, and special occasions. Check out the Things to Do page on their website: http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/thingstodo/index.asp or the current issue of their newsletter. And bring a friend or family member or two!!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad to hear this. Have been a member for a few years. What made me join was seeing what they could accomplish on such a little budget. It would definitely be a tough loss for the city.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, no need to be sad just yet. Let's just make sure to get the word out that they need our support!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4257
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to mobilize and get contributions and members!

I have thought about it for years, I will join today. I am sure others will as well, if they know the need

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you guys are great. More than anything the Society needs members. Membership is extremely low compared to smaller cities.

To say it would be sad for the city to lose the museums and society is an understatement. I'm sure we can all agree that any rebirth for the city will ultimately be linked to its history- people love Detroit for that reason: its richness of history and culture.
Our city has changed the course of history itself more than once. To lose our historical society would be a tremendous, tragic irony.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a member ... spread the word.

Click on "Join Us" at www.detroithistorical.org

Cuylerst
Username: Cuylerst

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You motivated me. I just became a "patron" and I'm from Chicago. I encourage everyone to join if you can.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 471
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just joined with a discounted student membership!

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 603
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Historical Society has just opened their On Line Museum Store as of today, April 25th.

Go to www.detroithistorical.org and click on "Shop On Line Now" on the first page.

Bob Cosgrove

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 tote bags, my oh my, what shall I buy! I would love to further support them besides membership. I do hope they have more items than that in the near future.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are also some Tiger Stadium items, like actual seatbacks, available in this online store. Plus, some books and Randall Higdon prints as well.

Karenk, did you click around the other items, or did you stop at the tote bags?

I bet if people respond to this online store in bigger numbers, they might expand the product offerings!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.