Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Satellite US 193 to be shot down « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 489
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So here is this spy satellite due to hit the earth March 6th if it isn't blown to bits just out of earths atmosphere sometime between now and then. There are many people wondering about the pentagons plan to fire a missile from a Navy ship in order to blow the errant satellite up. Is it because of the secrets it holds? Is it because of the dangerous hydrazine an board? Is it a show of strength? Is it to test a missile defense system? A good discussion is underway on http://www.spaceweather.com under the comments section of the lead story.

http://spaceweather.com/commen ts/indiv_thread.php?&thread_id =29&starting_point=0

I'm curious to see the results of this plan play out.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 925
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it due to hit Detroit?

Qweek

Post Number: 490
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know where it is due to hit, you can track it here:

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=29651

It did fly by here last night I think between 6:00 and 8:00p.m. I was busy or I would have been paying attention.

Give the tracking site a few minutes to load, lots of traffic i presume.

Qweek

Post Number: 491
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, didn't mean post on the Detroit section. Darn refresh button takes you back to the Detroit only side and without my reading glasses that tiny print looks like a blurr,

In the event this satellite hits Detroit I will feel better about my mistake and my failing vision.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 472
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Quack, maybe it's because it is projected to come crashing to Earth and potentially kill people upon impact.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2695
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Nah, they're trying to keep it out of the hands of the Russians and the Chinese.

Qweek

Post Number: 492
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch Kid, as I apply ointment to my blisters from your scathing come back I can't help but laugh. Many orbiting crafts have returned to earth without missiles being fired at them. Russia doesn't see the decision to fire a missile at the satellite an attempt to save lives either, read this..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 80216/ap_on_re_eu/russia_dead_ satellite

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of Skylab.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll probably hit Australia. They got Skylab.

Speaking of which, did anybody see Dogs In Space? :-)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A small town in Australia fined the US four hundred dollars for littering when bits of skylab landed there. So yeah, shoot it down and avoid more fines.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11638
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is certainly a show of strength.

How quickly you all forgot the biggest news item of 2007, when China knocked one of its own satellites out of the sky with a solid piece of metal rod.

They hit a moving bullseye with a supersonic dart...and the REAL seismic shock hit a few seat bottoms in the Pentagon. I'd bet a few of 'em are STILL wearing Depends-brand adult underthings.

So yeah, we're going to show them we can do it, too.

I don't think we've surfaced a submarine in the midst of their naval exercises or bumped a spyplane out of the sky, so the oddsmakers and scorekeepers are both pretty busy.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUSH: My fellow Americans. The military exercise to force down our own satellite failed a few hours ago. With our deepest apologies to the people of Canada, we respectfully request a moment of silence for all the people of Quebec, who awoke to a hydrazine cloud early this morning. Needless to say, we thank them for their sacrifices, which have allowed us to make some small progress with our SDI initiative, contributing to a freer and safer world for all ...

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they could hold it off until new years eve .....

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "China knocked one of its own satellites out of the sky with a solid piece of metal rod."

Yeah? prove it.. :-)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4565
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too remember the China satellite story.

You'd think they'd design these things with a built-in self-destruct system and some way to burn off the surplus hydrazine. That would be so much simpler.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might add to the expense, Jimaz. We can't have that!

Eastside_cat
Username: Eastside_cat

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually folks the big worry for us living in the islands is the toxic fuel frozen inside the object. It has the potential to liquify and land across the Hawaiian Island chain causing lethal fumes to spread down upon us, therefore the decision to try the shoot down, these ships (USS Lake Erie) out here will also get an opportunity to prove they can shoot down a REAL incoming target.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.npr.org/templates/s tory/story.php?storyId=6923805

Qweek

Post Number: 493
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Chinese blowing up their satellite, and the thought did cross my mind that the US is itching to flex a red, white and blue bicep because we think we can. The question is will we wind up with a red ass if this plan goes terribly wrong? Heads up!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might just be a test to see how good our defense contractors are producing US weapons, under the guise of danger danger.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.