Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Abandoned Car on Belle Isle « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last Sunday we took the dogs for our usual walk on Belle Isle. On the way out we took the Wildwood Drive short cut and came across a car in the parking area that looked like someone had taken a baseball bat to it. All the windows were broken out and the front doors were wide open and sprung. You couldn't miss it.

On the way out we stopped at the Police Station on the Island and I reported it to the officer at the desk. When I told him it was all bashed in he said that it was intact when they first saw it and reported it to the Abandoned Vehicle unit for pickup.

Today we were back on the Island for our dog walk and even though I was sure it would be gone we drove down Wildwood again to check. The car was still there. We slowed down a little this time to take a good look and the license plate is still on the car.

I guess my question is why would it take this long to get the car moved? I wonder how long it has been there and I'd really like to know the story behind this car. What would incite a person to do this kind of damage?

Has anyone else seen this car?

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 816
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What would incite a person to do this kind of damage?

Ever tried to fix a car in the middle of winter?

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would incite a person?

The answer is simple and found all over Detroit: those who cannot have, destroy.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 608
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go cops! It's your birthday!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ever tried to fix a car in the middle of winter?

hahah

this is why i don't keep bats around

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11634
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what the Big Diamond says now, too.

I'm sure it's in a text message somewhere.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 698
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chances are it's not the police dragging their feet, but the tow truck company the city has handling the area. If the car has little value the towing company has little incentive to pick it up. They have to pick it up, store it for months and go through the hassle of auctioning it off (assuming no one claims it). That or they can bill the City (LOL).

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes,
I would not expect immediate removal. Here in central Iowa, abandoned cars that die along side the roads (and don't get bashed in) may sit there for 2 weeks. Many have the telltale yellow tag on the car somewhere indicating it has been called in and is just awaiting pickup but the tow truck company probably does not get much for it, so paying customers are the priority.

The difference is that we don't bash our cars in. Des Moines has junk cars around, basically glorified abandoned cars, but they are left alone for the most part.

Patience grasshopper, patience.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Police still leave it up to the towing companies?
In the 80's I was a claims adjuster, handled ALOT of stolen car claims in Detroit.
When the car was recovered, we'd be sent to the tow company to inspect the car. Maybe. For awhile there were so many 'recoveries' Police would just call the owner and tell them where the car was, come and get it or call your Insurance Company. We often inspected cars abandoned on the streets.
I turned down those calls after being sent to YBI territory. Those kids with the street corner business(12-13 yr old?) said "po-lice" when they saw my camera and clipboard, my car had couple bullet holes before I got outa there.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 601
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long have you lived in Detroit?
I'm surprised you are surprised.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was Mrs. Kilpatrick last Sunday?

Is there any tangible record of this car being taken to the hospital? How many other cars were there with it?

If there were municipal vehicles or squad cars there with it, they may not be willing to talk about what really went down with this car.

On a serious note, I am really sad to read this thread. BI is one of my favorite places to go & relax. I hadn't noticed the car, since I don't often go on Wildwood. I hope it gets removed soon!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 607
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also check to see who is in the trunk.

Margarite

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, the sight of this car on BI just creeps me out. The island has always been kind of an escape from reality for me and we limit our visits to times when the island is not crowded or rowdy. We enjoy the scenery and the tranquility. This car intrudes on my little fantasy world and forces me back to the real world before we cross the bridge back.

Rel

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margarite,

All jokes aside, it's heart-breaking to read your post. I just made another call to DPD with the details. Maybe more calls will turn this into a squeaky wheel?

NE District DPD

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i parked near this car on saturday when i took my dog out to play around in the woods. i was surprised to see it there- i looked in the backseat and there was a box back there with someone's name on it from ypsilanti. i had my camera so i took some pictures, maybe i will post here tonite/tomorrow. this car should have been removed from the island immediately (although i am not surprised).

i was also surprised to have found that i parked right at the entrance of the "belle isle nature trail". we started down the trail and soon could not tell at all which way the trail went... i am assuming this is an archaic trail that has not been maintained in years.

Margarite

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boo, the trail we walk is on the other side of the island near the old zoo. It is well maintained and runs along the canal. It's about a mile round trip but you can shorten it using the bridges that cross the canal.

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is a picture of the car.

DY was giving me probs inserting the image (or i don't know what i am doing. either is possible)

Rel

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As difficult and ironic as it is to say this:

That is a beautiful picture, Boo.

Now, another call to the cops... join me?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.