Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Circus world « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was there a store called circus world, maybee around 8mi and gratiot, in the 70's? i have very vague memories of this as a child.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Circus World in Eastland mall in the 70s-80s.

Maryellen22471
Username: Maryellen22471

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a Circus World at Southland too.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 635
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and at Universal Mall...this is a rather vague thread.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were at the malls near Flint, too.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also at Tel-Twelve and Livonia Mall.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7114
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was once nearly busted by a truant officer while playing on the arcade game at the Circus World at Northland. It was during school hours. I had actually been on a legit reason to be at the mall and I even had a note signed by my teacher to pick up something for the class- it was the only thing that saved me from totally getting busted. My parents would've flipped if I had been hauled off by that guy. Luckily I had my note and the guy bought it. Phew.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm not mistaken, the signage for Circus World was still under an existing store sign at Universal Mall until probably the late 90's. I'm thinking back to being a child, but I seem to recall it was near Montgomery Wards, perhaps next to or across form Woolworths. Once MW closed, that side of the mall went dead and when the existing stores left, some vintage stuff was exposed including some old signs. If I am thinking right, the sign was in a very 70's yellow and orange motif. I'm probably the youngest person to remember Universal Mall as almost not a complete craphole.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.