Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Cafe Demongo's? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a thread around the summer time of 07 which mentioned a speakeasy type place next to the downtown synagogue near capitol park called Cafe Demongo's. Is this place open? Has anyone ever been there?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2248
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080205/B IZ/802050386/1001

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh good call. thanks.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went for the first time last week. It was a pretty fun time and the bar was packed.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's gotta be flying under the radar, judging by the "bathrooms." Good time. Open Fridays.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is a good time. I like the featured entertainment, larry is a nice guy

(Message edited by chi-taku on February 14, 2008)

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That place is a trip.
Especially the bathrooms.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernott- where is it, by the synagogue? is it nice?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's super nice. The bathrooms have walls of frosted glass so that you can see the siloutte of people using the facilities.

Also, There is a statue in the Men's bathroom. If you lift up the statue's skirt there is a button that triggers a neon sign in the dining room.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 740
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Larry Mongo the son of Aldoph?

Google up Larry and you'll find he is the guy sitting (for the last 12 years) on the development rights to the Metropolitan Building.

Pgn421

Post Number: 413
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what are the hours? parking?

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry and Adolph Mongo are brothers.
I like Larry. And Larry's wife, Diane, is a gracious host.

Adolph, on the other hand ... that guy's a little loopy, to say the least.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 742
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know Larry, but do know Adolph. "loopy" is the kindest word I could use to describe Adolph.

I look forward to stopping into Cafe D'Mongo on Saturday.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm a fairly regular dmongo's customer. good place. I'm worried for it to get TOO packed... I don't think Larry really does it for the money... more for the "fun" of having a bar every friday... he told me once if it got to popular he would close it down.

This is why I was kind of pissy when the paper ran that ill-informed "creative class" story... oh, well, we'll see what happens... On the bright side, I did like the picture of all my friends at the bar with the caption "Hipsters love D'Mongos" I gave them all shit for a week - that was hilarious.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm soooooo excited for tonight - I'm bringing a couple of my fraternity brothers to Dmongo's. I'm so glad the freep spilled the beans on this place!

Chitaku

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

d mongo is only open on friday. I'll be the man with the gee-tar

Pgn421

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i m bringing a crowd!Look Out!

Andylinn

Post Number: 733
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jfried, i think you're kidding, and i think you're hilarious.

Andylinn

Post Number: 734
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speaking of which chitaku, i think the detnews called you a hipster. :-) how do you feel about that?

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rednecks never think they're rednecks, and the same is true for hipsters -- they never think they're rednecks either.

:-)

Chitaku

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahahha hey andy if they think i'm a hip cat then so be it!

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

andy - seriously it was supersweet. we came straight from the pike house and we borrowed skinny jeans from the girls at delta phi so we totally fit in.

chitaku - you jam, but next time you need to play more dmb & definitely throw some creed in. and dude, we know andy is trippin. you're way too into sports to be a hipster. plus you're at the Y all the time. you're one of us.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks jfried! sadly though creed makes my ears bleed as does dmb. and i'm to fat for skinny jeans! sadly I got kicked out of the frat when they found out I was hangin' at the hipster bar. No more hazing for me :-(

maybe the creative class will let me in their clique!

(Message edited by chi-taku on February 16, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.