Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Old Cock N Bull location now occupied by Harbor House « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 507
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i noticed a couple weeks ago when i passed by the location, that it looked like it (or something) was in operation there. i meant to ask on the forum if anyone knew of the goings on, and forgot. looks like my question was recently answered on model d.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/harborhse13008.as px

has anyone been there yet?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, last friday, see Katrina the bartender,good food, good drinks

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the clientele like?

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is a "suburban price point"?

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sales have been increasing 20% a week" - From Zero

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember liking Harbor House as a kid. Visiting it 20 years later left a totally different impression. Can you say "Sweeden House with seafood"? A plate full of tempura shrimp revealed approxamately 10 salad shrimp and 1 1/2 pounds of batter. Yum. I can't imagine anyone over the age of 12 likes that place unless they're living in a trailer, married to their cousin.

But to be positive, in the picture the interior did look fairly nice. They mentioned the "suburban price point", and that they were trying to get away from the all-you-can-eat format. Hopefully they're trying to have a little more upscale establishment.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, as well as my friends, was there last weekend a couple of times...nice place. Is this Katrina a popular person? She seemed to have a crush on my friend...

Pgn421

Post Number: 407
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kevgo blue- I wasnt impressed with the food, shrimp were small, ribs werent that good.

Knocturnal-Katrina i met at Hard Rock, good personality, funny, and very cute, i think

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2318
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that not the exact same interior decor as when it was Cock N Bull? Maybe the interior has more of a story behind it...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5090
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sveden House, ROFL.

Forgot about that place.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its the exact same decor as when it was Tiffany's BEFORE it was Cock-N-Bull. all the stained glass goes with the name. somebody told me once it used to be a private club....

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3936
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Harbor House on Groesbeck was one of the most miserable dining experiences I've ever had. Overly breaded and battered seafood, not tasty, and greasy. Seems like everything was fried. Lousy salads with iceberg lettuce. Dirty floors and tables. Stark lighting. Worst of all, the place was packed with a loud, unkempt clientele, and it seemed like everyone was being herded through like cattle.

So, if this new location is exactly the opposite of the original, I'd be interested in going there.

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I went to this place one night around Christmas. I moved to Philly 3 years ago and was excited to get downtown. I met up with some friends at the new wine bar Enoteca. After that we went to the Well. I was with my wife and 3 other couples when this girl grabbed me and started dancing. She said "you're bald and ugly but I'll still dance with you!" I wasn't interested so I told her I was married and was with friends. She said "It's not like I want to have your baby!" and called me bald and ugly again. I wouldn't dance with her so she gave me the finger and walked off.
From there we went to what used to be the Cock n' Bull. There was no sign out front so we thought it was closed until we saw about 4 people sitting at the bar. They were really excited to see us. The owner was a young guy who said they had just opened and that he was in business with his parents. They offered us drinks but the taps were not yet operational. He was really chatty with us and asked what we thought of the place. My buddy told him it was just like the Cock n' Bull only no people which kind of embarrassed the poor guy. He really wanted us to try the food so one of the guys had ribs and the other had a prime rib sandwich. They said they were good. We only stayed for about an hour and no one else had come in so when we were leaving he offered us free shots and 1/2 price drinks if we stayed, but Lafayette Coney Island was calling.
A couple nights later I went to the Motor City Bowl and saw he had searchlights out front and seemed to be doing good business. I wish him well and plan on going back this spring when I'm back in town.

Skulmaty
Username: Skulmaty

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Groesbeck location was bad. Many heavy forks went there interested in quantity not quality.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421 - I would have to agree with you. I didn't talk to her personally, but my friend had told me that she works three different places downtown.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3866
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is a place Downtown for a place like Harbor House - not high end food, but good food

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 415
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does she also work at the Anchor Bar?

Fury13

Post Number: 3938
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is a place Downtown for a place like Harbor House - not high end food, but good food

As long as it's not low-end food, like they serve at the Groesbeck location. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to call what I ate there "food." After just a few bites, I couldn't eat any more, and I felt queasy the rest of the evening.

Pgn421

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think they are going to make it.Who knows.Forget the food Katrina is well worth the stop!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This great in that a longtime suburban location is investing in downtown.

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember an all-u-can-eat fried seafood restaurant called "Anchor Inn"? It would have been in the 60's to early 70's. There was one on Telegraph and West Chicago in the same shopping center with E.J. Korvettes, Chatham supermarket and McCrory's. I had my first hush puppy there!

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there on Sat. and if that was Katrina that was bartending she is worth a visit. I wouldn't have gone in but the owner or mgr. was walking the streets and handing out free drink cards. That was all I needed to delay my parties visit to the Detroit Film Fest @ Winter Blast. We were walking out of the Shilleleigh when he asked us if we liked free drinks. Of course and off we went. Nice on the inside, maybe 25 patrons.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place is great. They take pride in their community and their food and they take great care of their customers, especially regulars. Mickey and Katrina create a great atmosphere at the bar and the servers are all friendly.

Stop trashing the place before you've eaten there and be happy there's another dining/drinking option in Downtown Detroit!

Fury13

Post Number: 3970
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place is great. They take pride in their community and their food and they take great care of their customers...

So, you're saying that it's nothing like the Groesbeck location? Good, glad to hear that.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13 - three posts about how awful the Harbor House on Grosebeck is? What gives, did a waiter there steal your girlfriend/boyfriend?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13 - three posts about how awful the Harbor House on Grosebeck is? What gives, did a waiter there steal your girlfriend/boyfriend?

Fury13

Post Number: 3979
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Jfried, the experience was literally the worst I've had in a restaurant -- ever. Everyone in our party felt the same way. Rotten food, quantity over quality, loud, dirty, and a dubious clientele from what I saw.

Sure, it's cheap, but you get what you pay for. I suppose it's the KMart of seafood restaurants.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a Harbor House on 14 mile at Rochester Rd., N.E. corner back in the early 80's. The food was very good there, not all breading. They will have a much better chance downtown with a middle price point and quality over quantity game plan.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3942
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a market for food like that and Downtown could use one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.