Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Key Lime Pie? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which Bakery/Grocery Store in the metro area has the best key lime pie? I would like to pick one up for Valetine's Day.

(Message edited by jonesy on February 13, 2008)

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holiday Market in Royal Oak makes a pretty darn good one. They're about $12-15, and worth every penny.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11333
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The place in Greektown (bakery name escapes me) makes a good key lime pie.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 560
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Astoria or the new one, Europa, Jt1?

I love Key Lime pie and haven't had a good one in awhile.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Astoria!!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11334
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Astoria. Don't know if they sell it by the pie but I had a slice there a few months back and I was pretty happy. Of course walking to Astoria after a nice dinner for a cup of coffee and dessert always puts me in a good mood so that mey embellish the taste.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Astoria or the new one, Europa, Jt1? "

This brings up a question that I've been meaning to ask. Are these two places owned by the same people? Not long after Europa opened, I was in there on a Sunday morning. I was near the window and was surprised to see men in baker's clothing walk across the street from Astoria with trays of baked goods. Maybe they buy it from them? Or owned by the same people?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we can get Steve to drive his great truck from Brooklyn!

http://www.keylime.com/home.ht ml

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6306
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 places come to mind...

1) Josef's Bakery on Mack just north of 8 Mile (Vernier) in Grosse Pte. Woods.

2) By the slice Nino Salvaggio's makes an excellent one that is a cross between a Key Lime Pie and Cheesecake. Closest Nino Salvaggio's store to Detroit is 11 Mile & Harper in SCS.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might be expensive but Tom's Oyster Bar has a great Key Lime Pie.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Room for Dessert in Grosse Pointe Woods has the BEST pies by Far. Our Fav IS the Key Lime Pie...My wife and I try the Key Lime Pie where ever we go and this is the best we have found. It also helps that they are at the end of our street !

Room For Dessert
20445 Mack Ave
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236

(313) 884-8470

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's maybe a bit late for V-day by now, but you might be able to get Cecilia Mercante to make you one. She is the wonderful French pastry lady sho sells at Eastern market, and her pastries are fantastic.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 486
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter, where in the Eastern Market.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sells out of the cafe next to Flat Planet pizza, on the corner or Russell and the Gratiot service drive - I keep forgetting the name of the place. I've never seen her make one before, but you can ask. I took a raspberry meringue torte and a sachertorte home for Christmas that were phenomenal (especially the meringue), and not very expensive, either. She has a web site at www.ceciliaspastries.com

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom's Oyster Bar and Dylan's Raw Bar and Grill (the original Tom's in Grosse Pointe) have excellent Key Lime pie and it's all home made by the wife of the guy that owns Dylan's.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Key Lime Cheesecake at Astoria, too. It's deeeeeeeelicious!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.