Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » WTO rules against China on auto parts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3484
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally! Hopefully it's not too little, too late.

WTO rules against China for first time

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And how many other WTO rulings has China ignored?

This means nothing.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 561
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am all for free trade - but also fair trade.

I firmly believe we don't do what we could - we're China's biggest customer, we should make sure the playing table is fair.

After all, we're funding their industrial revolution (and more worrisome, their military expansion) and as the customers we should not let China ignore WTO.

40% of the world's wealth is here and sometimes we act like we have nothing.

Our government doesn't stand up for our workers or our businesses - it's B.S. that a Chinese company can open up here with no restrictions (or few) and our companies have to partner with local ones or even worse, the government. If you want to sell your product in China, as I understand it, it has to be made in China.

What a crock of a double standard.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3489
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And how many other WTO rulings has China ignored?"

um, none

this is the first time they've been ruled against

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The American people have been bought and sold by our slimy politicians. Clinton and Bush in particular.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11620
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UncaFrank,

It is "STOLEN and SOLD".

If we had been bought, we'd have SOMETHING to show for it!

Cheers.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real bottom line here is that GM & Fords Mexican and Korean Auto parts Mfg plants are being discriminated against thru the No Imports practices of China....

IOW it ain't costing no USA jobs, they left years ago.....

regards

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5083
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Democratic critics of the Bush administration's trade policies also charge the imbalance with contributing to millions of lost American manufacturing jobs. Since the Democratic Party takeover of the U.S. Congress in 2007, the Bush administration has initiated cases against China over product piracy and restrictions on the sale of American books, CDs and DVDs. Another dispute over Chinese government subsidies in manufacturing was settled out of court.

I'm glad somebody is finally standing up to this, though I'm sure it's small potatoes. Neither the Dems nor Reps have shown any desire to address our trade and job losses in any real way. I think that goes against the desire of those who both parties really cater to.

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The printing industry is very large here. It's only a matter of time before it, too, moves to China. It's slowing happening already and will cost us many many jobs.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5089
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to do a press check from the other side of the planet, and electronic proofs just don't cut it for color.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These kinds of stories are laughable and the reaction are usually even better.

Who do you think has come before the WTO more in the last 20 years, the US or China. Don't forget that US had the same rulings against it for the Byrd Amendment and the Timber. The US is not beacon of way to do business.

Everyone wants to complain that these other countries are doing dirty business when the US is no different. In fact I believe the US was involved in over 50% of the WTO rulings in past 10-20 years. And no they were not the complainer.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3490
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL many high end photography based books have been getting printed in China for a while now. They were among the first to be done there due to cost factors.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5095
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm. As an art director, I would NOT sign off on a job without a hard copy proof. I guess they'd have to mail me a proof from China.

I'm very happy with my printers in the area, and feel they do a quality job. Each one has their strengths, and I am able to get good rates by choosing the right printer for the job. This is not the beginning of the print industry facing these challenges, they have been going through it for some time. The ones that have survived are quite competitive.

Also, I often need jobs turned around VERY fast. I doubt a company in China can have a print run done for me and delivered three days after I submit artwork. I don't think local printers are completely replaceable.

A photography book may be easier to offshore, since there isn't going to be any real strict deadline on it's publication. That doesn't work for the type of things I've been involved with.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.