Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anyone else having trouble with television reception/Comcast « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wakeupdetroit
Username: Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone else out there having trouble with their tv/Comcast digital reception?I live near the New Center/North End area of Detroit. For the last several months I've noticed my reception has been getting worse .It started with static/'frying' when watching a few channels.Now most of my stations are blurry and I get the 'frying'/static.In order to have the cable channels come in clearly I have to turn my VCR on.I thought it was just my reception or my set but others have said they get the same interference.I don't know if it's Comcast or trouble with the area or something to do with the electric lines or signal from DTE.I mention DTE because I was in the Gratiot payment center and noticed that the sets there were doing the same thing as my set.
Anyone else having this problem?Any suggestions on what I should do or whom I should contact?Thanks!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comcast sucks!
welcome

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would call Comcast myself. 1-800-266-2278. I had a similar problem, and they came out and changed the cable attached between the TV and the cable box. Go figure, it was the same cable they put on a couple weeks earlier.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3476
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I had that problem it was because too many subscribers were patched off of the same cable, causing too much signal drop (or so I was told). They ran an extra line off the pole to the house. Our connectors on the house are exposed to the weather and I occasionally still get break up when it's really wet outside.

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Comcast sucks!•••" Gsgeorge I'm sadly discovering how true that is :-(. I should have stayed with DirectTv.
Gazhekwe I've made several calls over several months.An appt.is always made.That usually results in one of two things. 1..Technichian comes out and says there's nothing wrong. or 2.I receive a call before scheduled appt.saying a new signal has been sent and the problem clears for awhile.Comcast only seems to want to band-aid the problem.
Lipup,did you have to request that they check the pole/connectors?I ask so I'll know what I should say on my next call requesting service.
Thank you all for responding :-).

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon me. I meant Lilpup

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3478
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a matter of elimination. I had already swapped out the box at their office, had had them come out to check and they cleaned up the connectors on the house, had called and had them check for water in the line while the signal was actively breaking up, etc. It took quite a few tries until one service guy finally checked further down the line and saw how many taps were in place.

The name of the game is persistance.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone use their QAM tuner for HD and digital channels with Comcast in the city? I'm looking for a channel list (they're all over the place, i.e ch 84-1 through 84-8). It seems like on Mondays I only get analog cable. Sometimes the digital goes out after it rains. WTF is that? Comcastic!

(Message edited by enduro on February 13, 2008)

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you again Lilpup:-)

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Enduro I haven't made the leap to HD yet.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2947
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll get better answers on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb /

They have threads for both Digital cable and Local Detroit HDTV reception.

Digital Cable Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb /forumdisplay.php?f=35

Local HDTV/cable reception:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb /forumdisplay.php?f=45

Detroit specific including QAM info:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb /showthread.php?t=453486

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comcast ran a new cable thru my neighbors yard, over their swimming pool, figuring it was easier instead of working their way thru one single tree in my backyard. Neighbor called to get it moved, which I totaly agree they should not have ran it over the pool in the first place. I was not home when they came to move the cable, so they just cut the cable right at my house. My neighbor even said, you can;t do that and the comcast guy said too late. Comcast said I should have been home for the appointment my neighbor made.

Comcastic!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have cable, but I've run into problems with Comcast and how crappy they run lines. I had one line across the back of my property that dipped so badly that I had a hard time getting the mower out into the alley to mow the grass.

When I called Comcast they told me to call DTE and if it was not their line, they would come out. DTE came right away to check on it and told me 'thats the cable' to which I replied, "yes I know, Comcast said to call you." This wasted DTE's time and energy.

So I called Comcast back and they scheduled someone to come out and fix it. When they did not show, I called them to see when they were going to come out, and they had no record of my call because I don't have an account. This went on for months. I was even told by one customer service person that the surest way to get something to happen would be to cut the cable myself! Not wanting to piss off my neighbors, this was not an option so I asked to speak to a manager. After another month or so, it was fixed.

I'm never going to pay for service from those jokers.

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Ndavies I'll check those sites.
Detoitplanner & Detroit_pride that sounds just about right for Comcast.My experience with the company has been anything but Comcastic:-(

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

comcast also just got caught spying and tracking customer's user patterns and for cacheing their web use...

they claimed they could do it since they offer on demand (for money). if people are downloading movies they wont order movies from on demand...

they violated some law re: cable privacy law or act from like 1984...

Enduro

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Ndavies, I didn't see the actual QAM channel list but that is a nice resource. I'd been there before but never saw a thread that dealt with the city. I just thought there wasn't a big enough nerd populace! Nice to know there's a support group out there.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comcast put in a new truck line through my neighborhood in SCS last fall. This was supposed to improve the quality of service in the area, which previously did not have any issues. Well as Murphy's Law would have it, part of the new trunk line was bad, so now whenever it rains a bunch, some of my digital channels like to pixelate and mute. Way to screw up an otherwise cool situation with an "upgrade."

Enduro

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They seem so inept. I recall a Comcast vs. DirecTV ad coming on in the middle of a show, the show ends and then the national ad spots aired (the ones that Comcast was stepping on to pimp themselves). Comcastic indeed!

I was checking out AT&T's U-Verse that is being offered in parts of Detroit now. Tons of HD channels, 3 HD boxes (one being a DVR) and internet for around 70 bucks. Since we all seem to hate Comcast, I ask the question does anyone have this service yet?

https://uverse1.att.com/un/lau nchAMSS.do

Clayton
Username: Clayton

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comcast is the biggest piece of shit. It's probably the worst public service company I've ever dealt with. Don't bother making an appointment with them, they won't show up.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 572
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't help having some fun with one of their 'ditch the dish' commercials.

"Ditch the bitch but keep the dish" :-)

Just trying to be humorous. Don't take it seriously.

I've had DirecTV for over 12 years and will never give it up. I get to watch the Tigers on DirecTV's Extra Innings package even though I live a plane ride from Michigan.

(Message edited by emu_steve on February 17, 2008)

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U-verse has a huge limitation for HDTV. They only currently allow you to receive 1 HD channel into your house at a time.

If you're an HDTV watcher this is a deal killer. You can't watch one channel while you record another. You can't watch something on your TV, if someone in another room is watching a different show.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb /showthread.php?t=994350&highl ight=u-verse

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't had a problem with Comcast service people keeping their appointments. Some of them don't seem to have a clue what they are doing, though. Same for the telephone reps. Some are great, but you can't be sure of getting a great one. I have had to make a lot of service calls. I have phone, TV and internet service from them. I had problems with the ATT phone line for more than a year before I switched.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "They only currently allow you to receive 1 HD channel into your house at a time"

There's nothing on HD anyway, unless one likes to watch discovery 24 hours a day. The rest of the shows are just crap. Awesome way to view, but seriously lacking content.

Many of the channels that some carriers claim are HD are just converted from analog or something. The picture looks like analog quality. Something made for HD, looks like it. Crystal clear, like Discovery HD.

Comcast? I'm suprised they haven't been class action sued into receivership. Avoid them like the plague.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comcast is awful. I have had similar problem with them in the past, having to change lines, and having weak signals. Their reps seem clueless, and even if you have an account, they seems to not have a record of your complaints, and never seems to know what the right had is doing. If it is available in your area, I suggest you switch to WOW, they have much better customer service, and the quality of their cable and internet is much more reliable.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my parents to switch to WOW after 20+ years with Comcrap. It hasn't been installed due to the outside weather and snow on the ground. They have to run a new cable from the curb in so it will be early spring, understandable. We went for the phone, cable and internet for $100. Rep says with taxes bill should run $105-$110 a month. I did ask about 6 month introductory rates and that kinda baloney and he said no. The rates are guaranteed till 2010. He said they could go up $10-15 per month then. Hell, Comcrap just raised our bill $10 so that dont sound bad.
I always loved Comcraps commercials about rain and wind affecting dish customers. Hell! Our picture turns pixelated and goes out when its a clear sunny day! And Comcraps OnDemand service...Ha Ha Ha. The Space shuttle, Moon and Earth have to be aligned for that to work without problems.

(Message edited by One Shot on February 17, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, my Comcast has always worked great. Just more expensive than I would like.

Enduro

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any other issues with U-Verse, Ndavies? I've only got one HD set right now (will get another for the bedroom soon) but that's not a deal breaker for me. At the very least I'll bring this to the table of Comcast service retention peeps (check out consumerist.com).

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Ditto on all the C.C. complaints, switched to a dish type setup, what a difference. Never knew channels could be so clear, Albeit,mostly European snowshoveling competition type content, still well worth it.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4583
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I discovered we were renting a cable box we didn't need. It was originally used to receive a music service that Comcast no longer provides.

What sparked the discovery was that the PBS channel was barely audible. Comcast said we needed an upgraded cable box to fix that. So I took the box out of circuit to exchange it and just for kicks connected the cable directly to the TV. Without the box everything worked fine including PBS.

So, effectively we had been paying $7/month for a PBS attenuator! Doh!

I haven't had any complaints about Comcast yet but I have had indications giving me the impression they're trying to cut costs.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Im off topic here WakeupDetroit, but how do you like that area? I have been fixated with Oakland Avenue for some time.The Northend is rich in gangster history, and a bathouse from 1930 still stands. I have been to Parks barbecue on Beaubian and have researched the history of the buildings as well as taking many snapshots of the Ave. I would reccomend reading a book and leaving the television off. Cable is too addicting and distracting.btw, eventually I am going to have a home computer system; how much is a cable-internet hookup?

Wakeupdetroit

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Terryh I like the area.It's central to all the x-ways.I'm just a stone's throw from the DIA,CW musuem,Main Library,Fisher,downtown proper,etc. The area is 'morphing'everyday IMO.
I had no idea of the 'gangster' history but am not at all surprised.It just seems to be part of life in a large urban city. I've been here for a little over 12 years. Parks is hit and miss with me when I go there.
As far a the reading,I do more than my fair share of that thank you very much:-).
As for the cable-internet hookup you'll be wise to shop around. I had Comcast high speed(which I loved). It worked fine but started giving me trouble. I had the tech. out and he told me that I wasn't supposed to have it.It wasn't in the area yet!WTH?was my reaction. I ordered from Comcast,was told that it was available in the area,was billed for two months only to be told it was a mistake.To add insult to injury after I cancelled it I got a call from Comcast trying to sign me up for the service. I explained what had happened with the highspeed only to be told that it was(and had been for awhile)available in my area! I guess my advice would be to try to avoid Comcast for your cable-internet hookup. I regret switching to Comcast from DT.
Thank you all for your responses:-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.