Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Onion pokes fun at Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone see this new $150 improvement?

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/news/3_by_4_plot_of_green_sp ace

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 945
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I hate to say it, this is some really funny stuff! It is written quite a bit like the fluff pieces we see often with small developments around here.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The folks running the Warrendale BLOG are fine with it:

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5157
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can feel the synergy rising already...

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE the Onion. They mention (make fun of) Detroit quite a lot actually. That photo doesn't look like Warrendale, though, ha.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5130
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aren't there a couple of patches like that on grand around the Fisher?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11614
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure at least one of their writers has to be from here. There've been pieces in the past that simply couldn't have been written without local insight! (I'd bet if we track that Heller boy down, he'd know who it may be...)

quote:

a little green would do our neighborhood good

You wonder what green these folks're talking about?!

Isn't that 'charming and desirable place to live' actually...San Francisco?!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another great article:

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/node/46937

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh, I've been on that street. Where is it where is it? Not Warrendale, not Michigan. Is it San Francisco?

Gannon

Post Number: 11616
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one that I meant!

That picture from Brush Park is perfect...too fucking funny, the quote from Kwame M. Kilpatrick.

Got to get what you can, while you can.

Pretty sure that was also the line from the bigtime promoter brought on mid-movie in Almost Famous.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God, I wish Warrendale looked like that.

Gannon

Post Number: 11617
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is more what I'm talkin' about...

...and THIS one is fucking amazing...

...I've MET this fellow...

...sometimes OUCH!...

...but probably my favorite!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ugh, I've been on that street. Where is it where is it? Not Warrendale, not Michigan. Is it San Francisco?

It's definitely New York.

After looking at the "Sunset Linen" sign, I decided to try Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The place next to it has the address 5807. The street has a median...4th Ave has a median. Try 5807 4th Ave, and it comes back to an address in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

I bet I got it.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2671
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm pretty sure the first one is Brooklyn as noted by Focusonthed. The second photo (the "after" of the before/after shot) looks like Georgetown, DC.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definitely agree with your contention that one of the writers is from around here, Gannon.

Note the name Lauren Esselman in the 2’nd article you posted - an obvious nod to local author Loren Estleman.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my personal favorite:

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/news_briefs/magglio_ordonez_ placido

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The second photo (the "after" of the before/after shot) looks like Georgetown, DC.

I concur.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Onion uses stock photos for the most part. When talking about college they use a photo of the Natural Sciences Building @ UM.

The Onion, by and large, cracks me up.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5159
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They moved from Madison after being there since it started in a UW-Madison Lakeside dorm (Tripp?) to NYC fairly recently. They once had (maybe still do) sales offices on about a dozen campuses. Getting stock footage of many places wouldn't be hard.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to add this one:
http://www.theonion.com/conten t/news/gm_introduces_new_2008_ line_of

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know warrendale was full of factories..lol..guess i missed something the 18 years i lived there.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3889
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photo at the bottom is most definitely Georgetown, DC (M Street at 31st Street). Second door from the left is Mr. Smith's, where Tori Amos used to play piano, and home of half-price burgers on Tuesdays.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 535
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...mechanic Kevin Miles, who was evicted from his tenement apartment after his rent tripled almost overnight.

They have tenements in Warrendale?

Gannon

Post Number: 11621
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, thanks Dan!

Great link to Ms. Amos back-in-the-day.

Must've been one angry room...she's mellowed with age.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would love to visit this warrendale, since i guess i have never been there.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Onion is awesome, They treat their writer very well, they give them crack as year end bonuses.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.