Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » JL Hudson's 'Action Age' Magazine « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for copies of Action Age magazine published by Hudson's during the mid to late '60's that featured Detroit high school student models. Does anyone have any copies or remember this rag?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no vested interest in the outcome of this thread, but never have I so quickly gotten the fuckin' creeps from a posting.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother was a model for Hudson’s; I will ask her about this, it may very be where she started.

On a side note, my grandmother worked in the downtown store in the alterations department for 30 years. She had many great stories, and proud moments working for the store, she was the personal tailor for Eleanor Ford, and she spent a whole month, every year prior to Christmas working on the costumes for the parade and Christmas floor. She past away at 91, one year ago today.

(Message edited by dan on February 13, 2008)

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dan for your story. Action Age featured Detroit high school students as models (I was one of them) each month, and it was a great experience. Their studio was in Highland Park on Buena Vista between Woodward and Second. It was awesome, especially for a youngster like myself looking for identity.

If you find something, let me know.

Thanks.

PS: To Ravine, STFU

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother worked as a photographer contracted to Action Age at JLH. I don't think he'll mind my reprinting this correspondence:

I recall the years I worked with Brian Centner the photographer from 1968 to 1971. He had a lot of gigs with JLH. We often were in the building downtown. The offices were in the "tower" section of the building. There was also a small theatre there used by the advertising department. One year (1969 ? ) I was assigned to spend the summer shooting young people and their avidities for the new Action Age Magazine that was to debut that fall. I spent the summer shooting an unlimited amount of film. Fireworks, concerts, young people everywhere. A lot of my victims were friends and family. In the fall these images were assembled into what was termed a multi-media show for advertisers and suppliers in the little theater upstairs at JLH. When we arrived they had young female "hippies" dressed in long flower child dresses putting "love beads" on every guest (still have mine). All the while music from "Hair" was playing in the background. (think Age of Aquarius') After everyone was seated they began the slide show which were probably 75% my images. It was set up with three slide projectors operating simultaneously on the large screen. There would be multiple images appearing on different sections of the screen at the same time. Once again this was accompanied by a coordinated sound track. Pretty advanced technology for its day. I made very little money for this gig, but had a whole lot of fun doing it. It was impressive to see my work presented in such a visually exciting format. The magazine lasted a few years and then the summer of love thing was pretty much gone and the company went in a different direction. All the images I shot that summer were slides with no copies and belonged to JLH, so the only images I have in my possession are a few seconds. Somehow during that time I obtained a copy of a print taken by another photographer. It was taken from the "tower" looking towards the river with a fish eye lens. I guess now it would be considered historical...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.