Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Lafayette Towers Scandal « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my first post, and I think a worthy one. As people here have noted, the Lafayette Towers have been sold, and the group that took over is acting every inch the corporate giant. Details below (this is taken from my blog, originally, and from an email from a reader):

I've been posting for some time about the sale of the Lafayette Towers and have been very open about being a resident here. In my most recent post once the sale had become final, I mentioned how I had not seen the regular staff since the switchover occurred at the close of business on Friday.

I also speculated about the true ownership, as the Northern Group's name was not included in the memos we received nor were they listed as being the new owners anywhere (instead, it was listed as "Lafayette Tower Realty LLC").

I received an email from a fellow resident giving me the FULL details, and all I can say right now is that I am both shocked and appalled.

Below you will find a complete transcript of the email I received, as I would not be able to recount the details any better myself. Suffice it to say at this point, I am disgusted with the company that has taken over this beautiful property that has had such a wonderful sense of community, largely as a result of the fantastic property managers and the warm, welcoming staff. As a previously very satisfied resident, I almost feel as if a confidence has been betrayed, and I no longer feel the affection for my residence that I once felt. To an outsider, this might sound a bit dramatic, but to those who live here you know exactly what I mean.

Here's what really happened: "In short, The Northern Group has incorporated the Lafayette Towers LLC to act as the "owner" of the towers and has hired The Meridian Group to manage the property. To the best of my knowledge they will retain George, Carmen, Lolita and Brendalyn (not Delbert) in the front office for at least the transitional period, if not indefinitely.

'The owner Dan Levin (Chicago-Habitat) put the property on the market, not because of foreclosure or default, but because he is aging and probably tiring; the company was not profiting, but the owner was trying to maintain. The Northern Group, to my understanding, led the Habitat Co. to believe that they were going to employ the current staff (door staff, grounds and maintenance, etc.) and the Habitat Co. thought it was transferring the property to a responsible firm. As of Friday, they (the Meridian Gruop notified) Carmen and staff that they were all being dismissed, which came as an utter shock to those who believed the transition would be seamless.

'Ms. Peterson, who has worked at the building for over 21 years, was told that she was no longer needed towards the end of her shift. William, the evening doorman, was notified during his shift, and Carmen had to call Earl, the studious, late-night doorman to tell him not to bother coming in that evening. Meridan also took it upon themselves to contract another security company whose employees showed up at the parking lot gate and told the current sub-contracted employees that they were being replaced. This is horrible.

'What company would come in, without any current transplantable employees, and disrupt what would otherwise be a smooth-running operation? Someone either very arrogant and heartless, or somoene very rash and stupid . . . or all of the above. They said that the acquisition agreement didn't stipluate the retention of current staff. Whether it did or didn't is irrelevant. What happens to ethics and sense of responsibility? I felt very comfortable and satisfied with the current staff. Now I question my overall level of safety as well as other issues. I will probably need help in possibly getting signatures of residents for a petition and possibly going to the media. I am considering starting a monetary collection for Ms. Peterson and others, but we can see how things unfold over the next few days.

'I tried joining the blog Discuss Detroit (but didn't know how to do it-couldn't find the join button), because they have a bunch of comments regarding the sale of the Lafayette Towers and it is obvious that people don't relaize what is going on here by their statements. If you could join it and either paste my accompanying letter to it along with your comments I would greatly appreciate it. People need to know the harsh reality of what is potentially a harsh takeover and that it benefits only a few, not the staff, who are now unemployed (in today's economic climate). And the management company and the Northern Group need to realize that they are not saving a delapidated building filled with uneducated and unresourceful people who don't embrace the jewel that we have from abandonment and neglect."

My neighbor has echoed the exact sentiments I am also feeling now. This feels just like every other trashy corporate takeover in history, where long-time and well-loved employees are treated as widely expendable, and the "customers" (or residents, in this case) are treated like blind lemings. This is NOT the community-minded firm they presented themselves as being. This is NOT the well-managed property that cares about its residents and employees as one cares about their own family. This is NOT the treatment that drew in those of us who moved here and those of us who have stayed here. This is NOT acceptable to anyone who lives here and loves it here for all of the reasons that made it so desirable, beyond just great architecture and gorgeous views!

Please help me get the word out. And if we can't get our old staff back and receive the same community-minded treatment that we did before, then we can certainly start contacting every other major developer, property management firm, and Detroit housing company and see if we can't put together a nice lease buy-out package for every resident in these towers--if we're now merely the minions of a faceless corporate entity, then let's empty these fuckers out and show them just how blind we lemings are!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unreal. I loved living at Lafayette Towers so much, that I was currently considering moving back there at the end of my upcoming lease...until now.

The staff at the Towers was as good as any I had ever dealt with. Delbert, George and the entire staff was always very friendly and on top of any situation the residents needed assistance with. The door staff was always friendly and became the friendliest of greetings after a long day at work.

I truly feel bad for the former staff, and now for the residents. I get the feeling that the property may start to slide, if this is how things are truly going to happen over there.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5143
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Golden Rule

He who has the money makes the rules.

BTW, the Northern Group are the same people planning to sell the Penobscot and to develop that block by Campus Martius. They own other Detroit properties.

They're not doing anything illegal, AFAIK. So live with it!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 557
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I generally don't believe a story from one side - I've also never seen a residential property transfer without some disgruntled folks and some shake-ups, big company or not.

I used to live in a couple of apartment buildings and the politics were atrocious over the stupidest stuff - people would get their feathers ruffled all the time over everything.

It's one thing I don't miss about living in a building with lots of others - but you won't ever find me living in a condo association, either.

It's good to see both sides of a story - but the reality always lies in the middle. I wouldn't predicate a decision on anything from one source.

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Golden Rule

He who has the money makes the rules.

"BTW, the Northern Group are the same people planning to sell the Penobscot and to develop that block by Campus Martius. They own other Detroit properties.

They're not doing anything illegal, AFAIK. So live with it!"

Just because it's not illegal doesn't mean it is right; and no you don't have to just live with it. Many companies go under because they don't know how to treat their employees and their customers. Yes, the people with the money make the rules, and the consumers are the ones with the money. If the tenants don't like the service they are receiving, you're suggesting they just live with it? Man, I'd love to be your landlord. :-)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5151
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renting an apartment, like many other purchases of good or services, is an auction. The owner would like a certain rent to be paid. If a renter agrees to that price, fine. It's a deal.

However, if that price is too high and there is nobody willing to lease at that price, a sensible owner or manager (his agent) would lower the price until it attracted one or more renters. And on and on it goes until most or all (hopefully) the apartments are rented...

If the initial rent or any subsequent lower rents is too much for you to pay, tough. As in an auction, you were outbid. Just like on The Price is Right.

As to managers and supers: It's the owners right to hire or retain whomever they choose. Unless having a certain staff was part of the rental agreement, the renters are shit out of luck whenever the management makes any changes.

If the previous owner wasn't making a profit, expect the new owner to make rate increases when the leases are up. Again, an auction will occur if that happens. Just like before. If the added freight is too much, move on.

It's really as simple as that.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4434
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the hell is this a scandal?

Big deal, they own the place and they can do what they want. If they start losing residents and thus money, I'm sure they'll reconsider their ways. But I'm sure they have a plan to make things better because they want to have residents and money.

Dtales, welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid an email from one Laf. Towers resident doesn't convince me that this is scandalous or even bad.

(Message edited by mackinaw on February 13, 2008)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6550
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW - The join button you couldn't find is at the top, right after ">CLASSIFIED ADS" but before "SEARCH".

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11613
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this explain the gestapo security a friend reported on his last visit there?

This is more than a management takeover...it presented a whole new experience for this fellow. One that certainly spread negative vibes throughout any and all who experience or observe it...

...and now perhaps a few more through the ether.

I've heard nothing but good about this Northern Group, I would bet they had a good reason for it.

Except their main culprit likely moved out of state. Ahem.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This doesn't sound like a scandal. It sounds like business. Come back in 3 months if the level of service provided decreases drastically. My thought is, if they can save some money on the luxuries of a doorman and security then they'll have some more cash on hand to fix the real problems when they arise, like a broken elevator.

Doorman, security, etc., those are luxuries and are not free.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am highly suspect that the owner of Habitat would care enough about the staff at LT to actually specify in the sale that they must be retained. While they may hold a special place in your heart, I am sure he doesn't even know or care about who they are.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Womp womp.... Dtales might be a troll. S/He hasn't come back to comment yet.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtales is many things, but hardly a troll!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats a troll?

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those dollish figures that were popular in the early 90s. They featured wacky colored hair and different outfits, there was an army troll, a groom and bride troll, a doctor troll, etc.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my my, what a callous bunch you guys can be. awfully easy to tell someone to "just get over it" when you're looking on the outside in.

the point is that the lafayette towers is a community. there are expectations formed on thirty years of the same management. many people have lived there for years, some for decades. it is upsetting and a little clueless of the new owners to abruptly change things over night. and this isn't a restaurant where you just stop eating at, this is people homes that are locked into leases.

now, how about the human aspect of this, which i believe is dtales main point. these doorpeople have been around for years. have been loyal employees and have done a great job greeting every single resident on their way home at night or on the way to work in the morning. to just be s#!t canned like that is disreputable. same goes for the people working in the office. they made an extra effort to provide quality service and extra ammenities that they didn't have to.

the point is that these people worked very hard to make this complex a home and community. most residents became friends with them and never got the chance to even say goodbye. i mean how many of you would take the attitude of "oh, that's just big business, i'll just have to get over it" if a coworker/friend of many years suddenly was fired never to be seen again?

thirdly, i can promise you that the residents are not going to "just get over it" or to change their attitudes. this is one of the reasons why i've stayed in the city; every place i've lived there has always been a strong sense of community. if there is something or someone that is disruptful then everyone bans together to make things right. detroiters are not ones to just leave or accept things, and i can tell you that towers residents are no exception. there is already a neighborhood group [LP50] that is comprised of all the communities surrounding the park. in fact, i would recommend any towers residents that are upset by this to join (if you haven't already) and voice your concerns with them. they are probably the best route to get any attention and know the right channels [this is, of course, after you've exhausted talking to the new management].

lastly, i too can attest that dtales is not a troll. frankly, there is no just cause for that accusation. everyone here does not hang on this forum every few hours everyday. plus, this is voicing a concern about a community within the city. it's not instigating people, it's not calling for a boycott, there's no personal attack, no pointless bickering. it might be a tad sensational in it's presentation, but it's completely understandable given the frustrations of the circumstance. i mean really, some people around here need a serious dose of empathy.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5169
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yawn! So, some Rip van Winkles are finally waking up after thirty years of being pampered while the city around them has gone to excrement. They wake up and they refuse to accept the stark reality that they won't be babied any longer by their new landlords.

These same landlords, who just a very few weeks ago were widely praised by the DY community after KK gave them a whole city block downtown by Campus Martius for a whole dollar when they said that they might build something there and have it open 46 months into the future (nearly four years!).

Somehow, I detect a strange double standard being applied here by some of those overly ultrasensitive misguided types...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5093
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

some Rip van Winkles are finally waking up after thirty years of being pampered while the city around them has gone to excrement.

Translation - Residents who previously enjoyed their living conditions and the service they paid for are now upset that things may worsen under new management.

quote:

They wake up and they refuse to accept the stark reality that they won't be babied any longer by their new landlords.

Translation: Unhappy with the current situation, residents may decide to start a petition asking for their former staff to be re-hired, in order to express to the new owners how they feel, in hopes their suggestions may be taken into consideration.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11623
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dtales is many things, but hardly a troll!

Took me a moment, but yes, I concur. (why it didn't dawn on me whose voice I was reading until S'Gay spoke up is beyond me!)

Hardly a troll at all. Diametric opposite, in fact. Welcome, 'tales. Always a nice tail, do tell.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that it's a shame people have to lose their jobs, especially people who have worked there for many years.

My point is that none of these buildings really make much money at all. My knowledge of rents at LT is that they are not particularly high and generally considered a good deal. I think many people paying the same amount of rent would love to have a doorman and security, but don't. So for a landlord to make a decision to save some money on these luxuries in order to shore up the buildings finances is a reasonable business decision.

Rsa

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mbr; there are still doorpeople and security, just different people or companies. i suppose the worst part about it was the manner in which they made the change.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11754
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like it or not, this is big business. I've worked at many places where people have been fired and you never get a chance to say your goodbyes. Hell, in most situations security has escorted them to the door, in turn making it an even more embarrassing exit.

Quick, abrupt departures has long been viewed as the best means to break ties with current employees, it's simply the way things are. There are thousands across the state of Michigan who have been fired in much the same manner. Is it ethical? No, not in my opinion. Though it is simply business as usual. The days of a 2 week notice are long gone.

Rsa

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think the point is that the residents don't like it and want to do something about it.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 943
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not uncommon immediately after a buyout that the new management will cut and slash a fair amount, or even all, the current employees.

Following that move, they may re-interview many of them and rehire the better employees. It's a harsh reality, but that way they can 'cull the herd' and keep the best. Not suggesting that is what is going on here, but could be the logic behind the moves.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 549
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The days of a 2 week notice are long gone.

Since when have employers ever given two weeks notice for a layoff or a firing? Showing someone the door on the Friday they get laid off or fired has always been the S.O.P. except for long term planned union layoffs.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5175
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever wonder how pro athletes might perform during that supposedly standard two weeks after being fired?
quote:

Oops! He didn't fumble three times on purpose that quarter, did he?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11755
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i think the point is that the residents don't like it and want to do something about it.

I'm sure the thousands upon thousands laid off from the auto industry would like to do something about their situation too, but ya know what, it's just the way things are. It's a sad story, but it's a story that is quite common in Michigan these days.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 795
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the same.

The tenants are "customers" of the landlord.

Auto workers don't pay the car company to work.

While I don't know the particulars of the situation, you'd think the company would listen to their customers if they have a problem with the service/product.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to believe that the current employees/staff are making wages that the new landlord couldn't afford to maintain in the interest of keeping the tenants happy. Any decent businessman knows that keeping the customer happy at a reasonable price is good business.

Oh, and there's also integrity, honor and kindness. Concepts long gone from the business world, except in a few rare cases.

*sigh*

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5178
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe there's something about the Lafayette I don't understand. Are the tenants there somewhat lacking in independence or self-esteem that they require those types of security or doormen, etc? Is it some kind of assisted living arrangement or group-home facility for the mentally whatever--a sort of a half-way house between normalcy and a nursing home? Or is it an apartment?

Gotta admit, that I never seen the place closer than a block or two away. I thought it was just some apartment building where people lived--not some social club.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, I thought Dtales original post was pretty straightforward but if I may, for those of you who seem to be confused...

Some of the residents at Lafayette Towers are disappointed in the new landlord's decision to replace the long-time staff. Those same residents appear to be relatively compassionate people looking to take some kind of action to remedy or at least show their dissatisfaction.

The rest depends on how cynical you are.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5178 posts over more than 3 years, talking about a city that you don't like, with people who don't like you.

I'm sure no one is surprised that there is something you don't understand about this situation.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

livernois... if anything, you deserve a nod for being so succesful at getting under people's skin... lol. I actually laughed out loud when I read Jason's comment... hilarious!

Prbdet
Username: Prbdet

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I LIVE AT LAFAYETTE TOWERS AND SOME OF THOSE GUARDS WERE BEGINNING TO BE VERY RUDE. IT SUCKS FOR THE FEW THAT WERE ALWAYS SO NICE TO BE OUT OF A JOB, BUT I ALWAYS WELCOME CHANGE. I JUST HOPE AND PRAY THAT THEY RENOVATE THE BUILDING AND ELEVATORS. I COULD YOUR USE SOME UPDATED APPLIANCES AND NEW CABINETS AND THOSE ELEVATORS ARE SO OLD THEY ARE ALWAYS DOWN! I WILL MISS DELBERT THO, HE WAS SUCH A NICE GUY...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4446
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good input, and welcome. No need for all-caps though.

It would be great to know what Northern's long term plan is. I don't think they'll change the character of the place too much, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do something with the shopping center on Lafayette.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4547
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, nothing illegal about it at all. If there is no contract, no union, there is no recourse. Flat out of a job in the middle of February with no warning, no matter how well you performed or how well you were appreciated. Tough luck right? "Nature red in tooth and claw" at its best.

LY, I truly hope such a fate never befalls you or some disability strike you down and you find yourself cast down among those you ridicule because I seriously question if anyone would be inclined to lift a finger to assist you. Your barely suppressed glee over their plight and, by extension, Detroit's is chilling.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Are the tenants there somewhat lacking in independence or self-esteem that they require those types of security or doormen, etc?"

They are considered "amenities" that people pay good money for. Also, considering that fact that is is home to a statewide elected official and other local 'recognizables', I wouldn't be surprised that they appreciate a little added security.

I do disagree, however, with the "scandal" label. This looks like, plain and simple, a business decision.

Rsa

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mackinaw; the shopping center is now a separate entity from the towers. habitat sold it a few years ago and it's now owned by someone else. in other words, northern has no control of it.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Denis Kolodziej still live at The Lafayette Towers?. I went to high school with him.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its interesting to see some of these comments, versus many from Lafayette Park residents themselves. You see, many who live in LP understand that one of the strengths of this community is exactly that, community. Something it appears many on here have no exposure to. This is a unique area, with many like minded people who exercise a dwindling quality- loyalty. Many residents of this area have lived here for 25-30 years and could easily live elsewhere but have no intention of it. They like it that much and have weathered turbulent times in the city far worse that we see now. Most of them grin when people complain about current problems, they think its a cakewalk. Whether this current situation was a typical wise business decision who knows but its refreshing to see a group of people in the area of it genuinely concerned enough to at least express their opinion. You dont see this is many areas of metro. Nor do you see many people who seem to understand the concept of loyalty, probably because they do not experience it themselves. That is why so many residents of the Lafayette Park area like Detroit so much, they have an existence it seems few other do or understand. As for the foreign concept of a "doorman". Several buildings in the area have them, ( as do many in other large cities). It represents security, awareness,control, a bit of pampering and most of all , a human touch. It kinda pains me to see some on here do not understand that concept either.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.