Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Target at 8 Mile and Van Dyke « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has been awhile since I have in this area, but today I was surprised to see that the Detroit Target closed. When did it close? Why did it close? I remember going in there and thought it was a clean and busy store. With it being on the border it would have gotten business from Warren, Centerline, Hazel Park, all those border communities. This asks the question if Target can fail here, what makes JCPenny think they will have any success down the road?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That location has been closed for at least like 7 or 8 years. The location sucks... it's a deep set back and not really a great find for casual passer by's. There really wasn't a draw other than Toys R Us and I think something like Handy Andy but it wasn't enough to really sustain a Target. They moved to Eastland where the mall had it's own traffic and was more visible.

In my opinion, it wasn't the location, it was it's location in the center itself which kinda killed it. Also it was a smaller footprint store I think which would make standardized inventory a problem.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vizion, Target was at Eastland 10 years before the Bel-Air location closed.

Yes, Target closed back in 2003 and Toys R Us closed after the Christmas of 2001. Big Lots early last year. HQ closed last century.

That place has been on the downfall since the late 90s.

I agree though, that's what I've been worried about with this Gateway Plaza. I assume it was shrinkage and employee issues that caused the Target at Bel-Air to close (Toys R Us likely just wasn't making a profit).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.